44 replies to this topic

#1 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 06:23 PM

I hope it is just summer and no one is posting on here about anything.  

I REALLY HOPE THE LOSS OF TOPICS IS NOT BECAUSE OF THAT DAMNED BIRD BOOK !!!!!

If it is then he won.

#2 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 07:28 PM

Take a look at the  other sites that discus feather wing salmon flies and their materials.  They are busy.  As usual.  Just yesterday, I was able to help a fellow that was getting back into tying the flies.  So far, I have not been able to detect a change, one way or the other, in interest about feather wing salmon flies.  It does not appear that either the Rist theft, or the book about it, has affected tier's overall interest.  Certainly individuals come and go (and come again).  This week I also chatted with a fellow that is just no longer interested.  He intends to concentrate on his golf game.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#3 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 08:01 PM

Yeah man, the community is alive as ever. Lots of new blood. Just not here.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#4 wsbailey

wsbailey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 03:48 AM

Facebook came along. Lots of activity over there.

#5 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

It ain't that damned book Ted...just lots more choices.

I myself have taken a liking to a new site - flytying.world. Yes it's new, but...hmmm...I just like the format and there are a number of old faces/friends from here.

Plus on the advice of a lifelong friend and computer security expert...I stay away from Facebook.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#6 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

Dear GEORGE,

I will E mail YOU in the first week who will come (sooooo somewhere 'next' week)..promised !!!...

It does fine to see YOU still 'jumping in here' NOW.....ah since I started with 'FACEBOOK' (half june)...I came over here only 'sporadic' anymore toooooooooo...

Ah meeee tooooooo was very 'sceptic and suspicious' about starting with and on FACEBOOK...but I think realy GEORGE tha YOU have everything in 'hand' yourself.....IF YOU DON'T WANT ...that others become Your friends...YOU can allways neglect their demand to become friend...You by Your side may ask to someone to become his friend ...sooooooo in a sense YOU are completly but completly IN CONTROL of everything........................psttttttt there are people who are on Facebook who have only 3 or 4 friends.   And in cas YOU don't want to post PHOTO's of ANY kind YOU don't have to do that...also not on a regular basis ...You decide what YOU will post and show ...on what YOU will react.   You have the chooice for instance to JOIN ...certain different FACEBOOK GROUPS...(Classic Salmon Flies....or Artistic Salmon Flies...or 'both' incorporated in a certain Group...or 'Wet and Streamers' and go on and on...)......and once in such a GROUP YOU can 'push' a button to say to the person who has launched a photo of a fly (his fly)...I like it (this with a 'thumbs up' or a 'heart' or a 'WOW'....

psttttttttttt I don't see any problem at all ...when YOU want to hold 'the most' of Your privat for Yourself and not for the public ...or even 'friends'......

my 'two cents' and 'experiences' since I started on Facebook 'half june'...

Greetings to Your beloved 'one'.....pstttttttttttttttttt and believe me GEORGE...YOU STAY IN ME AND NATHALIE's and my children HEART(s)

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#7 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 01:59 PM

I think it was a brilliant move of Jon to start his own forum. God knows he tried to contribute to this place, to no avail. Im surprised Will is still paying for this domain, and with the remaining bunch now moved, I reckon this place will now finally just fade into oblivion.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

#8 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 04:34 PM

Dear EVERYONE,

ONE THING IS realy PITTY...some of YOU know pretty well WHO killed this marvellous 'site' here !!!...and NO this was NOT ...I repeat ...it or this was NOT...'FACEBOOK'... !!!

'my two cents'

Geert

#9 Torrishpale

Torrishpale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

There is so much amazing content on this site. I would hate to see it go.

Giles

#10 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 11:30 AM

Dear GILES,

You are soooooooooo RIGHT !!!...hope things go well 'upthere' for YOU and Your close 'ones' !!!...

With lots of respect !

Geert

#11 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

Dear Geert,

I just sent you an email...looking forward to your response.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#12 DaveT

DaveT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 11:15 PM

If it is then he won.

Who's "he"? Edwin?
"Goin' home, goin' home, by the waterside I will rest my bones.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs, to rock my soul."

#13 S FONTINALIS

S FONTINALIS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 12:34 AM

I think it was a brilliant move of Jon to start his own forum. God knows he tried to contribute to this place, to no avail. Im surprised Will is still paying for this domain, and with the remaining bunch now moved, I reckon this place will now finally just fade into oblivion.
Rv-

Weren’t the sponsors and subscribers swindled out of money to pay for it?

#14 get bent

get bent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:35 AM

you've got your forums crossed, mate.

jon's is free. 

free from a lot of other nonsense as well.

no arguments. 

no flippant thread/post deletion.

no bullying.

no stipulations.

no so-called "experts" 

no so-called "authors"

no so-called "originators"

no expectations, no regrets.

no roaring traffic through there either but I'm quite okay with that... it is, in the true sense of the word, cool.

I wouldn't like to see this place die a horrible road side death.

but so many fools have cut their milk teeth and wiped their filthy feet in here I don't really care either. I won't be losing any sleep.

I know why this place failed. and I'll happily tell you.

it housed self-appointed deities and then, after a short spell, they took count (and their ball) and went to play with their real friends.

edwin didn't help but that kid is yesterday's pizza.

facebook is the place to be if instantaneous self-gratification is your thing.

and perhaps it's just a coincidence that the mob from here has moved to there.

if you think I'm wrong all you have to do is look. numbers don't lie.

if I'm thankful for anything from this place (other than an introduction to jon) it would be us using this place as a template of what not to do.

eventually I'll see you there,

shawn

ps. friendly wager?

I also want to give a big sincere thank you to all of you who still participate, I'm still here, every single day.

#15 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:07 PM

SHAWN and VERKERK,

please GO AWAY 'both' ...and DON'T COME BACK anymore...as all YOU did YOU two was 'what YOU had in mind......

...HAWKING 24 hours a day  of 'members' for and to YOUR own 'site' Mr. VERKERK...and making publicity in FAT INKT with every but then every REPLY YOU made ...'smart and FOXY' manners with Your choosen name a couple of years back...this with  GIFTING Your site as good as  the same name as this wonderful forum HERE !!!...confusing 'old' and 'new' members...............and I will 'hold' it to that as I am still RESPECTFULL with my words !!!

and SHAWN You where and still are ...and allways will be a UN RESPECTFULL 'person' ...and many many members have that same 'thinking' YOU are unrespectfull on many many levels !!!

Geert

#16 ted patlen

ted patlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 06:40 PM

Who's "he"? Edwin?

By he, I mean the "holier than thou" author.   He decides that he must be the lone wolf of justice to expose all fly tiers as dark and insidious dealers in an activity of which he parallels to the drug trade.

If we as a group stop talking or hide then we stand guilty in the eyes of the misinformed as the characters he has parodied in his "novel".

He has written this book for what reason beside to put money in his bank account?

#17 DaveT

DaveT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:05 PM

By he, I mean the "holier than thou" author.   He decides that he must be the lone wolf of justice to expose all fly tiers as dark and insidious dealers in an activity of which he parallels to the drug trade.

If we as a group stop talking or hide then we stand guilty in the eyes of the misinformed as the characters he has parodied in his "novel".

He has written this book for what reason beside to put money in his bank account?

Yeah-I'm sure he's making a real killing. Between this blockbuster and that Iraqi refugee non-profit racket I'm sure he's living pretty high on the hog.

I bet there's no one here (myself included) that could say with 100% certainty that every feather in their tying room is totally legitimate. The fact that folks are so upset with him for shining a light on that fact only proves his point. But if you want to go on buying those Estonian jungle cock necks on Ebay and convincing yourself that they're ok, be my guest.

Please dont send Roger after me.

#18 ted patlen

ted patlen

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 26 September 2018 - 11:44 PM

Yeah-I'm sure he's making a real killing. Between this blockbuster and that Iraqi refugee non-profit racket I'm sure he's living pretty high on the hog.

I bet there's no one here (myself included) that could say with 100% certainty that every feather in their tying room is totally legitimate. The fact that folks are so upset with him for shining a light on that fact only proves his point. But if you want to go on buying those Estonian jungle cock necks on Ebay and convincing yourself that they're ok, be my guest.

Please dont send Roger after me.

well at least you're replying  with an  opinion.  That's what this forum should be about.  For people to stop conversing because of his expose doesn't prove or disapprove a thing but it does make those look guilty.   btw...do you know Roger?

#19 DaveT

DaveT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 12:47 AM

well at least you're replying  with an  opinion.  That's what this forum should be about.

Well, I agree with you there.

Lol- no, I don't know Roger.

#20 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 September 2018 - 11:00 AM

The paralels that are drawn between drug trade and illegal animal trade are actually not that far off. Animals are the third largest crime biz in the world, but unlike nr.1 and 2, animals are not a priority of any authority.

That doesnt mean that salmon fly tiers and any collectors of taxidermy are criminals though, and we all should not care too much about the contents of a book. It is just the way of the media, really. Ariane Grande killed a guy just last week, they say, but he only killed himself. Imagine how she must feel. We dont have it too bad :-)

There are only two factors that have been central in the dimise of this board. One is division, the other is Will Mulis.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net