8 replies to this topic

#1 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

My Thompson Wing former arrived and I put it through it's paces with a couple goose broads. I must say, I'm impressed. Formerly I used the little balsa/stick pin tools as described by AK in his Production Fly Tying book, but in my humble estimation the Thompson beats those hands down. The medium sized former produced sixteen matched pairs of beautifully formed wings in a real jiffy. A very neat little tool! Here's a pic of one of the mottled goose broads... Cheers, Alec

Attached Files

• Attached File  twf.JPG   97.88K   261 downloads

Alec M. Stansell

TraditionalFlies.jpg

www.favoriteflies.com

#2 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 06:06 PM

Looks great, have lost out on a few of those on ebay lately. But that system looks really good.

Fatman

#3 newfie

newfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 07:59 PM

could someone explain it to me?

#4 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 01 March 2007 - 10:08 PM

Newfie - The entire feather is placed onto an aluminum block and clamped under a wire that runs parallel to the center quill. A small amount of head cement is painted onto the feather, alongside the wire, and a very pointy "comb" is placed through the barbules and through a groove cut into the aluminum block. The entire jig is set aside until the cement dries. When dry, the "comb" is removed and the feather is rendered as pictured above. Wings can then be clipped off of the feather as needed. There are three different size combs for different size wings. The secret to good results is proper material selection and proper cement application. Cheers, Alec

Attached Files

Alec M. Stansell

TraditionalFlies.jpg

www.favoriteflies.com

#5 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hey fellows I'm bumping this old thread 'cause I've been tying a bunch of wets and broke out the Thompson wing former again and have just been delighted with how handy this old tool is. It's not appropriate for all wetflies - married wings for instance, but for single color wings it sure is great. I also wanted to note that since the above was posted I saw a TWF that had a set of 5 or 6 combs - mine has only three. The really small comb I saw would be excellent for tails.

Thompson Wing Former in use

Alec M. Stansell

TraditionalFlies.jpg

www.favoriteflies.com

#6 Park1

Park1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 January 2011 - 09:37 PM

Easterngray

Thanks for posting this. I have never seen one before. I have been using a drafting compass as I have never seen the tool that A.K. uses in his video to seperate even wing slips.

Dan

#7 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:42 AM

WOW!........THATS COOL smile.gif ..Do they still make those? how much does something like that cost?
Thanks!
Dave

#8 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 01:47 PM

Davel - It is called a Thompson Wing Former - no longer made. Keep your eyes on ebay for one. If your are patient you should be able to get one for a reasonable cost. Alec

QUOTE (DAVEL @ Jan 29 2011, 08:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
WOW!........THATS COOL smile.gif ..Do they still make those? how much does something like that cost?
Thanks!
Dave

Alec M. Stansell

TraditionalFlies.jpg

www.favoriteflies.com

#9 Don Bastian

Don Bastian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 02:52 PM

Quite interesting Alex, thanks for posting & the photos.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day; he lives in Laporte, Pennsylvania, the second coldest, snowiest spot in the state except for Bradford.

I'm going to go visit him after my weekend wet fly class on Feb. 11 - 13; he's only about 20 minutes from there, up Rt. 239 and I don't know what other road.

Anyway, he has a Thompson wing former and doesn't use it anymore, he's bringing it to my class to see if someone is interested in buying it. I have no idea what they go for, or what it's worth...

If any of you are serious I can ask him, maybe he'd accept e-mail offers to buy it outright?

Let me know, send e-mail please, not PM. For some reason, even though I have e-mail notification replies activated in my settings, I don't get them. (I used to?).

E-mail is faster and direct...
Don Bastian

My Wet Fly Blog Page / Gallery:

http://donbastianwet...s.wordpress.com

Some of my wet fly work from Forgotten Flies may be found at:

http://www.rareandun...outwetflies.htm

And streamer tying examples at:

http://www.rareandun...dictionary.html

"Passion never fails to wrest the scepter from reason." --- Thomas Jefferson

"Failure is the opportunity to begin again - more intelligently." --- Henry Ford