Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:39 PM
I have lots of confidence that YOU will be coming where YOU want to come !
A big BRAVO for the 'way' YOU bring this "CHARLIE"...with all the ingredients 'used' ...and a adorable fly in the 'finish' !
It's evident Steve that YOUR fly can't look like one of Dave Carne's ...but if I must compare my second or third ...WHAT do I say here ...if I must compare my tenth or fifteenth with YOUR CHARLIE ...well YOURS here is ten times better than my 10 th or 15 th.
YOU made a realy nice pattern chooice tooooooooo as a starter fly ...
- even it's a old hook ...it seems a difficult 'one' to find the 'start' positions of tip/tag and tail and butt and body (I know there isn't a butt subscribed...so allways difficult !)
- next time watch the angle where YOUR tip/tag starts - seems strange 'angled' (IMO)...and I don't think it's Your photography...
- tail is (IMO) perfect of hight but but but a 'TAD' to long ...provoking a bit Your wing who had to follow in lenght...and as this HOOK is seemingly short and compact ...it results with Your wing who's on for the impression 'tad to long'...
- nice rear sealsfur part ...there seems a visible gap with the front body part...good bodyhackle
- would had opted to put on a 'broader' oval tinsel than now is the case (even on this 2/0) to give balance to this 'solid short wide gaped' hook...
- underwing had could been a fraction longer tooooo ...remember for Your next or future flies to do allways Your best to align the SECOND bar of the GP tippets with the butt (ofcourse here there wasn't a butt)
- not bad a wing ...it took time to marry all the slips togheter (hahahahaha...but good so !)...nice proportioned wing in relation the hook and hookgape (IMO) ...but but but it can that the 'tie in spot' of Your wing is a bit too much forward in relation to Your throath ...
- not a bad roof at all ...even a realy lovely broad 'one'...and I love the pintail sides tooooo (a bit splayed in all directions - if this was on purpose I let it in the middle)
- head will be a working point ...did YOU used cobblerswax !!! (a must !!! to work away all the uneven rests after the cut ! or scissoring !)
CONTINUE STEVE ...as YOU brought over in Your selfcritque ...YOU learned and experienced some things (that's the good part to progression !)