A more recent example of a fishing fraudster would be George Herter. Bill

#22 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 11:07 AM

Ain't that the truth!!!! You might add hustler to that moniker....

GRK

Petri Heil,

George

><))))))*>

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But...I've never been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#23 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:18 PM

i am a firm believer that nothing is new in fly tying...even the brandy new man made materials are nothing more than substitues for what has already been tried.   anything that comes in strands can be wound on hook or used as winging or dry fly wings...etc.

after something like 2000 years of man putting stuff onto a hook i cannot see how anything can be claimed as original...

#24 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 01:45 PM

Nothing "new" perhaps but much that is creative and continues along that path. Tiers have myriad more available than composers, who use but twelve separate pitches since JS Bach composed two books of the Well Tempered Klavier in the early 1700's. To say that Haydn and Mozart didn't compose new music , let alone Bartok or Berg would be foolish. At some point a JS came out of what had come before, as Beethoven's. 9th symphony did from previous tradition.
That which is the same is the same. That which is different is not the same.
While I hold to Solomon's nothing new under the sun, humanity rains creative in how it shuns God and badgers one another. And music and flies continue to be creative and sometimes delightful.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com

#25 jgogg

jgogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:53 PM

To add a couple more cents worth, I think it doesn't tell you very much to know that Kelson claimed credit for the design of some flies that he did not design or his friends did not design where he claimed that for his friends. He told other tall tales as well.  He WAS a fisherman after all.  He was one of us!!  And he certainly was a good fisherman and a good fly tier who DID design some flies and did a great deal to promote salmon fishing and fly tying.  Calling him names now seems pretty pointless.

As an aside, I'm not sure he was even in the league with George Leonard Herter for stating pure baloney as fact and Herter published far more than Kelson did.  I have all Herter's  books and they are a HOOT to read.

#26 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

To add a couple more cents worth, I think it doesn't tell you very much to know that Kelson claimed credit for the design of some flies that he did not design or his friends did not design where he claimed that for his friends. He told other tall tales as well.  He WAS a fisherman after all.  He was one of us!!  And he certainly was a good fisherman and a good fly tier who DID design some flies and did a great deal to promote salmon fishing and fly tying.  Calling him names now seems pretty pointless.

As an aside, I'm not sure he was even in the league with George Leonard Herter for stating pure baloney as fact and Herter published far more than Kelson did.  I have all Herter's  books and they are a HOOT to read.

herter...i agree, the top of this list,

although i think there is some truth and/or relevancy in his exclamations but with so much bull it's impossible to say zero in on any truisms...

#27 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

hahahahaha,  like I stated in another post talking of horns. fishermen will be fishermen, fish will be fish.  fishermen, they will never change.  kelson was no different .  and some of you think his books and words are holy grail! stolen from others?  I bet if you sat with him and talked he always caught the biggest fish and the most and can you imagine how big the one that got away was?  kelson, yep he was a fisherman no doubt

imagine all the flies that have been tied from his book discriptions that were actually patterns stolen from other fishermen.  and tiers state clearly after posting works from his books,  kelson

so after reading this, if I understand correctly, I can take a particular pattern, change some small application on it and call it my own? and publish a book?

and think about this, recently published books on flies, with recipes and credit given to kelson on particular patterns, and it could be all BS?  hahaha.  so all hoopla in the past few years pattern books crediting kelson might be all bullshit?  somebody better do some more comprehensive research and credit these patterns to the true tiers and not kelsons self proclaimed fly tying bible. kelson wasn't a god, in todays world he would have been called a turd

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flysearch&gettyer=Bud Guidry

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#28 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Raelingen ____ southeast Norway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hm... Someone who writes books is a writer, not a fisherman. Think about it, I think it matters. The difference is that money is involved, and so it is easy to make the step from fisherman to thief.

#29 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,007 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 02:18 AM

it was easier for kelson to make the step from fisherman to liar

I know many many  fishermen who have written books and writers who fish. the fishermen  I know who have written books? they have some big fish stories too and that is the basis of money that's involved

I even know one who has written an article about fly fishing for bonefish in the keys, but admitted to me he has never caught a bonefish in his life,  money driven fisherman, fishermen will be fishermen, fish will be fish

kelson was a writer or a fisherman? and yes I agree with you it matters.

I've fished all my life, fisherman, I think so, spent 25+ years living over water fishing almost every day. I still fish a lot      but     I also have things I've written that's been published, writer?  nahhhhhhh but I do have published work that's copywrited in a hard cover coffee table book. so Robert, because I have been a writer i'm not a fisherman

all this kelson aside, would be nice to have someone do more research and find the original tiers who built these flies and give them credit for their work. this would be a book that would sell. I know I would buy one only to read and enjoy the true history of these flies. i'm sure it would be a monumental task but I bet you would buy one to . sad that someone didn't do this long ago when memory was still fresh in the days of old. it should have been done when kelson was called out by Marston.

the article claims marston wrote the true inventers of particular patterns, wouldn't this be a hugh start if this is in print already?

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act=flysearch&gettyer=Bud Guidry

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#30 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Raelingen ____ southeast Norway

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:29 AM

You are a writing fisherman then. I suppose you have a point...

I wonder what happened with Marston's information. Knowing the history behind patterns is a huge part of the hobby for most of us. So much information has been lost, just look in Barry's and Dave's book under "lost Salmon patterns", or take the Ghost flies for instance. We can only speculate, and in the end, we know nothing about them, where they were invented and what river or type of fishing they were used for. I guess Kelson failed as a writer, because we depend on such writers to carry information on into the future.