My soul belongs to my flies

#2 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

layer of thread on taper to secure gut, gut tied in, i'm using 70 denier thread here, thread is moved to tip using edge to edge wraps, edge to edge wraps have to be perfectly tied in, no gaps,  tip is tied in and 70m denier moved back to head area , again edge to edge wraps, 140 replace 70 and edge to edge wraps continue until desired shape is achieved, be careful to spin bobbin to flatten thread when making direction changes, once desired shape is achieved move 140 back to head area, replace with 70 and body then needs to be burnished,  I use a lot of pressure here when burnishing, supporting under hook and applying as much force as I can above with stone. once burnished I move 70 to tag area and do another finale  burnish as hard as I can.  you can see body is as smooth as glass and very hard. pic is the stone I have been using for years. this stone has thousands of miles on it,  burnishing and flying around the country.  this stone is coming to heaven with me

sorry for some pics being abit blurry but I think you get the idea

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family

#3 copcheck

copcheck

Craft Glue Cautory Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:08 PM

Bud,

Thank you.

I'm practicing this currently and these pictures will help a lot!

For me the 5th picture helps the best as I was struggling to figure out where to end my thread in relation to the silver twist.

Again, thank you!

Jon

#4 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

You forgot one important thing Bud...have patience. smile.png  Tying these flies is more like a marathon than a sprint. I know this is an issue for me...but I am learning to relax and enjoy the process.

I do like the way you are doing that underbody, and I will do my best to do the same.

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#5 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:14 PM

Dear BUD,

A very very good tutorial...helpfull for 'everybody' !!!....ah ah ah YOU are a most helpfull person !!!

With lots of respect 'ole boy' !!!......and greetings to D. and C. ...and hope Your sugarlevels are/stay more or less  'under control' !

Geert and Natahlie

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#6 jengelm1

jengelm1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Thanks! I will practice...
Jerry Engelman
Plymouth, MI

#7 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

geert, sugar is always like my adrenaline levels, always wide open and much to high

jon,  I tie in the tip during process of making the underbody,  I know my method is out of the box but I have been doing it this way since day one. i'm very unconventional when tying these flies. I have never followed rules or guidelines, instead doing things my way which were easier for me and not time consuming like the classic methods. please understand i'm not saying to anyone this is the way to do this. this is only my way and if it helps anyone develope there own style then so be it.  i'm pretty particular about having things hang in the way when doing these flies so the conventional method of using materials tied in to build bulk in the underbody drove me nuts, this way of doing this kept things neat and tidy as I moved forward with new materials. every single piece of material is clipped away after tying it in with a few thread wraps 

George, if you would see me tying one of these underbodies, you would call it a sprint. if you walked away to only pour yourself a drink,  you'd miss it

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family

#8 Chris Knox

Chris Knox

Chris Knox- London, England

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:36 PM

Great SBS Bud. I tend to always use an underbody on flies, and of course try to make it as smooth as possible if i'm putting floss over for the body- but one thing to mention would be that back in the day, they didn't really bother with underbodies. Most of the 'bulk' would have come from gut that was tied the full length of the fly and of course adding the tinsels etc. 

Edit: looks like we posted at the same time Bud haha :) 

"Why fish for tinsel when you can fish for gold ?"- Frank Sawyer on the subject of Grayling

#9 Jeff Dickey

Jeff Dickey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for this Bud.  Interesting that you tie in the tag first - different from how I currently do it but I may have to give this a try and see how I like it.

-Jeff

#10 peterdc

peterdc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 10:00 PM

Thanks for sharing this Bud! I've tried a few method's and I one I like the most till now is about the same as the one you described here. The only different thing is that I don't tie the tip in, I create the underbody first and start afterwards with tip, tag, tail, but,...

this is what my underbodies looks like..

Attached File  underbody.jpg   27.77K   127 downloads

Peter

#11 steely34

steely34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

Thanks much for this Bud. Deeply appreciate the time you took. It's interesting to me also that the tag is tied in first and I'm gonna have to try that. Makes sense, Thanks again!

Tom Herr

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

#12 copcheck

copcheck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:05 AM

#13 copcheck

copcheck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:07 AM

Ok Bud, here is my latest effort.

Thanks again for the SBS.

Jon

lQpiaYg.jpg

#14 mark m

mark m

Mark Mercer, Port Orchard, Washington USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,948 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

Thanks Bud, great SBS !!!  Interesting, tying the tag in with the underbody, never thought about doing like that, I guess it makes as much since as any other way...  

Mark

#15 mlwebb

mlwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:24 AM

Thank you. I admire the density. I like tying in the tip with the underbody too, I think it helps me see the shape of the fly.

Michael

#16 whiskeyjin

whiskeyjin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:48 AM

Great works Bud !!

Thanks for sharing this SBS !!

Jin

#17 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:07 PM

Ok Bud, here is my latest effort.

Thanks again for the SBS.

Jon

lQpiaYg.jpg

WOW...like that tiny tube idea over the point of the hook. That spot sure isn't a friend of mine. That will be resolved today via a trip to the hardware store or a local hobby shop...George

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#18 copcheck

copcheck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:42 PM

WOW...like that tiny tube idea over the point of the hook. That spot sure isn't a friend of mine. That will be resolved today via a trip to the hardware store or a local hobby shop...George

Me too LOL.

Don't go to the hardware.  If you have some larva lace use it, that is what I used in the picture above.

#19 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just Livin' The Dream

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Me too LOL.

Don't go to the hardware.  If you have some larva lace use it, that is what I used in the picture above.

Larva lace...no problem and thanks!!

Petri Heil,

George

#20 Trad. Fly.

Trad. Fly.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hi Bud,
Very simple, I dont agree. Why, Would not hold a salmon. I have had salmon break mono. 15 to 20 lbs while spinning like a thread.
Charlie