12 replies to this topic

#1 AlbaSurf

AlbaSurf

KarliRae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 09:01 AM

Greetings friends! It has been too long! Where to start? 

Probably with the most significant news. I think most of you know that I had one miscarriage but only a few of you know that I actually had 3 miscarriages all in a row. But my 4th pregnancy went well and just a little over 4 months ago I delivered a beautiful baby girl! 

Attached File  IMG_3203.JPG   99.84K   64 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3356.JPG   132.14K   82 downloads

Attached File  FullSizeRender.jpg   216.88K   89 downloads

One reason I didn't tie at all during my pregnancy is because a few years ago I participated in a material swap through another forum and ended up receiving a bunch of materials that had bugs in them! Luckily I hadn't mixed them with my other materials  but after that I kindof went nuts with trying to make sure I had no signs of bug damage on my feathers. I put alot of moth packets in with my materials and even though I tried to air them out they still smelled and I was afraid to expose myself to them while being pregnant. I feel so silly because in trying to keep my materials safe I made them almost unusable to me!  I have considered gifting alot of my materials away to new/beginning tyers or trying to give them back to the people who gave them to me, but I am having a hard time bring myself to do that because they are so special to me. 

We moved into a new house the night I went into labor and I thought that after having her I would have loads of time since I was off work for 12 weeks. Boy was I wrong! Babies are A LOT of work! I really had no idea how incredibly my life would change. So between getting settled into a new house, new baby, continuing grad school, tying alway seems to get pushed to the back burner. But I guess that's ok, because what is a completed fly compared to these wonderful baby snuggles that will pass by all too fast? :-) 

I am glad I feel this way now, the wanting to snuggle her part. I struggled quite a bit with postpartum depression the first few months and am just now starting to feel like I am getting the hang of this parenting thing. I also have still been in graduate school full-time, along with working. I will graduate this summer as an advanced practice nurse, a certified nurse-midwife. 

Attached File  firstbaby.jpeg   73.39K   89 downloads 

This isn't my baby, this is a first baby I delivered myself as a student nurse-midwife. I have now delivered 37 babies. 

I don't know why the picture is sideways, nor how to fix it... 

As I read back over this post I realized it is a little disjointed. But it is 3 in the morning and I am at work, my 3rd 12-hour shift in a row and I am really tired. I am taking advantage of not having any patients to get some schoolwork done. :-) I am really looking forward to catching up on how everyone is doing, what new flies have been tied, you know, the usual. I have really missed you guys - I don't know why it took me 4 months to get back here, I am kindof embarassed actually, considering how often I thought of you all. Probably because I am just a little ashamed I haven't tied anything in ages. But now the materials are unpacked and I will have an opportunity as soon as my little one learns how nap! For now I will have to settle for perusing the forums on my phone while I nurse her. 

Fondly,

Karli-Rae

Attached Files

"Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art,
It requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation,
as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble,
compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit?
It is one of the Fine Arts:
I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts."
-- Florence Nightingale

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.”
--Mark Jenkins

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

Many thanks for the update, & thanks for the superb photo's it look's like "all concerned" did a first rate job.

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 12:20 PM

Hi KR!!

Great news!! Congrats to all three of you. Does she have a name? You're all beautiful and happy, except daddy who is scruffy and happy. Geert was scruffier and remains so. There's hope.

Just one comment about the busyness. You never get these times back. She will change so very fast.

The tying is a throw away for now. Neat you think about it, but we are very happy to hear your great news.

Love
Dale and Shan
PS: if you ever need it I'm an expert on girls.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#4 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:38 PM

Dear KARLI-RAE and CHRISTOPHER,

A from the heart 'congratultations with Your both 'wonderful daughter'...this from aswell myself as my Nathalie ...psttttttttttt and YOU gifted 'her' a marvellous forename toooooooooo !!!

THANKS THANKS THANKS for all these beautyful photo's who show such intense HAPPYNESS !!!

This thread is full of 'info' and 'love'....and wonderful for 'us' (THE GROUP)...to feel YOU have still that 'bouncing heart' for OUR forum and the 'good people' around HERE !!!........

pstttttttttttttttttttt sended up a 'Christmas card'  to Your last adress 'we' had....but the 'enveloppe' came back a day or ten after the start of this 'rolling' 2017...ah we said ourselves Karli-Rae and Christopher probably mooved to a new adress...

pstttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt told it allready many many times...but don't listen to my 'dearest enemy to my heart' DALE...he is simply a a very tall  'burbler' with a long 'grey beard'...psttttttttttttttt install Your vise in a good warm place in the house...and when "ELEANOR LYNNE" is sleeping ...start Your bobbin...even this would only for 5/10 minutes a day........psttttttttttt DD has to know (and he knows) and must know (with all his 'massif' amount of wise experience that there is nothing more 'relaxing' than tying a fly...or a 'bit' of a fly) hahahahahahaha

Thanks once more for 'coming in saying' a wonderful HELLO to the FRIENDS...........

Geert and Nathalie

PS.....pstttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt must admit on other hand that 'my dearest enemy' WAS ...I repeat WAS an expert at 'GIRLS' hahahaahaaa (YES  I know he had to 'raise' up three beautyful daughters - but this is aside his 'expert' beïng on 'girls'...wink !!!)

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#5 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi Karli-Rae,

I've thought of you often since we shared a couple of PM's a while back...and I am thrilled to see baby Eleanor Lynne and her very happy parents. Congratulations!!!!!!

All The Best,

George & Linda

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

Throw out the napthalene (moth balls) and purchase some Hot Shot "No Pest Strips".  Cut off the housing and cut the strip in to small pieces.  Put a piece in each bag of feathers. Or if you keep some loose in larger plastic bins, put a larger piece in the bin.  I have under-bed roller bins with compartments in the lid to hold anti insect chemistry.  In those you may put a fair size chunk of the strip.  These have little to no odor and will actually kill insects and eggs.  I think the napthalene will not; just keep them away if you don't already have them in a new purchase.  My procedure is to put new purchases in one of those under bed roller gizmos with a big chunk of a No Pest Strip for a few weeks before storing it with any older materials.  A quarantine, if you will.  It would be wise to handle the No Pest Strip with surgical gloves.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#7 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

Best regards for you and the family.........glad you hung in there after the first three trys, couldn't have been easy!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#8 jeff l moore

jeff l moore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

Congratulations Girl, She is going to be a hart beaker  now you call Lisa to babysit you two can get night off or go fishing

#9 taonga

taonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:12 PM

From far away we wish you all the best in the World....what at beauty you both have.....

Gyrithe and Per

from Denmark

Remember to live your life, there are no replay of it!

#10 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 08:48 PM

Congrats on the new addition. Like Dale, I am also an expert on baby girls. It is also true what everyone says, they grow up in the blink of an eye. 

Stephen

#11 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:10 AM

Congratulations Karli-Rae!! Thanks for sharing this wonderful news with us. Marc

#12 AlbaSurf

AlbaSurf

KarliRae

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:20 AM

I am sure I will be hitting you all up for wisdom and baby-raising advice! We don't have a lot in the way of grandparents to go to for that kind of stuff. Dale - I am sure your input on baby girls will be very helpful, regardless of what Geert says. ;-) 

And Geert, I have a hook loaded in the vice right now, first one in two years! It might take me a month to finish it but I am getting started! It's good to be back! 

"Nursing is an art: and if it is to be made an art,
It requires an exclusive devotion as hard a preparation,
as any painter's or sculptor's work; for what is the having to do with dead canvas or dead marble,
compared with having to do with the living body, the temple of God's spirit?
It is one of the Fine Arts:
I had almost said, the finest of Fine Arts."
-- Florence Nightingale

“Adventure is a path. Real adventure - self-determined, self-motivated, often risky - forces you to have firsthand encounters with the world. The world the way it is, not the way you imagine it. Your body will collide with the earth and you will bear witness. In this way you will be compelled to grapple with the limitless kindness and bottomless cruelty of humankind - and perhaps realize that you yourself are capable of both. This will change you. Nothing will ever again be black-and-white.”
--Mark Jenkins

#13 whiskeyjin

whiskeyjin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:32 PM

Congratulations !!