7 replies to this topic

#1 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 03:01 AM

Does anyone have a source for a PDF copy of Augustus Grimble's the Salmon Rivers of Scotland, volume 4?  I have searched Google books, archive.org, biodiversitylibrary.org and a few others, without locating a downloadable copy.  Google returns a limited-view copy.  I'm specifically looking for any dressings which were in the copy.  Thanks much.

Michael

#2 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 02:31 PM

For less than twenty bucks you may purchase reprint....

Darwin award winner of flytying

#3 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

Jim,

Thanks.  I've a message out to the one re-printer who is listed in Abebooks.com, but he has not yet responded.

Michael

#4 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:36 PM

Jim,

Thanks.  I've a message out to the one re-printer who is listed in Abebooks.com, but he has not yet responded.

Michael

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 10:21 PM

You may also purchase an original third edition that has all four volumes condensed into one for around fifty bucks.  It would probably be an interesting thing to have.

#6 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 28 November 2019 - 04:10 PM

Jim,

Thank you.  I have a copy of the 1913 third printing.  Grimble notes in his introduction that in the condensed versions, some miscellany, including the illustrations/photographs have been omitted for "want of space."  Since my interests run to the whole of the content, I was seeking an electronic or reproduction copy of the fourth volume, but it seems to be relatively rare and somewhat prohibitively expensive when found.  The reprinter in India has not acknowledged (receipt requested) or responded to my e-mail.  I'm going to pursue the educational institution route.

Michael  

#7 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 01:05 AM

I wish you may find it.  I understood, however, that the things omitted were four chapters on how Grimble thought the fishery could be improved.  I have never seen the complete original four volumes, so can't say from experience.  I would be curious to know once you have them in hand.  Surely he did not omit any fly mentions or descriptions!?

#8 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 02:16 AM

Jim,

Thanks.  I'm going to keep looking.  You are correct, in my understanding of what Grimble says he omitted, at least regarding the chapters themselves.  I compared the first river chapter of the first volume between the first and third editions and the text was the same.  The illustrations of country houses, fishers, beats, pools, and other "highlights" from the rivers aren't in the consolidation, nor are the introductory comments, and I'm not sure how he handled the fourth map, as there was one in each of the original volumes, but only three in the consolidation.  These are little things to leave out, and I can understand his reason for doing so -- to conserve space -- but they enrich the originals immensely.  He could have also formatted the originals singled spaced and fully justified, instead of half page and double spaced, and included the illustrations.  That would have condensed them enough for one volume, I think.

Michael