cadgdp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:35 PM

Attached File  LO__.JPG   721.86K   64 downloads

Hi Friends
This is number two of the seventeen flies from Joe Bates " Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing" that appear in plate six.of the book. For those who would like to tie along I will be doing them from left to right and from top to bottom. This makes the Red Fin next . Also tied and featured is the second fly from the Trout Fin series . It is the red or canadian version.

The "Dr Oatman" is a fly that Mr Oatman originated for his father who was a country doctor. I sometimes wonder what inspires people to create. I can't help but wonder with this fly being predominantly white was Lew influenced by the red cross symbol or some tramatic event he witnessed ? This is the only fly in the series with a two tone body.If so then where does the yellow throat fit in ? It is tied again on a mustad 3665A size 2.

The Red Trout Fin is based more on the Dette file photo that Teddy added. In Bate's book the body is flat tinsel but BG's fly shows embossed. Also the book photo shows the wing tips up . Was this for show? staged at the time of shooting.Royce mentioned pattern variations. Again I can't help but wonder were the pattern variations a matter of adjusting the pattern to make it more of a fish killer or a people catcher ? I just finished reading "Blue Upright" by SteveRaymond . He writes of modifying flies to take more fish or to be easier to tie. I throw this out there because we meaning those who love to tie these flies especially the artistic brethren seem always hellbent on tying more elaborate ,colorfull and complex patterns.

again I apologize for the bad photos. By the end of this series I have every intention of shooting the entire series again with a much better camera.

Well again I thank you for taking the time to look and for those who choose to lend their thoughts

Best Glenn

#2 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,800 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:21 PM

Dear GLENN,

I want to bring 'over' ....

THANKS for this TWO (2) beautyful streamers ...in the 'serie' YOU are on train doing !

they both again looking splendid !...

I have a preference but it wouldn't be fair against that also lovely 'other ONE' ! wink !

great work 'overall' on both of them !

and and and furthermore THANKS for ALL the withgoing INFORMATION !

Geert/Gerald
Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#3 david g

david g

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,125 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 09:29 PM

Gorgeous...both of em.

dg

#4 fly tyer 27

fly tyer 27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:00 PM

nice flies, the picture is a little blurry though
ya know yer a redneck if ya bring a fishin pole into seaworld

ya know yer a redneck if da center piece on yer kitchen table is
made by a taxadermist

gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty

#5 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hey Glenn,...I love every thing about the Dr. Oatman.. hook,fat lookin body,lots of ribs, two tone floss wub.gif
and I'm also a sucker for those Trout Finns. Very nice work Glenn! smile.gif

How do you wrap the underbody on the Oatman to make it look fat?

Thanks!
Dave

#6 cadgdp

cadgdp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:31 AM

Hi Dave
there are two actual tutorials on the site already. Bud did one using UTC threads in sizes 140 and 70. Andy Boek did the other using uni strecth. I use a combination of both of these but the keys are to burnish hard in between each row . I start with the unistretch and wrap side by side down the shank with flat wraps, reverse the floss and go back to the starting point. I burnish hard. I then move the floss rearward again but stop short of where I ended the prior trip ( maybe two three turns) reverse and go back to the starting point . Burnish again. I do this several more times until I have the shape . On the last pass up I tie off the floss with UTC 70 . This is then taken to the rear with flat side by side wraps and burnished . I am then ready to tie in the body floss. Tail and tinsel were tied in prior to the underbody work. I forget the exact names that the tutorials are under but they are both in the classic salmon fly section of the forum. If Bud sees this maybe he can re post where it is . Hope this helps . If you can't find it let me know and I will look them up and let everyone know . The greatest gift this site has to offer is that we can learn from each other . The legacy of the flies and the people who originated them is carried on . We are history and tradition !! I feel personelly gratefull to be part of what is really centuries of art !!!

To all who take the time again my sincere thanks
Best Glenn

#7 cadgdp

cadgdp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 04:13 AM

Hi guys
I went over to the classic and artistic forum and found the two tutorials that I used

the first is on page fourteen and titled "albasurf,updated with more pics" done by Bud Guidry. Very good

the second is on page thirtyeight and titled "how to make a tapered body" by Andy Boek . using the unistretch floss

thought it easier to find if I listed it so those wanting to learn can.

Best Glenn

#8 slowpoke

slowpoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:41 PM

Really GOOD looking flies,Glen
Looking forward to more of these beauties
Joe
SELF PROCLAIMED SLACKER KING

#9 flyryan

flyryan

Ryan Houston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

i really like those long married wing streamers very clean tying

Ryan Houston

to see the rest of the flies i have tied just visit my website or facebook page and browse my photos or galleries

http://www.ryansflies.co.uk

https://www.facebook...ikeFlies?ref=hl

#10 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,638 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:50 AM

Great looking ties, Glenn. All the 'right stuff'!!

#11 kelkay

kelkay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Gorgeous ties. I especially like the first one. I hope to tie as well one day.

#12 Don Bastian

Don Bastian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:53 PM

Glenn:

Thanks for the fine display here of your work, and for taking the time to explain and answer in in detail. The flies look great! I'm sure everyone appreciates it; I have been so busy lately and still will be for a while that my time here is somewhat limited.

And on top of that, somewhere along the way of my road trip to Maine, I lost my camera bag. In it were my battery charger, two camera cards. both with photos on (though I think I had actually downloaded most of them...), and my cords to hook to the TV & computer. So downloading I have to use the card into my HP scanner, which is a slow, s-l-o-w process compared to Microsoft Windows Office Picture Mgr.

No one seems to know where it is...I can't remember, and it's not at my brother's, not at my daughter's, and not at L. L. Bean...I do have my camera and two cards, and all the photo of the Bean Expo, and the ones of the wet fly Trout color plates...whew!

Keep up the good work Glenn!

Don
Don Bastian

My Wet Fly Blog Page / Gallery:

http://donbastianwet...s.wordpress.com

Some of my wet fly work from Forgotten Flies may be found at:

http://www.rareandun...outwetflies.htm

And streamer tying examples at:

http://www.rareandun...dictionary.html

"Passion never fails to wrest the scepter from reason." --- Thomas Jefferson

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again - more intelligently." --- Henry Ford