ClassicFlyTying.com Sponsors
Hand Made Salmon Hooks
Ronn Lucas, Sr.
www.ronnlucassr.com
(503)654-0466
ronn@ronnlucassr.com

Photo

Need help in identifying vintage Salmon flies 1930's to early 1950's.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrbob4664

mrbob4664

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:28 PM

Hello,

I am looking for help identifying vintage Atlantic Salmon flies from the 30s to the 50s.

My Great-Grandfather was an avid Atlantic Salmon fisherman in eastern Canada. He owned a portion of a river in NB for some 30+ years and traveled up from Long Island NY to fish Atlantic Salmon 2 to 3 weeks per year. He did this from the late 1930s to the earlier 1950s.

I am looking for help in identifying the patterns, the tiers etc. of the salmon flies. If anyone can help out with identification or point me in the right direction to get help Id greatly appreciate it. I can take closer individual pictures of any of the flies if needed. The wooden fly trays are 9.5 x 7 and the fly boxes are 6 x 3.5. If you want to get a hold of me by e-mail the address is bobbybbks@comcast.net .

Thanks,

Bob

#2 Monquarter

Monquarter

Marc LeBlanc

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 03:45 PM

Hi Bob,

Do you know what river system he used to own/fish? There are 3 main river systems in New Brunswick and they all have unique flies. The 3 systems are 1) Miramichi 2) Restigouche and 3) Saint John. My bet it was the Miramichi system as it had/has the most developed riparian rights (i.e. water ownership) system.

Assuming it is in fact the Miramichi system, you should contact Jerry Doak at www.wwdoak.com. Jerry runs a fabulous fly shop dab in the middle of the Miramichi river system. The fly shop has been there for decades. Jerry should be able to identify most if not all the flies and the tiers. Chances are Jerry's dad was one of the tiers. Most of the other tiers around supplied Doak's. If he can't help, I would ask Jerry for the phone # for the salmon museum located next to Jerry's shop. One of the museum curators may be able to answer your question.

Good luck!

Marc

#3 mrbob4664

mrbob4664

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 05:44 PM

QUOTE (Monquarter @ Oct 22 2010, 11:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bob,

Do you know what river system he used to own/fish? There are 3 main river systems in New Brunswick and they all have unique flies. The 3 systems are 1) Miramichi 2) Restigouche and 3) Saint John. My bet it was the Miramichi system as it had/has the most developed riparian rights (i.e. water ownership) system.

Assuming it is in fact the Miramichi system, you should contact Jerry Doak at www.wwdoak.com. Jerry runs a fabulous fly shop dab in the middle of the Miramichi river system. The fly shop has been there for decades. Jerry should be able to identify most if not all the flies and the tiers. Chances are Jerry's dad was one of the tiers. Most of the other tiers around supplied Doak's. If he can't help, I would ask Jerry for the phone # for the salmon museum located next to Jerry's shop. One of the museum curators may be able to answer your question.

Good luck!

Marc

Thanks Marc, I'll contact Jerry and see if he can help. I have contacted the Atlantic salmon museum already and they have been of some help. I will let you know how I make out. Thanks again for your help.

Bob