100 replies to this topic

#21 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:04 AM

Well I got a couple done and I got to say its been a blast. First time I ever tryed tying her patterns they really are beautiful. Was hoping a lot more would have wanted to join in. When do you want to start posting them. Do you want to wait until August or post them as you finish them. Maybe if folks start seeing a couple will get more joining in. Might be good if a moderator could lock a post off so we have them up top till the August date.

#22 flounder

flounder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:19 AM

I'm in. Artula, and maybe an American Beauty as well. Just for kicks, I'll try them sans vise a la Carrie. (I'm keeping the bobbin, though!)

#23 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:22 AM

QUOTE(plumbob @ Jul 5 2006, 06:24 PM) View Post

QUOTE(Joe Hard @ Jul 5 2006, 04:56 PM) View Post

Wow this is a go, I will most definatley whip up a pattern. Dont know what yet.

Hey Joe since it was your idea, just tie up all the ones that haven't been picked yet. Will wait. biggrin.gif

Gotcha,.....we should do something with the flies!! Send them to Will as a contest prize? We are all tying for a mentor and a day in history of the "art of flytying". I am sure those involved will tie some stunning flies. What you all think? Glad to see you are going to dress up a fly flounder.

Keep bumping this thread, so I wont have to spend lots of all nighters, tying up,"my lady's" patterns.
I still dont know what I am going to tie, but am looking forward to what we all come up with.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#24 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:38 AM

sad.gif Was hoping to hold onto these for a box of my own but I guess I could do a couple more. Here the pic's of the ones I did.
The first is "Dr. White" the second is the "Demon"

IPB Image

IPB Image

#25 streamertyer

streamertyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE(flounder @ Jul 7 2006, 09:19 PM) View Post

Just for kicks, I'll try them sans vise a la Carrie. (I'm keeping the bobbin, though!)

Atta boy! headbang.gif

Just in case anyone hasn't seen it, check this out:

http://globalflyfish...uest/challenge/

#26 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 02:50 AM

I am just chucking ideas, if you want to keep those fly's I am sure they are boss!! If this ends up as a go thing someone will win a very cool, special prize. It also might mean that there is more participation in the contest and for what this thread stands for.

Dont mind me I had a long hard week pounding the flats for Bloodworms, and am tipping a few. Have a look at my next post in the lodge of the worms and the home made tool I use to dig them.

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#27 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 03:03 AM

Joe I don't mind as I said before I"m having a blast and I guess these first ones I'll call practice flys. biggrin.gif

#28 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:14 AM

QUOTE(plumbob @ Jul 8 2006, 12:03 AM) View Post

Joe I don't mind as I said before I"m having a blast and I guess these first ones I'll call practice flys. biggrin.gif

I dont think you need practise, those flys are top notch. I am glad that you are showing your talent, and having fun.

So what do you think! Flies like that, and the deserved occasion, should have some sort of grand finale.

Hey Davie McPhail, you too Mr Dave "god knows your flies are pretty" Carne. Show us a trinket..or two. I do not need to make a list of tyers. This forum is about fly tying, and filled with the most amazing tyers alive today. I dont know how you all feel about a general gathering, and we do need a headquarters, but Carrie Stevens and her flies are part of what "prety, fish catching flies" is all about!!

I dont know what Will feels about this, but I am prepared to gather all flies and put them in a beautiful cedar cigar box, and donate them to Will for a contest prize. I will take a photo of the box and re post. If this is too much for the plate, or any other ideas what we can do with our replicas besides keeping them. Ideas will make this something we will all remember, and pass on.

#29 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:47 AM

Hey PB, those are beautiful!!! headbang.gif As good a Demon as I've ever seen...by anyone!
Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#30 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:14 AM

Ronn whip up a pattern, I know you have one in mind, and with your talent should only take about 1/2 an hour to get every thing ready and then wham it on a hook. Making it look like it took hours and days to complete.

Here is the box I mentioned. I got it from Rick Trout Traveler, through a trade. Its big and deep, and a fine lookin box. You should smell it when you open the lid. I am sure I can line it with felt over foam. Right now I do not have the time to offer a frame, but here is a few pics of the box.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sorry the last one is dark, but you can see it is worth filling and donating for a prize. I will let this rest and wait for a day or two for replies.

#31 streamertyer

streamertyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 01:55 PM

Plumbob,

Super neat job on those! headbang.gif

#32 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:15 PM

Great idea...I will try my best to participate....just been bombarded of late with some traveling based upon work wallbash.gif - hate when that gets in the way of some good ol' tying fun. Just got back from Japan 4 days ago (part vacation--mostly work) and now off to Chicago for another week .... If I can get something in by Aug 3 I will...but have another committment to a couple of fly projects that also need finishing by the same time. If I do have the chance I am definitely in but won’t pick the pattern until later.

Nice ties Plumbob headbang.gif

Regards
WW

#33 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 12:42 AM

I'm definitely in, but not sure on the pattern...perhaps Greyhound or Carrie's Favorite?

Great tying, Plumbob. headbang.gif

#34 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 02:09 AM

Thanks everybody glad you like them. Now lets see some others. Glad to see more joining in.

#35 streamertyer

streamertyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:08 AM

Slapped this one together at lunchhour today....

Col. Bates (or Capt. if you prefer) - Then and Now

Attached Files

#36 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 02:13 AM

Love that pattern. Great job with it, Chris, and thanks for showing us the originals. headbang.gif

#37 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 03:10 AM

Great job streamertyer, real treat to see one she had tied also. Looks like she had some real nice JC. Thanks for sharing.

#38 Deryn LaCombe

Deryn LaCombe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:06 PM

Plumbob,
I just have to say that Demon is one of the nicest flies I've seen in a long time and is absolutely Grade A! The Dr. White is nice as well but the Demon is just perfect, you did a hell of a job on that one!

#39 streamertyer

streamertyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 12:15 PM

QUOTE(Mike Boyer @ Jul 10 2006, 10:13 PM) View Post

thanks for showing us the originals. headbang.gif

The originals are from Schmookler, and can be yours for a mere $600 apiece..... blink.gif

#40 plumbob

plumbob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 11 July 2006 - 11:28 PM

Well since nobody said they were going to tie it I had to give it a shot. Carrie's Gray Ghost. Would have liked to have had some lighter hackles but I've seen some of her ties with the darker.

IPB Image