8 replies to this topic

#1 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

2/0 "Dendy Watney" from the Farlows book. I tied the body in the vise, and then winged it in hand this evening.

Anywho, appears to be pretty standard Irish fly, but I liked the color. I did change the ribbing from silver to gold, and used a bit of oval on the rear for some contrast. I tried toning the fly down a little bit from the original.

Attached File  IMG_6576.JPG   73.86K   78 downloadsAttached File  IMG_6571.jpg   101.54K   83 downloads

-Matt

#2 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,334 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Dear MATT,

This is another fantastic FLEEEEE...

Yes 'she' spreads definitly bodyingredients of MORE than one of those known Irish patterns we knew allready..."Tandy" and "Ponsonby" like ...to call only those two patterns who come to my mind immidiatly !!!

Ah and it's known that the 'purple' they got also overthere in there patterns in Ireland...

for me a yes over the entire ine MATT...

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#3 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

Another great Irish flee. Love the colours and wing. I'd love a n SBS on how one does the tail, I really struggle with selection and working of these crests.
All the best
Dave

#4 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:58 PM

Dave,

If you can spring from them, always buy an extra select head.  You pay a little more, but you get more too.  

The tail on this is just a little flat one from the side of the head, not quite a spade feather.  

Somewhere along the journey somebody showed me how to just press my nail into the whitish area of the feather.  You do with a couple times (on the back), then maybe once or twice up the tail (or topping), and bada bing you got a nice looking tail.  You just gently coax it into shape, no need to be barbaric. I used to run my nail along the backside of the feather, but this almost always resulted in an overworked crest.  Which IMO look terrible on a fly.  Of course the end of the day the thing is supposed to be soaking wet, so I try to stay as true as I can to the fly dressing process, but also be mindful of making something look presentable in the vise.  

-Matt

#5 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:11 PM

I doubt Jin will mind...but here is how he preps them, and this is also the same way I do them now.

-Matt

#6 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

Wonderful fly Matt...and a great overall post too!!

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#7 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

Good stuff Matt, thanks for taking the time to help. Much appreciated.
Cheers
Dave

#8 sky-pilot

sky-pilot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,199 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

I really like your flies.
All the best

Kjell-Ove

http://www.ronnlucassr.com/karlsen.htm
winner of the 2012 sexiest fly tyer award

#9 jgogg

jgogg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

While I often recontour the rachis on golden crest feathers with my finger nails, it is also useful to hold the rachis in your tweezers and make the rebend by pressing a finger against the tweezer hold.  keep in mind as well that when you rebend crests, time, heat and humidity will tend to cause some relapse.  You may well get to bend toppings and tails again in future on your finished flies.  The framed ones, that is.  Those that are fished will definitely not be the same afterwards!  The only way I know to prevent this problem is to use a Riker mount or similar as a frame.  The downside of this is the fly will be pressed into two dimensions.  For my own work, I am content with again preening older flies that change to a shape I don't care for.  It doesn't happen so often or so much as to be onerous.