• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 04:06 AM

Just getting into tying more traditional/classic style flies for steelhead out here in the PNW, USA and stumbled across this forum. I don't have the materials for classic salmon flies as they are too expensive but I enjoy the challenge of tying. Below is my second attempt at a married wing fly. I didn't follow a pattern or recipe, just tied what fit my eye.

Feel free to critique, I'm here to learn.

Thanks.

Attached File  Screenshot_20200120-153144~3.png   1.87MB   76 downloads

Edited by Roy McAvoy, 21 January 2020 - 04:07 AM.

#2 Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 01:47 AM

Crickets....

#3 wd40

wd40

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:54 AM

Kindness abides.

#4 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:09 PM

Roy, Nice free style start. The tinsel reversal on the body isn't something that is often seen, but is interpretive and interesting. Because free styles are subjective, comments of classic style wouldn't make a lot of sense. I like the colour choice. As for comments, I'd have put on a denser butt. Tie in the ostrich herl close to the removal point, where the flues/barbules are denser and slightly shorter. The effect is not as wispy, and you can wind four good turns. Also, if you want to even up the wing tips, you could pluck/break the fibers with tweezers, or taper them with parallel scissor cuts. Michael

#5 Roy McAvoy

Roy McAvoy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 04:18 AM

Roy,Nice free style start. The tinsel reversal on the body isn't something that is often seen, but is interpretive and interesting. Because free styles are subjective, comments of classic style wouldn't make a lot of sense. I like the colour choice. As for comments, I'd have put on a denser butt. Tie in the ostrich herl close to the removal point, where the flues/barbules are denser and slightly shorter. The effect is not as wispy, and you can wind four good turns. Also, if you want to even up the wing tips, you could pluck/break the fibers with tweezers, or taper them with parallel scissor cuts.Michael

Thanks, Michael. Appreciate the feedback. The ostrich technique is odd to me...some books I've seen recommend taking two herls and wrapping. I'll try your method next!

#6 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,427 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 03:21 PM

Yes one herl, wrap them as close together as possible. The fly is quite nice for a beginner

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#7 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 01:06 AM

Roy, Ostrich herl fiberules are perpendicular to the shaft. The shape is like an "L". The vertical | is the fiberules. The horizontal _ is the shaft. You'll want to tie in so that when you wind, the horizontal _ slightly overlaps. That'll give you the tightest grouping of the vertical | fiberules around the hook shank. It'll make it easier to sweep the fiberules if you want the swept back look. Hope that made sense. For myself, I start my tie in close to where the fiber comes off the feather quill. That gives a Kelson like slightly forward angled herl butt. Michael