8 replies to this topic

#1 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

How much is enough?  Are there too many notes. too many colors. too many textures and materials?  I suppose that when each contributes rather than diminishes, answers the questions partly.  Would their absence make a difference ?, is there another way of looking at it ?  Here's a dressing I tied for Canadian Atlantic salmon waters.  I'm proud that it represents my research into the area and the type of fishing I enjoy.  Built from dreams watching videos and hearing stories

gotz

Attached Files

#2 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 01:41 PM

Its only complicated if you want it to think that it is...I like having different materials dyed similar colors, because they all take the dye differently, creating a bit of harmony among the different bits tied on the hook.  

Just seems a little small for that hook?   I tend to prefer a much fuller fly though, which really only stems from the water and species I fish for. 

Confidence is important in fly design.  If you believe in it, it will work regardless of what you strap on there lol.   I wouldn't have a ton of confidence in your fly....just too slim/reduced for my liking.  Doesn't take anything away from the tying however.

-Matt

#3 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 03:19 PM

hey dave ,

it has a DeFeo look to it...nice

#4 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 04:45 PM

Its only complicated if you want it to think that it is...I like having different materials dyed similar colors, because they all take the dye differently, creating a bit of harmony among the different bits tied on the hook.  

Just seems a little small for that hook?   I tend to prefer a much fuller fly though, which really only stems from the water and species I fish for. 

Confidence is important in fly design.  If you believe in it, it will work regardless of what you strap on there lol.   I wouldn't have a ton of confidence in your fly....just too slim/reduced for my liking.  Doesn't take anything away from the tying however.

Thanks Matt:  As Ryan Houston and I touched on a recent thread " All flyfishing (tying) is local ".  As I get older I tend to fish leftovers:  fish that have run the gauntlet and are gun shy.  Years ago you would've found me waiting at the mouths waiting for the run with a completely different mindset.  Nonetheless we're obliged to present our flies on hooks that are stout enough to bring them to bay without killing them.  Sparse and outrageous simple stuff works for me in the water, but leaves me dry at the vise.   Like you my friend. we both represent our intentions.  I'd pursue salmon/steelhead up to 15 lbs with this one

Much respect....gotz

#5 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 05:57 PM

Complicated for me is how I tie flies the night before I go fishing. The box is already full, and for what they said was working yesterday, I probably have something very close already buried beneath what I tied the night before the last time I went fishing.

But in this complication anticipation is found and a lot of times that is at least as good as the fishing was, or better.

I think there can be too many colors, or at least one too many in that, that is all it takes to make a yellow look orange or a green look blue.

For me the sprigs of dark green above the tail and wing are magic.

A college prof left me with "it ain't over till its over and you gotta know when to stop". You certainly figured that one out, Dave.

#6 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

I like the design thought and the concept on a hook .

#7 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:13 PM

I like it too. Val mentioned too much colour and I agree BUT individual colours say yellow and blue simulating green they are still independent colours at close inspection. For me, that's a plus........I like suggestion of colour in a fly. It helps the texture of a fly. Of course dissimilar materials on a fly do too. You do that in your flies Dave and that's what I like about them. 

The so called "low water" flies of which this one is not............perhaps close to but to my eye not, look incomplete/unbalanced to me. They can be great looking but along side more "normal" flies different enough to make me think differently about them even if the same materials are on the fly. 

Bottom line, What I think may not mean as much as a cup of used coffee grounds. 

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#8 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:32 PM

Dave, I dont know much about colors but the sparceness of that fly would work wonders here for atlantics. All tying is local and what I would use on the St.John for flies would be tied totally different on the Northwest per say. One thing that always struck me was hackle. I would tie a wound collar and most of the flies used on the northern NB rivers would be tied with a beard style hackle. Different water flow maybe, I dunno.  do know that your flies/ color combo would work very well here

Stephen

#9 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 10:56 PM

Good conversation, pretty fly. Thanks Gotz.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year