#21 get bent

get bent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 03:48 AM

SHAWN and VERKERK,

please GO AWAY 'both' ...and DON'T COME BACK anymore...as all YOU did YOU two was 'what YOU had in mind......

...HAWKING 24 hours a day  of 'members' for and to YOUR own 'site' Mr. VERKERK...and making publicity in FAT INKT with every but then every REPLY YOU made ...'smart and FOXY' manners with Your choosen name a couple of years back...this with  GIFTING Your site as good as  the same name as this wonderful forum HERE !!!...confusing 'old' and 'new' members...............and I will 'hold' it to that as I am still RESPECTFULL with my words !!!

and SHAWN You where and still are ...and allways will be a UN RESPECTFULL 'person' ...and many many members have that same 'thinking' YOU are unrespectfull on many many levels !!!

Geert

you are, without a shadow of a doubt, the oddest of the odd.

I mean, I would not like to frequent a forum where every second post is written in the manner above.

if there's a reason why this place is tumbleweed it's because of the embarrassing posts written in broken english involving the LOVE and RESPECT of people's families as if it was of some importance.

your posts are a complete load of nonsense. I'm embarrassed for you.

but by all means... PLEASE CONTINUE!!!!!!!

spanner.

I also want to give a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

#22 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 01:01 PM

Shawn,

You crossed the line.

Would one of the admins please block this bozo?

Thanks,

Marc

#23 Probie

Probie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 09:58 PM

I always thought that guy "shunned", or was it "two fish" was the big troublemaker here ?

#24 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:05 AM

Actually, there is a third
When this forum came to light there were only a few public venues catering to this hobby. FACT, there are hundreds now
We had the whole pie
Now all those hundreds have each a very very small piece
I also want to give a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#25 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 10:45 AM

you are, without a shadow of a doubt, the oddest of the odd.

I mean, I would not like to frequent a forum where every second post is written in the manner above.

if there's a reason why this place is tumbleweed it's because of the embarrassing posts written in broken english involving the LOVE and RESPECT of people's families as if it was of some importance.

your posts are a complete load of nonsense. I'm embarrassed for you.

but by all means... PLEASE CONTINUE!!!!!!!

spanner.

All I can say to you sir...you've attacked and mocked the wrong guy.

Geert is one of the most generous, kindest, warmest, truly friendly people you will ever have the privilege to have cross your path in life. He is now and always will be my friend....along with his entire wonderful family!!

As a result of your hastily typed words you have made yourself a pariah and an outcast in the small world of the classic salmon fly tying community...and I am absolutely certain on that point.

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#26 Robert Verkerk

Robert Verkerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

Ill second that, George. If there is one person that Im sure is genuinely kind and good hearted, it is Geert.

Rv-

#27 S FONTINALIS

S FONTINALIS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 03:24 PM

you've got your forums crossed, mate.
jon's is free. 

free from a lot of other nonsense as well.

no arguments. 
no flippant thread/post deletion.
no bullying.
no stipulations.
no so-called "experts" 
no so-called "authors"
no so-called "originators"

no expectations, no regrets.
no roaring traffic through there either but I'm quite okay with that... it is, in the true sense of the word, cool.

I wouldn't like to see this place die a horrible road side death.
but so many fools have cut their milk teeth and wiped their filthy feet in here I don't really care either. I won't be losing any sleep.

I know why this place failed. and I'll happily tell you.
it housed self-appointed deities and then, after a short spell, they took count (and their ball) and went to play with their real friends.
edwin didn't help but that kid is yesterday's pizza.

facebook is the place to be if instantaneous self-gratification is your thing.
and perhaps it's just a coincidence that the mob from here has moved to there.

if you think I'm wrong all you have to do is look. numbers don't lie.

if I'm thankful for anything from this place (other than an introduction to jon) it would be us using this place as a template of what not to do.

eventually I'll see you there,
shawn

ps. friendly wager?

I meant this forum. I know Jon’s set up well.

#28 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 04:08 PM

Lol- no, I don't know Roger.

I've known Roger for over 25 years and his depiction in that book is so dramatized that I laughed out loud after reading it.  One of the reasons I am angered/annoyed at the book is because of the falsehoods can and will occur. Your statement about Roger, probably in jest, backs my concern. 

I was pointed to this forum years ago because of the interaction between people with the same interests from across the oceans. .  Voices arrive, chime in, change outlooks then move on.  

So many voices, it is impossible for everyone to agree or even be friendly but mostly the arguments were civilized.  I'd like it to stay this way.

#29 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 10:43 PM

Roger as a thug...that part was pretty funny.

#30 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 07:41 PM

Wow, Shawn youve got really caustic, whats happened to you? I kinda liked the no nonsense posts that you made and I sort of got your humour as well. Last I heard from you, last winter, you made your final swan song post........ but it seems that your still here, lurking, spouting your toxic shit.
You should go now and stay the f%#@ gone

Muppet!

#31 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:51 AM

The forum is now for those who call themselves gentlemen, good people that dont ridicule others or cheat others. I'm sorry it has grown to this ...... but trust when I say there will be no more disrespecting people allowed here, you might do it once but not twice, I give yall all my word on that

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#32 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:55 AM

Tidal. I agree that was funny, guess I'm a bad guy to by what I notice after reading the book. It was well written but I thought alot of it was a joke. We were labeled as all bad guys and as most of you know, that's far from a truth he tried to convey in THE BOOK

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#33 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 10:58 AM

Geert reminds me of winnie da poo, a big kind generous honey sharing teddy bear

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#34 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:30 PM

The forum is now for those who call themselves gentlemen, good people that dont ridicule others or cheat others. I'm sorry it has grown to this ...... but trust when I say there will be no more disrespecting people allowed here, you might do it once but not twice, I give yall all my word on that

Bud,

I hear you...but I honestly wonder if this is too little too late. I sure hope not...this site has been good to and for me.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#35 Robert Verkerk

Robert Verkerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 04:43 PM

With Ronn and all of them gone, it'll be hard not to see the logic in George's response. There is probably truth behind Eunan's hear-say. 

Rv-

#36 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 08:11 PM

I just wonder how much he got paid for writing the book?

#37 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

I just wonder how much he got paid for writing the book?

That turned out to be harder to discover than I would have thought.  The closest I could come was its ranking among Amazon book sales.  It is over 130,000 from the best selling book in volume of sales.  

I presume you are wondering what his royalties are so far? (I'm pretty sure he was not "paid" to write the book by any individual or organization or publisher.)   I can't find that information online so far.  Maybe ask him?  I think he still follows this and other web sites dealing with feather wing salmon fly tying.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#38 Ephemerella

Ephemerella

Peter Simonson, Greenville, NH, USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 13 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

No one will get rich from that book. Flyfishing/flytying books sell a paltry 7000-10000 copies if they are a top-seller, fewer than 2000 otherwise. Today, it is ranked #3236 in Amazon best-seller books, which is remarkably high - roughly 900 books per month using an on-line less-than-reliable calculator. The Amazon rank reportedly is highly dependent on sales over the last few days, so should be taken with a grain of salt.  A rank of 130000 as seen on Oct 5 is like 30 per month. So let's say somewhere between 200 and 700 copies a month. Which means the book is doing remarkably well for this genre.  Depending on how one publishes, for traditional publishers (like Viking - the book's publisher) royalties to the author are not much per copy, on the order of $1-3 for hardcover books by non-bestseller authors, maybe more if accelerators kick in (extra payments for sales exceeding quota). Consider this, after less than 6 months, the book is already in discount - Amazon has knocked $5 off the price at last look. Amazon lists it as a best seller in the "Museum" category, for whatever that's worth. I'm thinking the book might buy some "beer money". One could make more money selling flytying materials - I mean those obtained legally (!).

So published because Kirk wanted to write it and the publisher thought they could sell it. And despite our friends and acquaintances being mentioned in the book in not always the best light, I'm guessing even the detractors among us are buying (or borrowing) the book.

-Peter

#39 cphubert

cphubert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:21 PM

The book made a posting on the Fly Tying Forum, not surprising few heard the story those that read it had mostly mixed comments. But said it was well written...

#40 Russ d

Russ d

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 November 2018 - 07:44 PM

Hi all, Been a long time since I was on here. I have had some health issues that have rendered me unable to tie for quite a while so have been an occasional viewer. Some of the comments on this thread have not only disgusted me but angered me too. I have learned so much from the generosity of the people on here and I have found it always nice place to be. So what if members use broken English - I would wager it is better than you can write their language. And so what if people love and admire family, hell I do, I love my family and the family of all my good friends. I am sadened by this but am also aware that things move on. People will drift away to what they consider a more modern and funky system but the wealth of historical info on here is worth keeping, as Bud said this has been here from the start and I think a way of preserving that is needed - that should be respected. OK, that's my take and I think this forum is maybe going to follow the inevitable demise of many other similar niche forums but hey ho that maybe just the way it's going to go. All I ask is respect to all those that have helped others and let's keep everything nice and friendly. I hope to get back to tying soon so hopefully will chat to all my friends on here soon. Cheers, RussD