3 replies to this topic

#1 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 02:40 AM

After reading this numerous times in Farlows, what is it?

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#2 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:57 PM

Jim,

Which Farlow's catalogue(s) did this come from, or was there another source?  I'll be glad to do some digging, once you let me know, and see what I can find.

Michael

#3 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 06:07 PM

Magnifique is the cryptic name of a feather used by George Kelson in a few of his patterns, most notably the infamous Little Inky Boy. He had the feather dyed a specific crimson colour by a company in Paris. He claimed the feather contained near magical fish catching qualities.

Paul ROSSMAN confirmed the true identity of the feather which is from one of the birds of paradise.

Marc

#4 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 11:18 PM

Marc,

Thanks. Yes, there is the article on Stuart's website with pictures of the dyed feathers. More Kelsonian claims!

To read the note attached, even Kelson was substituting for feathers he didn't have or couldn't get -- querula cruenta, or purple-throated fruit-crow. Wish the auction image was clearer, as the feathers to the immediate right of the dyed pair might be fruit-crow.

Michael