12 replies to this topic

#1 orvisguy

orvisguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

Talked with Alberto about his vise at the show. Anyone else here use one? Your thoughts (pro or con)?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

#2 steelyjim

steelyjim

Jim Haswell Midland, Michigan U.S.A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Paul R., Keith and I think Geert all use them. I think I herd they love them for big flies but not so much for the smalls. Maybe they'll chime in later.
I assume that's the T-Rex your refering to....
Jim Haswell

#3 orvisguy

orvisguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yep! And I agree, for small flies, it doesn't seem as if it would be nearly as good as a single-jaw vise.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

#4 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,949 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

Yep! And I agree, for small flies, it doesn't seem as if it would be nearly as good as a single-jaw vise.

Dear ORVISGUY,

I ordered mine when I was at Somerset in 2010 (two years ago)...it was there that Alberto for the first time 'used' this vise !

After two years of 'using' it...it became my BEST 'friend' (and this right from the start I used this vise)

For big flies it's a jewel ...it's holds marvellously any hooks (big hooks)...and they vise does all what I ask from 'it'...

The vise comes also with 'ONE' jawclam...wich YOU can use for smaller flies...but but but I must admit that there are 'far better' vises for tying MINI flies (the reason why I changed from my Marc Petit Jean vise at that time to the Trex laid in the fact that the 'Swiss' vise didn't holded big artisinal salmon hooks)...

psttttttttt but as said I tie easely my wets and some flymphs and dries also on my T rex vise...but again there are better vises for the realy small stuff to tie

I know besides the names my 'best' friend JIM gifted with as members who are using with good result such a Trex vise (also JEFF DICKEY has one aswell BRUNO PIMPANINI from France !)

Geert
/quote]
Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#5 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:41 PM

I too was hanging out with Alberto, and I asked him about that vise. The very first thing he said was that with 2 jaws you can put 1/2 the pressure on the hook without fear of harming the finish. The fact that he paints and bakes his reworked hooks makes this a real plus, as since they are not jappaned the finish probably is not as hard.

That dude tyes a nice fly though, his Traherne series was unbelievable! CJ

#6 orvisguy

orvisguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:22 AM

Yes, he does tie a mean fly. The framed pair on the front of the table was amazing!

#7 catskilljohn

catskilljohn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Yes, he does tie a mean fly. The framed pair on the front of the table was amazing!

The Ghost flies! You got that right, he is amazing. CJ

#8 steelyjim

steelyjim

Jim Haswell Midland, Michigan U.S.A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,256 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

And there all BIG flies too.
Jim Haswell

#9 keithciesla

keithciesla

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yeah I use the smaller single jaw for small flies I have tied down to size 24's on it and have not had a problem. I love it for irons the whole concept of having two points of contact with jaws is excellent. I think Alberto's vise will be a one and only for a long time for me!

Keith

#10 billtiesflies

billtiesflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:40 PM

I also have a T Rex vise Love it for big hooks. Sometimes for small ones two. But usually use my regal for most trout flies and my HMH for small hooks also. Love the T Rex though. Recommend it.

#11 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

I have lots of vices (or is it vises ;-)))).... but for me the Cottarelli works well with flies large and small - it particularly excels with larger flies with the 2 jaws as little pressure is needed on the hooks and no doubt for those who want to protect the finish on a "fancy" hook it is the best. The smaller single jaw for the trout flies also works absolutely fine... you just change the 2 larger jaws for the smaller trout jaw... one thing about this vice is the many different angles in which it can be moved - not just a rotary but fully adjustable in every direction... certainly recommended as an all around vice (all hand-made in Italy & not on a production line - & only as a c-clamp basically due to the master craftsman's philosophy that he makes all parts of the vice and thus no molded base) ... given that I have a few other vices (eg Renzettis and vintage hand-held vices) and I do use them all at times... especially when I have a hook chucked up in the T-Rex but need to bang out a few fishing flies..

For those interested this is from my good friend Alberto's website and explains the vice in detail: http://www.artisticf...RELLI_VISE.html

Cheers
Lee

#12 FranceFly

FranceFly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,770 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

For me too, the Cottarelli vice is the best for big hooks ...
All the best,
Bruno

#13 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

Mike-I love my Cottarelli. It does everything that I could ask from a vise. Trout flies down to 28 are not a problem. You just switch to the trout jaws and position the axis so that you have complete accessibility to the fly. Never a problem. And the obvious reasons for the two point contact for salmon flies on handmade hooks goes without saying. PaulR