#1 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:23 PM

Good Morning,

I haven't posted much lately, but have been working on my winters project.  These 13 flies are the flies I have used last season that all caught me good fish.  So I wanted to make an attempt at framing all these successful flies.  In past I have almost always kept and displayed my successful flies after the season, but this year I have put the most effort into it as I believe classic flies make much better framing material than simple and ugly nymph patterns and don't crush as easily as dry fly patterns. 

It was quite work for me.  Most tied on size No. 6 hooks despite some fly's actually fished in much smaller sizes (especially the Blue Bottle).  But it was very rewarding when finished and shall keep this in time.  Then the next frame I shall do would show improvements year after year.  But I suspect that next years frame would be much smaller as to say perhaps 5 flies.  13 was quite a bit.

Jeff

Attached Files

#2 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:28 PM

Nice idea - flies that worked for you.

It will be interesting to see next years flies, both the progress and the "working" flies

#3 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 03:41 PM

Excellent flies!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#4 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:56 PM

Yes, some I kept tying over and over to get a "perfect" quality.  But then I just had to be satisfied with my current skill level which also reflects on the flies actually used and goes along with the theme.

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

Very well done. Great idea. The pit you say?
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#6 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 08:21 PM

That is right.  The creator of the fly (you) called it a gray hackle yellow.  But I must protest that your variation is so strong, one can not even call it a variant of the original.  Therefore, the only solution I could come up with was to rename it completely by the creators name and the river that the fly was most useful at, the Pitt river.  The Pitt River makes up of most of the water of the Sacramento River (the largest in the state).  hopefully you do not object to the name of the fly given.

#7 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:15 AM

Great! I'm sort of the pits anyway, so it fits. A very good pattern.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#8 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:55 AM

Jeff:  There's something about these wee wets that far exceeds the 'big boys'.  Must have something to do with the memories and personal experiences I've had.  Seeing your work makes me happy