• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

Does anybody like to fish long shanked dries for the big Drake hatches this time of year? I started this a few years back and it really made the tying easier , looked actually more realistic on the water and, most importantly, it caught fish. GOOD fish. I'm older so I still refer to everything in terms of Mustad, hahaha, so I'm using the #94831 in size #8-12 for Brown, Green, Yellow and Slate Drakes. 

I hesitated for a long time to try these because I used to read that the hooking quality was poorer with a long shanked hook, but I can't point to that at all. I use pheasant tail fibers for the tails, Gink up the body since it tends to float flat and I get a great hookup rate like that.

#2 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 03:31 AM

long shanked hooks are heavy...I like to use two styles for extended bodies, both much lighter when rted on smaller hooks.

Harry Darbee's two-feather is one.  You can tie a fly that is bigger than 1inch long onto a short shanked #14.  Using the same thinking a fly with a body made from furled nylon or whatever materials you wish can accomplish the same thing.   ONly drawback to the furled method is that if not stiff enough or waterproof enough then the abdomen can foul around the hook.

both methods are favorites 

#3 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,399 posts

Posted 12 June 2018 - 08:09 AM

There are quite a number of patterns, here in the U.K. that use longer shanked hooks for dry flies, However they're now no longer as popular as they were, say 10+ years ago. As well as the reasons Ted mantioned, another reason was that due to the length of the shank, the fish could (possibly) impart more leverage on the hook & make it easier to self-release.