4 replies to this topic

#1 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:10 PM

Well I have been wanting to take a crack at bass flies for some time now, in parts to some of the flies tied here that are so wonderful.  My interest are really spiked now because I am getting my mouth watered on some yellow perch and other sunnies that I am working on specific flies for those species.  But in about half the waters that these guys are in are also bass.  And while I am there....  Anyways, these are my first cracks at bass flies.  I found that the spoon wings are much more difficult than I figured they would be.  Way more so than on a dry fly, but I will keep at it.

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:59 PM

Hi Jeff Cool beans. They look small for bass? What's the hook? I Regarding the wings, so you know the hornberg? It's a great warm water fly. Following the design, try stacking natural and dyed guinea feathers of different sizes with the rachi aligned with the shank. They look great wet! Good luck.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:27 PM

Thank you.  They are tied on size 1 hooks.  It is the largest size I have.  Although I do want to get some 3/0 size hooks, from the research I've found, most of these bass flies are tied as small as size 4.  So I thought I would be within specs.  I have heard about the hornberg, but can not remember it at the moment.  I'll have to check my books and see what it looks like again.  The first fly is based off of the Triumph except I did not have anything for a green tail and used yellow instead.  I am not going to say what the spoon winged fly is, because of how the fibers going over the wing were too difficult I had to give up on it, and not claiming a particular fly, it turned out looking alright. 

#4 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:31 PM

And the Yellow Sally's are tied on a size 12 hook specifically tied for Yellow Perch and other pan fish that might be in the area.

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:13 AM

Thanks. The hooks don't look that big, but there's nothing for perspective. Enjoy tying and fishing these. I'm making up bass flies. Have caught a couple small ones on one fly, had looks from larger bass in another.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year