#1 The Highwayman

The Highwayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 04:52 PM

Rio Grande King (adaptation)

I've been working on a darker variation of this fly (not sure the RGK is considered a 'classic')

Yellow floss is common, Coachman brown hackle is more common and white wings are more common.

This fly is in the development stage.
Thoughts and comments are welcome.

Hook: M3399

Tag: Gold flat

Tail: P tips

Body: Red Floss and black ostrich herl with oval gold tinsel rib

Hackle: Hen pheasant body

Wing: Gray Mallard primary quill

Head: Black thread

Thanks,

Hwy

Attached File  IMG_2622.JPG   143.95K   45 downloads

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:12 PM

Yep; that  works.

In the old days, it's said that if the game warden stopped an angler and found that they were not carrying a Rio Grande King - or trude - he would write them a ticket!

Of course those are dry flies.

Hope you're well.

Press on - what's the next variant of this one?

I think original RGK had a chenille body - at least as I ever knew it. Is the fly in Bergman's book?

dd

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com

#3 The Highwayman

The Highwayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:48 PM

I don't know and i hate chenille. I will always opt for herl of some sort if I can get away with it. I guess I can look it up in the 'book". I'm just going from memory. 

ps, you are right about the quip and wardens.

#4 The Highwayman

The Highwayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 09:51 PM

variants ??? yellow floss, yellow hackle tail or even crest feather, white wings or yellow wings, coachman brown hackle or hackle of black and yellow mixed

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,895 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

Dear HWY,

I like it !!!...Your 'project' fly is definitly edging to what 'my enemy of the heart' ...friend Dave and myself ....delivered as 'BAD FOOD' for the NON educated trout and other realy 'silly fish' !!!

psttttttttttttttttt Yes I see Your fly in the same 'line' and 'range' in the ALPHABET serie.....

Do I seriously have to 'love' that GREY/slate(ish) in REVERSE set wing on Your "RGK".......GREY has become a 'psycho syndrome' for me YOU know !!! hahahaha

psttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt please don't listen all to much to that 'grey bearded burbler' (psttttttttttttttttt that one isn't afraid to DRIVE a couple of Thousand of miles a year on HIGHWAYS toooooooooooo HAHHAHAHAHAHA...the 'good' thing with gifting such addicted drivers company ...or YOU can sleep well in the back of the car...or or or YOU are damned forced NOT to sleep...as they BURBLER all the time...(yes that normally their defense and 'anger' against those poor people aside them or in the back who wants to do their 'beautysleep')...

psssssttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt it's not for reasons I love a 'strong solid looking head' that YOU must STEP completly in my footsteps...PLEASE TRY to 'pitch' of at least a tinny bit of Your 'next heads'...hahahahahhaa

CONTINUE...euh I see YOU still launched another fly...on that one I will repost 'shorter' than here...I MUST HOLD MY strenght for later this day...

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 The Highwayman

The Highwayman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:14 PM

I can't find the plate... but see in many search engines (internet) that RGK is in the 'Bergman' book. And yes it uses black chenille.

I learned to tie trout flies, taught by a mountain man hermit, on 6xl size 8 hooks, by hand. The only fly I tied for then, beginning at around age 6, were 'wooly worms. Brown chenille, brown hackle, black button hole thread. I caught many many fish. Enough to where 'catching' was no longer important by the time I was an adult. I bought an inexpensive vise (sunrise), I never knew that flies were tied with the use of a vise until that age, after purchasing a book by Eric Leiser. I began tying flies for sale to a major sporting goods store and tied thousands of 'wooly worms' (and muddler minnows and and and) I half promised myself at that time that I would never use chenille again, if I could avoid it. I rarely use it today.

It's just a personal idiosyncrasy. I think ostrich makes for a better 'moving' fly in the water. The first flies I tied, replacing the chenille, were with feathers from a hotel maid's feather duster that was on her cleaning cart. The duster being made up of a bunch of natural brown, black and light colored ostrich herl. The flies I tied with those duster feathers were RGKs with cheap yellow hackle, ostrich herl and white buck tail (I got from a local taxidermist) wing. I was very proud of each trout I caught and released with that wet fly. As proud as catching them on a glass fly rod I built, to which was mounted a pawn shop Pflueger reel (the only reel I owned).

Just a little history about me. Have a fine weekend my friends. Spring is here !!!

ps, I didn't make much profit tying for the sporting goods store. Many of the materials I used to tie were the 'trimmings' from that local taxidermist and... he would often call if he received an animal that was too 'ripe', when brought to him, for him to work with. Including many legally taken birds. Ducks, turkey, pheasant, other range birds. Deer, elk, bear, mnt sheep and goats and etc. These materials made up the bulk of my supplies. (along with 'roadkill'. I doubt that today, one could sell flies to a store that were tied from those wild and natural materials. (having NOT gone through some sort of process to make sure they are disease free).

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:12 PM

All of Heerts flies are diseased.

And he needs as much beauty sleep as NATHALIE will let him get - in the back seat of a moving car or a stationary bath tub!!!!

Good story.

Tie on!
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com

#8 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted Today, 12:31 AM

Great Story Hwy..Nice wet too..I like the reverse wing! Peacock and ostrich herl mix for my buggerswink.png ....Chenille..tongue.png..yuk! 

DL