12 replies to this topic

#1 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:28 AM

I'm heading out for a 2 day business trip and thought I'd take a shot at this one before I left.

Mustad 3123 #5

As usual, I forgot something, yellow in the throat.

I'm not disappointed with this one though, it's my first time working with Wood Duck feathers.  I wish I was able to get the wing shaped a little better, but I am happy that it laid nicely on the hook shank. 

I also gave a little better effort to clean up the head.

Hope you like it.

Jon

E60Gdhs.jpg

#2 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:58 AM

Nice!!

#3 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:01 AM

Sweet!! Jon I think you've found your niche!!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#4 jockeyb6

jockeyb6

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

Excellent fly! Looks great and this certainly is a good pattern choice.

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

Dear JON,

Yes I like it !!! and I mean my words !!!

Ah ah ah steady practise pays off for everybody ...be it tying flies...be it doing other things...

Fly looks damned good  is all I will commentariat...because I love what I see !!! (got it ! hahahahaha)

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Thanks everyone, that means a lot!

I think taking a couple days off from the vise will do me some good.

One of the side aspects I'm enjoying in tying these flies is that people are now asking me to tie for them.  A buddy made a wood end table and wants me to make him a bunch of Bergman patterns to imbed into the wood, makes me feel good, but I also want to make sure I do them as best I can.

PS. I just realized it should be Tomah Jo, not Joe;  oops.

Thanks again,

Jon

#7 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Jon,  first time with woody and you did pretty good. 

Here are few suggestions for woody...

The smaller the feather the softer the fibers so the smaller flanks make it a little easier to tied in.  The size you used is not bad.

Wing hight for wets is a subject that will cause fist fights.   tie the fly anyway you wish, but the next one try to put the width of the wing about 3/4 the gap.

Many times flank feathers such as teal, mallard and woody will be easier to work with if they are folded in half.  that is find a suitable feather for the fly, and cut out a section more than twice as wide as you need.   You are NOT cutting a matched set of wings from two different feathers.  Carefully straighten the fibers until the entire section is shaped more like a rectangle than a rhombus.    Now fold down the middle (double the section) .  You'll most probably have the sides uneven in width ,so now remove a few fibers from the bottom of the wing until you have the width you want.  

You can also take TWO double wide sections, place them on top of each other and make a heavier wing.  So when finished the wing will have four wings, two on each side.   The extra bulk makes it easier to manipulate .

Any of these suggestions will  give you a different look to the fly.

#8 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Awesome Ted, thank you very much!

I appreciate the detailed reply.

#9 S FONTINALIS

S FONTINALIS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:40 PM

Definitely looks good. I agree about the wing.

#10 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

Jon,  first time with woody and you did pretty good. 

Here are few suggestions for woody...

The smaller the feather the softer the fibers so the smaller flanks make it a little easier to tied in.  The size you used is not bad.

Wing hight for wets is a subject that will cause fist fights.   tie the fly anyway you wish, but the next one try to put the width of the wing about 3/4 the gap.

Many times flank feathers such as teal, mallard and woody will be easier to work with if they are folded in half.  that is find a suitable feather for the fly, and cut out a section more than twice as wide as you need.   You are NOT cutting a matched set of wings from two different feathers.  Carefully straighten the fibers until the entire section is shaped more like a rectangle than a rhombus.    Now fold down the middle (double the section) .  You'll most probably have the sides uneven in width ,so now remove a few fibers from the bottom of the wing until you have the width you want.  

You can also take TWO double wide sections, place them on top of each other and make a heavier wing.  So when finished the wing will have four wings, two on each side.   The extra bulk makes it easier to manipulate .

Any of these suggestions will  give you a different look to the fly.

Very well done Jon..with at sometimes can be a difficult feather to master!..your starting to hit on all cylinders!...keep'em comin!

Great suggestions Ted!....does it make a difference if the open part of the fold on the woody is facing up or down when you tie it in?

Thanks!

Dave 

#11 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Again, thanks everyone.

Eunan, I just landed in your neck of the woods. I'm in Philly headed to Hartford in an hour.

#12 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:50 PM

dave , as with all wet fly wings...your choice, tho i haven't seen any woody wings tye in lik e that for simple wets but why not.  

#13 Thebugman

Thebugman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,104 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

very nicely tied..you got it now..

Kenny