#1 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:20 PM

All,

Today I got to handle and shoot the 1st edition at BYU.  Attached are a set of the photos.  I'm no professional photographer, and this little volume had some serious desire to remain closed, next time I will take a piece of non-glare glass to set on top of the little bugger so that I could concentrate on the camera. 

This little book is truely vest pocket size and the flies are tiny, the largest is about the size of a modern No. 10 or No.8 wet fly, though you can see from the images that the hooks are a bit more stout and have those lovely (Phillips?) point, barb and bend...

The colors are remarkably vibrant, it was a priviledge to see this in person.

Cheers,

Swill

PS,  Per the note below from Iaho in Sweden regarding the auction price of 187,000+ pounds, I have attached a note from the web describing this event.  Interesting history...

http://www.mooreallen.co.uk/auction-house/news-events/25-october-sale-blackers

Attached Files

Dave White aka "Swill Gordon"

Stay Thirsty, My Friends...

#2 Speyfly89

Speyfly89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,206 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:30 PM

Super!!! Thanks for posting this
"The swing is the thing, the tug is the drug" unknown source

Kevin

#3 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:05 PM

If only!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

Wow!.  What a treat to look at those photos.  Thanks! 

Marc 

#5 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:43 PM

If only!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob,

I was thinking of you when I started planning this little excursion, as I have gained so much from your book (which Charley gave me one year for Christmas).  I'll probably shoot 100 x 10mb photos with the macro so that we can get some good definition of these ancient flies.

Looking forward to being your eyes on this one, mate!

Swill

PS.  did you notice that some of the flies were palmered with two hackles...

#6 bobfly

bobfly

Bob Frandsen. East Gippsland. Victoria. Australia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,455 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:03 PM

I did Swill. I`ve got one of those copies that don`t show all that nice detail

#7 BCBound

BCBound

Scott Norris, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:54 PM

Outstanding. What an interesting step by step.
Scott Norris

The sunken pool is nice and cool....

#8 taonga

taonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:16 AM

Very exciting.

Per

Remember to live your life, there are no replay of it!

#9 whiskeyjin

whiskeyjin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 05:18 PM

Thanks for sharing this !!

Jin

#10 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:37 PM

Forum Member Iaho (Lars Holst)  from Denmark reports:

A (Blacker) first edition sold at auction at Sotheby's (London) last year for 187,500 pounds!

I think I will not share that little tidbit with the Special Collections Librarian at BYU (at least until after I have photographed the volume!)

Swill

#11 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for sharing those photos...  have seen an original copy up close but alas it was missing the materials and flies in the book..  I always wondered what was the inserted materials/flies...  cool stuff!

Cheers

Lee

#12 mark m

mark m

Mark Mercer, Port Orchard, Washington USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 12:08 AM

Exceptional find, Swill !!!  This is really cool, look forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Mark

#13 scottishsalmon

scottishsalmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:44 AM

The last edition of Waterlog magazine had a piece in it by Andrew Herd - it's all about a book called "Blacker" he is putting together with Herman Dietrich-Troeltsch -  here is a quote for the article : 

"Our book is not a whisper, even though it is centred around some of the world's most extraordinary collections, and our aim is to share as much of them as we can. We intend to provide a once in a lifetime window into the class of angling library that exists on the edge of imagination, illustrated by the kind of photography that will make it feel as if you own the content and in the process our aim is not so much to raise the bar on angling monographs, as to kick it out of sight. The majority of the books that you will see belong to Herman Dietrich-Troeltsch, but we have been  lucky enough to collaborate with the Flyfisher's Club and we will be featuring copies found in their library, in the libraries of the club's members, the Royal Collection at Balmoral, in the Bodleian Library [Oxford] and in other collections from around the world"

"What was to be one volume is now three, thanks to many late coffee-fuelled night sessions that redrew the scope of the project, so the second volume will cover the different flavours of Blacker's 1842 and 1843 editions in lavish details, right down to complete photographic surveys of key issues at the actual size of the originals. The 1843 edition comes in for special attention, because although this 130 page book rewrote the subsequent history of salmon fishing and contains dressings for 100 salmon flies, including many of Blacker's finest patterns, many authorities are unaware of it and it has consequently been eclipsed by the considerably less interesting 1855 edition. The third volume will feature Blacker's trout and salmon flies, with lush macro shots of flies tied by the man himself, including a couple of dozen partially dressed and complete salmon flies, together with recreations of patterns where originals do not exist, all of them tied in the hand without any substitution of materials at all on reproduction Philips hooks supplied by Partridge"

"The title? Just one word - Blacker. The book will go on sale in 2016, in two formats - as a standard edition, three volume set, printed in full colour to the highest possible standards, and a limited edition of which there will be just one dozen leather-bound sets, each with three flies supplied in a matching volume. Whether you opt for the standard or the limited edition, you will never have seen a fishing book like it before"

I have no connection to Andrew or the publishers - but I do think it is an incredible subject for a new book, it will be published by the Medlar Press who, in my experience, have high production values - I'll be buying one - just for the photos!

Cheers

Colin

Visit My Website for photos of vintage flies and pattern details - specifically for the North East of Scotland, but getting broader in coverage!

#14 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:50 AM

Dear DAVE,

Thanks for this 'post'...

LOVE this !!!...and the feathers are well 'intact' after all this years...

and did YOU noticed that they 'all'  are showing SUCH wonderful hooks !!!...a nice 'Dublin' typ they are IMO...and some are reasonably 'stout' in appearance for the typ of flies (especially captured in the last two pictures)

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#15 Tom Allerton

Tom Allerton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:58 PM

That is amazing stuff!!!

Thanks for the huge effort.

Tom

#16 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 12:27 AM

All,

Now attached in this post is the large image files I took yesterday.

Swill

#17 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:19 PM

Dear DAVE,

Thanks for this 'post'...

LOVE this !!!...and the feathers are well 'intact' after all this years...

and did YOU noticed that they 'all'  are showing SUCH wonderful hooks !!!...a nice 'Dublin' typ they are IMO...and some are reasonably 'stout' in appearance for the typ of flies (especially captured in the last two pictures)

Geert

Geert,

hopefully you can see these even better now that I have uploaded the higher density images.

Swill

#18 Barkworth

Barkworth

____ Robert Verkerk ____ ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 03:43 PM

Looking at those flies, I wonder why the elusive Ghost flies are attibuted to Blacker. But it is good to see that the flies look more or less exactly like the plates. Thank you for taking the time to share these.

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#19 speyanddee

speyanddee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:30 PM

Really interesting thanks for sharing! Johannes

Johannes Beeby

The Spey Tyer - https://www.facebook.com/groups/316585938507659/

"I do indeed think an outdoor crap, or at the very least an outdoor whiz, is crucial to understanding how you, as an insignificant atom, fit into the cosmic whole." - Babb

#20 Hookmaker

Hookmaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:39 PM

Two comments:

1) The books to be published by Andrew sounds like a real treat. Andrew is highly regarded as a great historian on angling and flytying.

2) There are quite a number of 1843 editions out there including flies. A British collector owned in excess of 20 copies with flies, of whom at least one was so filled, that it carried a leather waistband to keep it closed. There were no salmon flies in any of these copies, though - only trout and sea trout flies (according to my source who saw and handled every one of these copies).

I say out there, because this particular collector is now deceased, and what became of his "little" collection I have not heard. As far as I know, the only copy of a Blacker book that exists with a SALMON fly inserted in to it (or at least what could be a salmon fly), is the one residing at the Brigham Young Library in SLC.