17 replies to this topic

#1 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:13 AM

I never dreamed of adding a Tom Loving fly to my collection so you can imagine my delight when I recently came across this great little shad fly. I believe C. Boyd Pfieffer includes this pattern in his book "Shad Fishing" but calls it a "Loving Shad Fly". A wee bit of loss to the wing but otherwise pretty darn sweet!

Attached Files

Alec M. Stansell
Cape Cod & Maine

#2 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

And I'll betcha it produced like a champ !!!  Great post Alec.  Thanks

gotz

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:15 PM

Agreed Gotz! It's be a killer. Would you tie and fish it though?
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:10 PM

Agreed Gotz! It's be a killer. Would you tie and fish it though?

Yes I would Dale, with one change other than color scheme..  I might have skipped the wing and added a short dense plume of marabou (for slow waters), or, short tail of the same material for quicker flows

gotz

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 10:19 PM

The contrast makes it seem a killer. Can't say that tying or casting it interest me. But I'm a snob.

On another note, today when I was about finished fishing I caught a lovely bluegill. The water had warmed, and they were apparently more active. What the heck. I was using a flat wing fly inspired by the one Akec recently posted the bluegill kept taking it something larger got hold, but came loose before I saw it, which means he was huge. Haha. Anyway, as I was fighting a small bluegill of five or six inches a bass chased then ate it. The fly was still in the gill, and the Bass seemed confused that the bluegill in its mouth was dragging it where it did not want to go. Eventually it expelled the pesky visitor. When I released it the bluegill was stunned. Imagine your own temporary Jonah moment if you will. As I fought the next bluegill I looked and within seven feet three large bass watched and drooled. One has red eyes, so either a smallie or Guadalupe bass! I did land a ten or twelve inch largemouth, a pretty fellow, but ideas the bluegill that stoked my engine. I'm going back soon. I wonder what fly one of the Bass might take? I'm not fond of bait fishing with a fly rod.

#6 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:21 AM

Nice Dale. Similar story. Caught an 8in brookie one time and wilst bringing it in about a 5lb sea trout grabbed it. Sea trout survived 8in trout did not. We do have pan fish here,not sure what kind, most people here call them sun fish

Stephen

#7 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:23 AM

Very cool Alec.  

What era did these come from  and what's the history of the 3d flies on the east coast?  I think G Leonard Herter wrote his "Streamer" (anti feather wing) thesis on a similar idea?

I've got a small collection of Wright McGill 3d flies.

#8 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 12:25 AM

DD - great story ... funny when you catch the whole food chain on one cast!

#9 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 01:49 AM

Her Royce, cool flies! Thanks. Got your note about bull trout, like Stephens. A friend once hooked about a 14 pound baracuda and it's neighbor, about the same size, started biting its side. When we landed it you could see the tooth marks. Vicious

#10 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 11:18 AM

Guys Joe Brooks in his book "Salt Water Fly Fishing" describes Tom Loving tying a fly identical to this pattern in 1923, the exception being silver ribbing rather than white. Tom tied it for shad in the salt and Joe calls it "The beginning of salt water fly tying". That isn't accurate of course, but it is certainly an early American contribution.
Royce this is the first I've seen the 3D nomenclature, so I can't comment there... but those flies of yours are nice! Right up my alley! :)
Hey Dale I'll give you a call later today !
Alec M. Stansell
Cape Cod & Maine

#11 easterngray

easterngray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 02:25 PM

Ok I'm a knucklehead. I do believe that the proper name of the fly is simply "shad fly" as the stamp should properly be read "8D Shad", designating the size 8 double hook, NOT 3D! My apologies for the confusion.
Alec M. Stansell
Cape Cod & Maine

#12 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:40 PM

Haha. I guess all flies are 3-D? Look forward to our visit Akec! I'm going to tie bass flies.

#13 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 06:23 PM

Found the George Leonard Herter booklet ..

Funny stuff he writes ... and certainly over the top against Carrie S.

But  .... I'll throw this challenge out try this pattern

Pattern: Herter Coastal Shiner

Hook size 4 to 6 long

Tail  two soft ginger rooster neck hackle tips cut in the shape of the shiner's tail.

Beige marabou on both sides.  Blackbird feather at the base.

Body  White wool built up in the shape of a minnow's body and covered with medium flat embossed silver tinsel.

Belly fins are bunches of pink and beige marabou fibers. 

Wing two soft cock-y-bondhu rooster neck hackles with one side trimmed off.

Dorsal fin is soft beige or cream rooster neck hackle trimmed to shape with beige marabou at the sides. 

Head gold mylar or fine tinsel with yellow glass eyes with black pupil.  Brown squirrel tail hairs on top.

Shoulder hen neck hackle feathers.

#14 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 11:42 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm....Id have to take some slight liberties. But that thing is rather ridiculous, and something I feel very inclined to tie!

-Matt

#15 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:20 PM

Herter's flies have always reminded me of the Louis Rhead "flies'.   They had some great ideas but they were simply from pluto.

#16 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 04:41 PM

Pluto .... agreed

Wrapping flat tinsel and it staying on a shaped body like that is near impossible without some glue

Can you imagine a wool underbody that size .... once it gets soaked!    Chuck and Duck.

I've never seen a realistic fly work better then a impressionistic fly and I've tried .. wonder why

#17 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 22 February 2018 - 08:52 PM

Royce, that last statement moved mountains. A little story ( yeah I know, I am long winded ) a few years ago we had some huge brookies run up the creek in front of my house, they came from the St.John river. About the same time there was a huge hatch of Green Drakes and while I missed those I hit the coffin flies. Caught a few on a white wulff so went home and tied an exact duplicate of a coffin fly,detached body and all, fished it caught squat. Took the wulff,squished the heck out of it, flattened it and that week I caught a pile around 14in but released I dont know how many around 18 to 20in and had 3 or 4 that I kept that were gill hooked that were over 20in. Impressionistic all the way for me. I think thats why I like Gotzs flies so much

Stephen

#18 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:29 PM

Great tale Stephen. Now up and then it's important to keep in mind that were talking about fish. Morons are they Ted?