73 replies to this topic

#41 slenon

slenon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:21 PM

Ron, I find the Uni Glow Floss to be rather slick but I did manage to tie up a nice humpy variation the other night using it for the body. with a dark back and wings it looks quite like a lightning bug.

I need to work with the material some more but I can see it having a real attractant benefit in low light situations.

My nest effort with it will be in tying some shrimp flies to use for snook.

It's interesting material, has a longer phosphorescense period than the yarn. But I don't see myself using much of it for salmon flies.
Cu Zev

drown flies to darkstar

#42 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation p

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,154 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 05:45 PM

Stev, go to the craft section of the store and get some of the DMC rayon I've talked about and give it a try.

#43 slenon

slenon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (DFix @ Oct 21 2004, 01:45 PM)
Stev, go to the craft section of the store and get some of the DMC rayon I've talked about and give it a try.

Dfix, The first floss I bought when I returned to tying after far to long a hiatus was craft shop embrodery floss. AS you indicate, it works well and catches fish.

But, like many fly tyers, I sometimes get hooked by material manufacturers. The glo products hooked me. Eventually, I'll get back to normal feeding habits. Until I do, I'll have fun playing with these phosphorescent materials.
Cu Zev

drown flies to darkstar

#44 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,028 posts

Posted 16 November 2004 - 10:42 PM

Thanks for all the great info on floss.I have hated the stuff for a long time.I dont have much, but now I can dig it out from where ever i hid it.I do like Unistreach in a bobbin its great stuff.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#45 pedrofly

pedrofly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:19 PM

Trout Bum,
Excellent step-by-step photos/instructions on laying on a floss body. As you have shown it is extremely important to form the underbody before applying the coloured floss of choice. Hopefully in the near future I can help out with some step-by-step photos just like you did...great idea my friend and keep up the great work. BTW when are we going to see some of your superb flies at the Irish Open Flytying Championships cool.gif .

UNI stretch is excellent for all your flishing flies and is so easy to apply...even in a bobbin as some have advised. I use it all the time. On the flies for framing I use rayon floss that comes on large 1oz spools from Hunters. I also use Japanese silk floss for certain patterns but this stuff is real delicate, whereas the rayon will take a good burnishing.

Pedro.
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Flytying Ireland

#46 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 07:57 PM

Pedro,

In the 2004 Open Marvin's Assassin example was so perfect that it was intimidating. I promise to enter the next round. Thanks for the kind words regarding the step-by-step, I appreciate your input.

TB
"“The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up.” - George Carlin

#47 Gopher

Gopher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 January 2005 - 11:56 PM

To troutbum,

Thanks for the link to get smooth floss bodies. I've used that technique before, and I use the exact same one on my flies, except with white thread or silk underneath, rather than tinsel.

My problem is How do I get the smooth body and get a taper to the body of an atlantic, like we see the the Trharine pattern. I have acouple of books, including Tying the Classic salmon fly. But I can't seen to get a good taper. Any suggestions.

gopher

#48 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:23 AM

In Michael Radencich's book, pages 95 to 103 gives a step-by-step on building up and tapering the body. It is the best instruction I've found yet on how to do it.

"“The longer you live, the more you look around, the more you realize something is f****d up.” - George Carlin

#49 Sgart

Sgart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Jan 28 2005, 01:23 AM)
In Michael Radencich's book, pages 95 to 103 gives a step-by-step on building up and tapering the body. It is the best instruction I've found yet on how to do it.

To those of us who dont have that book. Can you please explain short what he do? sad.gif
<span style='color:blue'>I did it my way!</span>

#50 TroutBum

TroutBum

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,185 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:23 AM

It isn't easy to explain the technique. Basically, you use 2 strands of white floss to build an underbody by first binding down two layers of floss on the bottom of the hook. Then wrapping the remaining floss. It is kind of involved and you have to see the tutorial. Sorry I can't be more specific.

#51 Sgart

Sgart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (TroutBum @ Feb 27 2005, 02:23 AM)
It isn't easy to explain the technique. Basically, you use 2 strands of white floss to build an underbody by first binding down two layers of floss on the bottom of the hook. Then wrapping the remaining floss. It is kind of involved and you have to see the tutorial. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I have tried it now and it works splendid.

There is a visable tut. at http://www.feathersm...icles.php?ID=22
<span style='color:blue'>I did it my way!</span>

#52 Inconnu

Inconnu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 May 2005 - 05:01 PM

For what it is worth, I have always dampened my fingers when using normal floss. I don't use all four strands, if I want a bulky body (on the fly, I have one of my own already) I start behind the eye, then go down and back. The moistened fingers seem to be the key to stop fraying. The glove idea is cool.....err is that one glove?? smile.gif
The Order of the Odanata; exsisto bonus ut invicem

#53 ratfacedmcdougal

ratfacedmcdougal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:42 AM

Thanks Trout for a great article which taught me a couple of tricks on floss tying. Iv'e been tying for 15 years and have done some shows etc in the past. But I never could get to the true artwork stage of a fly. Growing up in florida I learned by buying an old eric leiser fly tying kit which was moldering in a fishing store and it wasn't until years later that I got to see a fly made by someone else in person. And longer still before I got to see someone else tie one.
Floss on salmon flies and the sides laying flush with the wing are two problems iv'e always had. Tips like you provided are invaluble.

#54 MiSt

MiSt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 11:59 AM

Here is my example of a body made of Uni-Strech. The pic is tiny bit blurry due to cutting down the size etc. I like the Uni-Strech too! Great stuff!

IPB Image

#55 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 August 2006 - 03:26 PM

Hey steeldrifter i was a mechanic on cars and heavy equipment for years what i found was i used keri lotion on them. Plus I sanded my fingers with a 150 grit paper where they were real bad..works great...now that i just tinker with my van i still use the lotion helps alot for those cracked fingers..emery board works for those tuff spots at the corner of your nails..
sandfly/bob

www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
Tiadaughton T.U. #688
P.C.F.F.P.&D.S. #3
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

" There's a fine Line between Sane and Insane"

Idid not escape--------They gave me a day pass !!

#56 newfie

newfie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 11:08 PM

i use embriodery(sp?) floss for flies which i am going to fish

#57 jordan

jordan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 01:22 PM

Only one strand at a time. In all cases you should avoid more than 2 layers of single strand floss. The more you use the harder it is to keep the body smooth.

#58 suskiefisher

suskiefisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:44 PM

great tutorial! What are you using for thread?

#59 Stroli

Stroli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE(suskiefisher @ Dec 5 2007, 11:44 AM) View Post

great tutorial! What are you using for thread?

TB,
Fantastic tutorial. I have been contemplating on delving into the realm of classic and artistic salmon fly tying for a while now. Any suggestions on where to begin, people to seek out for assistance etc. Been tying trout flies for almost 2 decades and am a pretty quick learner with attention to detail. Anyone offer classes? Thanks
Stroli
Sleep when your dead....

#60 Pam Crossley

Pam Crossley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2008 - 02:02 PM

Hi

I have supplied fine floss silk to several anglers recently who have been delighted with the product which comes in 80metre kops, single strand, which can be used doubled or trebled if preferred; with a range of 41 brilliant colours.

Interested, then please do contact me for further details, or look at our website 'www.fritillary.co.uk'

Pam Crossley