#1 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

Attached File  woody%20flank.jpg   63.31K   145 downloads

here are two "even" wood duck flank feathers.  the one on the right has softer barbs and is perfect for wet fly wings, tails on wets and nymphs and very useful for wings on dries.

there are some flank feathers that are too soft for anything other than wets and nymphs.

the one on the left is highly favored by dry fly fanatics.   long stiff fibers, perfect for wings and the "old" patterns that the feathers that were used when woody was called for tails of dry flies.  

so much to talk about ...love it.

#2 Thebugman

Thebugman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

to me the long stiffer barbs would be on the right feather..and the softer feather is to the left..maybe im wrong,but i would much rather use the feather on the right for wings and tails on dry flies..theres nothing quite like good woody feathers from mature birds..im lucky enough to have bags of it..but my pillow is getting smaller and smaller

Kenny

#3 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:57 AM

I learned a lot about feathers just tying with wood duck.  As you guys mentioned, those flank feathers vary quite a bit, I take my time sorting them for size, shade, barring and structure.  

Another thing I am always interested in is the various ways that tiers go about attaching them to the hook.  I have heard guys using 2 feathers for winging, others stripping the barbs and bunching them and still others tying the feather on whole and splitting it with thread wraps... no right or wrong way but interesting nonetheless. 

CJ    

#4 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

Senor YO!

Great! Man, do I love wood duck. Tied a few Quill Gordons while Geert, Jeff and Keith were here, and as always took great care sprinkled with much affection for the wing.

Thanks, Teddy.

dale

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com