#1 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:07 PM

Guys -

Does anyone know of a supplier who either stocks good quality dyed partridge, or who dyes partridge skins/feathers themselves, and again, does a great job?  I'm looking for a good brown one, and not finding much worth pursuing.

I see them occasionally on eBay, where's there's currently a number of beautiful skins listed (btw), albeit "natural" and I'm well stocked in that regard, but the dyed ones shown are more than a little bit dog-eared to my eye, and on the smallish side.

Any leads are appreciated

Best, Ed

#2 Probie

Probie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

Dye your own Ed. Not that hard

#3 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:28 PM

Blue Ribbon Flies, West Yellowstone, MT.  blue-ribbon-flies.com

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#4 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Probie -

Are you suggesting RIT dye and all set b/c as noted, there are really nice natural skins available.  Any directions you can offer are much appreciated

Charlie, thanks, I'll check them out

Best, Ed

#5 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

Ed,

Get some acid dye if you do it yourself.  RIT is not the best choice.  You can find Jacquard, Dharma and/or Pro Chemical easily on the web and probably locally in art supply stores.  You just need some really clean materials, a pot of water (heated) and some vinegar.  The key on natural skins is to make certain they are clean and free from dirt and oils.

PM me if you need more detailed instructions.

Charlie

Chemical Engineering: Solving problems you didn't know you had, in ways you don't understand ......

#6 Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Chris Knox- London, England

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

Cookshill

C

"Why fish for tinsel when you can fish for gold ?"- Frank Sawyer on the subject of Grayling

#7 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 12:43 AM

Charlie -

Thanks - looking now

Best,  Ed

#8 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 09:39 AM

Wash skin CAREFULLY in Synthrapol & rinse very thoroughly in clean water. Put it into an acid dye bath skin side up, mixed with either white vinegar or acetic acid (better) and ensure that  it's no more than hand-hot ! Then leave it to cool naturally with the very occasional slow stir. Then leave it there for 2 or more days in the cold dye mix. Gently rinse in cold water to judge if colour is right, if not replace into dye bath & repeat until ready. Air dry it on a washing line (if possible), if not put entire skin into old pillow case & tie same around the neck of a hair dryer, that's on a warm, not hot setting.

#9 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 03:14 PM

Arkle -

Thanks - even an uninitiated dyer could follow your directions

Best, Ed

#10 Charlie Vestal

Charlie Vestal

Lakewood, Colorado

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 01 April 2017 - 05:49 PM

Check out   Craig Matthews of BRF dyeing some grouse skins.

Craig uses RIT but you really should use an acid dye (colorfastness, water fastness, depth of color, etc.)  You can follow the same instructions that Craig gives in the video.

Charlie

#11 Fatman1

Fatman1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:09 PM

I've been using the Fly Dye from Anglers Workshop.  Gives really nice colors and a little goes a long ways.  Veniards has nice dyes but the one shop I was ordering it from in New Hampshire only orders twice a year and the Fly Dye from Anglers works just as well.  

#12 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:49 AM

Veniard's dyes, used to be the standard that everyone & his second cousin, twice removed would use. However this is not now the case, as either they or their supplier's "cut" it with a high proportion of salt, so you now need much more to get the same effect, if you can get it !

Many people/commercial dyers use alternatives these days, with one of the most popular being Jaquard acid & procion dyes. There are many, many others out there, b.t.w.

#13 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

Jacquard seems to be the most readily available, and that's what I ordered.  My local craft store, Michaels, didn't carry it, so I got it on-line - if it weren't for Amazon, I'd have had to pay more for shipping than for the dye itself

Thanks to all,  Ed

#14 pickapeckof

pickapeckof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 05:13 PM

Ed, if you are in the USA i have a bunch of feathers and when i say bunch i mean lots

Steve

#15 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 06:41 PM

Steve -

What I need is Hungarian Partridge dyed Brown - I'm bidding on two skins on eBay right now and purchased dye for the one I ultimately win.  Do you have dyed partridge skins available?

Ed

#16 pickapeckof

pickapeckof

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:00 PM

No skins, just alot of feathers, i can sort them out to get you the ones you need

Steve

616-375-5092

Lowell MI

#17 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Steve -

I just won a really nice looking skin on eBay - I have a preference for a skin as I believe the feathers maintain better - I have loose partridge feathers and I find myself with "bent" or oddly curved feathers that are unusable - granted, probably my fault, but I seem to be able to store and keep necks and skins in my better condition.  I'm going to try and dye this one, and see how I do - hopefully my rookie status doesn't make this an abject failure, but with the guidance above, I'm feeling reasonably confident.  Thanks - I believe I'm all set now

Best, Ed

#18 buggybob

buggybob

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:55 PM

Ed, steam your oddly shaped feathers you will be amazed at how they will regain their shape.

#19 Ed M

Ed M

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:14 PM

Thanks!

#20 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:21 AM

Let us know how dye job comes out. I'm curious and want to give it a go myself.