#1 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 03:24 PM

Guys -

Avid long time tyer - currently I'm using one very common popular brand of UV resin (not sure if I should quote the brand as my intent here isn't to dog them).  I love the look of the resin immediately post UV cure, but where my problem comes is the following:  regardless of whether I hit it with the torch for 10 seconds or 60, the resin never seems to fully cure hard - there's a surface tackiness that actually smudges ruining the look and purpose all together.  I'm not putting it on thick and expecting it to cure in a second, or anything else obviously dumb, so my general sense is that I need to change brand of UV resin.

Haven't tried Solarez, Bondo, Deer Creek, or other brands for that matter.  Can any of you suggest a brand that when used correctly dries hard & clear with no tacky residue of smudging?

Also I have the "medium" torch - in now way the mini, and not the monster size either - does this matter?

Advice appreciated

Thanks, Ed

#2 garren

garren

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:26 PM

I have found the light does matter and the stronger ones work better.  When I first started using UV Resins I had a cheap LED UV light and had a lot of the same problems you are talking about.  I have found that Solarez Bone Dry works really well (i.e. - cures well).  It is a thin UV resin.  Although not a salmon fly, here is a nymph that used the Solarez to coat the body.

Attached File  quill-nymph.jpg   89.94K   26 downloads

#3 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 09:00 PM

I also will recommend the Solarez. Dries very well

Stephen

#4 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:39 AM

Although, I'm not "disconnected" from Deercreek I would suggest that you use their laser pen/torch for the best results & make sure that the batteries are in reasonable to new condition. Or their very new usb version as both give the required results in a very few seconds & do not need re-coating with S/H etc afterwards.  Their products are not called "Diamondhard" for nothing.

#5 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 09:29 AM

I need to change batteries long before the light in my torch dies. It seems that the resin cures best when the light is at its strongest.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#6 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 05:48 PM

I have the Loon "normal" size torch - they also make a "mega" and a "mini".  Based on your thoughtful input, I'm going to invest in a new more powerful torch and give the Solarez & Deer Creek products a try.  I tie enough that I manage to go through a lot.  I'll also try new batteries more often in the mean-time.

Sincere thanks,  Ed

#7 TGIF

TGIF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:39 AM

I am new to this stuff, but i did just finally pull the trigger, I use Solerez and Bug Bond, i have been pleased with both, but can attest to the battery aspect.  In fairness, I did take a low cost entry point on the light.  

As a side bar, i am surprised how much resin is required to "get the job done", albeit mostly on sreamers and saltwater flies, but I can see how i could burn through a fair amount of this stuff.  

#8 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 10:13 AM

i have great success with solarez

35Ms2CS.jpg

and this light

flb-1_3.jpg

IPB Image