#1 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted Yesterday, 08:46 PM

Hi Friends

My friend BB..aka..DD tied a few on smaller irons for fishing this Spring.When I saw them I fell in love with them and wanted to tie one on a # 6 Ken Swanda wet fly iron. Sooooo I tied one up last night and I must say it is a beautiful and very classic pattern. I think the red head puts it over the top for me and the gold oval rib is a nice twist too.

Thanks BB for the introduction to a very fishy little pattern.smile.png

Dave

Attached File  DSCN9633.JPG   253.23K   31 downloads

#2 gmck75

gmck75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:34 PM

Beautifully tied fly. I love the hook. Just had a look around but dont think i can get them in the uk. Do you know of any other similar hook?

Cheers

Grant

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,697 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:40 PM

Thanks Dave!

Of course yours is beautiful. I like the gold tag - good idea. A Renegade calls for that, too, but I always made a small ball of orange dubbing to hold the back hackle in place. Replaced the Whit with grizzly,  too: that fly always worked.

What size is this one, Dave? Have fished them this size? Wets, I mean. Lakes? Streams? Both?

I guess I'll tie a few with the wing as you did - like the fly both ways.

A RC wet story:

A friend and I  were fishing the Yellowstone at Buffalo Ford. It was late in September. The water was covered with a #24 or smaller olive mayfly adult emergence. And the cutts were eating them. (This was pre-lake trout decimation; sometime in the mid-80's.) We hooked fish up to about 20 inches. The buffalo roamed; the air was crisp; it was breezy.

I was fishing with a bamboo rod. After hooking a few fish on various imitations - and getting hundreds of refusals: look, follow, tip up - move to eat a natural - I stopped. The cutts at my feet were eating vigorously, and occasionally bumping my feet! Interesting stuff. In my let-the-mind-go-where-it-will mode: you know, taring off over the other bank. seeing the herd of grazing buffalo, rising trout, trout bumping my feet, insects galore - I thought about the old books that reported using a brace of wet flies. And frequently, one was a Coachman wet. It so happened that I had a few #10 RC Wets, tied with calf wing, brown hen and tippet tail. Looking down the current, I thought the trout down there are probably eating stuff my feet are dislodging. And then, these guys can't have developed enough that they wouldn't take a wet; a big wet.

I clipped off the #24 fly and the tippet back, tied on a length of 4X, and tied on the #10 wet. Stripped out some line, and made a roll cast down and across the current, then stripped out a little more line. Let it swing. On about the third swing, I felt the pull - long and slow, followed by a surge and a thrash.

After landing the fish, I was giggling. My friend looked at me with a smirk - we fished together a lot, and he knew something was up. I releasaed the trout, reeled in the line, and waded back toward the bank he was fishing.

"What'd it take?" he asked.

I showed him.

He waited; shook his head, and said, "Let's go home."

I was already clipping off the fly and reeling up my line as he said it. And a twelve hour drive was ahead of us.

We actually stopped in Dubois, WY for a steak, and decided to get a room for the night, too. Can't remember, but the story would be better if I dreamed of a cutt that took a swung Grey Hackle Yellow.

The moral: try a wet. Trout are stupid, anyway, and might just take one!

What'd you use for hackle?

Lovely fly.

dd/bb

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com

#4 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,437 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:00 PM

Dear DAVE,

Amazing 'classic' YOU tied my 'friend'

Amazing 'story' YOU tell us my 'enemy of the heart' DD

Love them see 'her' tied with that reverse wing...looks honestly good and soooooooooo fishy  !!!

Ah YOU don't hear me saying we must tie them all this 'way'.....but it's good that this 'wing style' receives the meritted 'LIVE UP' !!!

A classic fly by a became one of the greatest classic wet and streamer flytyers !!! BRAVO !!!

pstttttttttttttttt REDHEADS are the most 'sexy' of them all (psttttttttttt but but but DAVE  YOU mustn't ask or bring that over to my 'enemy' of the heart DD...as that 'one' sees ONLY out of ONE 'eye'...BLONDES and FORMER BLONDES ...especially his Shan !!!...yes some men only look 'EYE SHORT' !!! hahahaha

pstttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt ah a pitty I am not a coach ...and a pitty  I am not a Royal....................ah I feel myself 'happy' to be a simple 'observer' !!!...

Euh I wonder why some flyfishing writers wrote allready some books or articles on 'EDUCATED TROUT'...if my 'enemy of the heart DD' is talking that trout are STUPID !!!......ah just  thinker ...even a observation  !!! hahahahaha

BBB...a former 'REDHEAD'

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#5 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted Today, 12:33 AM

Thanks Guys!

Great story Dale...I agree they can be very dumb at times. The hook is a Ken Sawada size 6. The hackle is from a red grouse.

Most of the wets I fish are soft hackles, but I have had good luck with the Alexandra and Magalloway wet flies in  size 6 on both rivers and ponds.

Geert..I don't believe you were ever a red head!..no-way no-how! BUT I do agree that they (Red Heads) are the most attractive!...but don't tell my Brunette. wink.png

Grant..I don't know of any other hook of this style..if you PM me your addy I can send you a few. here's a link to the hooks.

http://www.kensawada.com/w/list.php?lcat=40&mcat=215&l=e

#6 squire123

squire123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted Today, 05:52 AM

One of my top ten favorite patterns and a very good example.

Regards,

Squire

#7 gmck75

gmck75

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted Today, 09:48 AM

Thanks Guys!

Grant..I don't know of any other hook of this style..if you PM me your addy I can send you a few. here's a link to the hooks.

http://www.kensawada.com/w/list.php?lcat=40&mcat=215&l=e

Hi Davel,  thanks very much for the kind offer but i like what i see in the link so ill just go and order a few packs. Thanks again,  its very generous of you and much appreciated.

Regards

Grant

#8 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted Today, 12:18 PM

Davel, that's a nice Royal Coachman with a beautiful wing!

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: WET FLY