ClassicFlyTying.com Sponsors
Hand Made Salmon Hooks
Ronn Lucas, Sr.
www.ronnlucassr.com
(503)654-0466
ronn@ronnlucassr.com

Photo

Want to tie a Chatterer? Here is your chance.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Robert Verkerk ____ ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 09:26 PM

The Chaterer should have between 200 - 300 small feathers as Kelson mentions.  Many however were tied with Kingfisher, I guess for commercial reasons.  The same stockists would sell you Kingfisher or Cotinga depending on your price range.  The Land & Water and FG both illustrate the Chaterer going over the butt.  As they are tied in the modern fachion they are way too thin.  Guy put approx. 200 feathers in his one and I think I did the same.  

Regards Mike

From what I understand, from what I have been reading so far, Chatterer has always been in short supply. So to tie it with Kingfisher would have been the only option in many cases, I guess.

_www.ClassicFlyTying.net____

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#22 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 01:20 AM

Great dialog. Further point is to note that if tied with kingfisher, you have no choice but to use larger feathers as kingfisher doesn't have the smaller blue feathers on its head like cotinga. While there are generally a few smaller feathers on each kingfisher pelt, they aren't nearly in the same number as from a cotinga's head. So If you wanted to mimic the look of a Chatterer tied with kingfisher with actual chatterer, I suppose you would use larger cotinga feathers from the back or belly. Gets more confusing the more you think about it, doesn't it? I love this stuff. Marc