• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emb

emb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone! I am currently wrapping up a book project on female fly tiers to be published by Whitefish Press this year, and am looking for some help in locating photos to include in the book. As you all know, these older and historical items can be hard to track down.

I am looking for photos of Frances Stearns and Megan Boyd.

Also, any photos of flies tied by Carrie Frost, Elizabeth Stairing Benjamin, Sara Jane McBride, Elizabeth Greig, Winnie Dette, Mary Dette Clark, Elsie Darbee, Helen Shaw, Frances Stearns or Megan Boyd.

I would just need a high resolution photograph, with credit given in the finished book if used, of course!

I truly appreciate any help on tracking some of these down.

Erin

#2 kgm

kgm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:29 PM

Try contacting Ron Sutherland, enquiries@helmsdalecompany.com with regard to Megan Boyd.

Ron has her original vice and I assume a good number of her original flies and maybe pictures of the lady herself.

"Is ann an ceann bliadhna a dh’innseas iasgair a thuiteamas."
Kenny MacIver, Kilkenny, Ireland but a Leodhasach forever

#3 emb

emb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:40 PM

Try contacting Ron Sutherland, enquiries@helmsdalecompany.com with regard to Megan Boyd.

Ron has her original vice and I assume a good number of her original flies and maybe pictures of the lady herself.

kgm - That sounds really promising! I'll contact Ron right away. Thanks so much!

#4 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,638 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:13 AM

The Schmookler and Sils book 'Forgotten Flies' has some great pictures of both Carrie Stevens, Mary Orvis Marbury, plus the fabulous lady Orvis tyers. Not sure if you could use them, but there they are.

#5 emb

emb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

The Schmookler and Sils book 'Forgotten Flies' has some great pictures of both Carrie Stevens, Mary Orvis Marbury, plus the fabulous lady Orvis tyers. Not sure if you could use them, but there they are.

Hey Mike -- I have that book on my shelf! The photo rights/etc. are hard to track down....but I've had some success. Thanks for the pointer and I'll dig a little deeper. 

#6 Ephemerella

Ephemerella

Peter Simonson, Greenville, NH, USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 12:53 AM

For rights to photos of Carrie Stevens and Cornelia "Fly Rod" Crosby, contact Don Palmer, curator of the Rangeley Outdoor Heritage Museum in Oquossoc, Maine at info@rangeleyoutdoormuseum.org

#7 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:44 AM

the catskill museum has a standing tribute to "the women of fly fishing"  contact the museum...

#8 emb

emb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

For rights to photos of Carrie Stevens and Cornelia "Fly Rod" Crosby, contact Don Palmer, curator of the Rangeley Outdoor Heritage Museum in Oquossoc, Maine at info@rangeleyoutdoormuseum.org

Peter -- Thanks much! I'll contact. 

#9 emb

emb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:45 AM

the catskill museum has a standing tribute to "the women of fly fishing"  contact the museum...

Ted -- Will do. Thank you!