#1 BSH

BSH

Bogdan Shivrinskiy St.Petersburg, Russia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

Hi,

Here is my latest tie Green Parson from Malone's book. Actually, the initial idea was to tie it on one of vintage hooks, which in good numbers and sizes I have purchased some time ago. But, how the mailing service is working is out of my understanding... over 1 month 5 packages from various parts of the world are hanging in the middle of nowhere and I have no particular info when they will arrive. So I took Mustad Limerick 1928A size 1/0 bronzed with an eye, I like this hook with hollow point despite it is made ex fine wire.
I managed to do short S-B-S here of how I do mixed wings on my latest Irish flies. As I mentioned earlier the way I do it is a fusion of several techniques. There was already time ago very nice tutorial from Long Nguyen of how he was doing his nice mixed wings. My way is partly based on Long's tutorial, but on some stage I'm combing the sandwich of strips. This is not exactly how Rogan was doing it and I do it with different comb, but I found this way is quite easy to do and the result is more or less fine. I do agree that photos are better than thousands words, so here it is.

Green Parson wingless, waiting for some wing:
Attached File  00 - Green Parson is waiting for winging.jpg   66.25K   783 downloads

1. Took strips of prescribed feathers. Have to make a note, that largest tippets are required with longest strands as they have to be almost as long as the wing. Sometimes it is difficult to find even for size 1/0.
I'm using for near wing the strips taken from the right side of feather and for far side of the wing - from the left side of feather. I suggest, that natural curve provides more pleasant shape of the whole wing and it will be easier to manage the wing shape once it is mounted. Apparently, you will find that many feathers with thicker fibers have opposite curve (amherst, GP tail). In this case I usually rearranging the fibers, because inside of same side of the wing all the fibers should be taken from the same side of feather, otherwise they will not grip to each other. As I'm tying on not a big size I like to use goose shoulders as subs for prescribed swan and not turkey. Goose fibers are thin and very soft, which adds mobility to the wing once the fly dropped into the water. On the photo left set is for far wing, right set is for near wing (they are just laying on the table with business side down). Each strip is of 10 fibers, which I suppose good start for this size a hook. On a later stage, when your wing turns low while tying, you can add another set on top of previous.
Attached File  01 - slips for the wing.jpg   62.8K   959 downloads

2. I assembled strips side by side (respectively) to each other with all their tips aligned. I suspect it is not a problem if tippet fibers will be just couple of millimeters shorter than the rest. But, you have to make sure all of the butts are to be well secured by the thread while mounting the wing. The order of strips in the "sandwich" actually does not matter as it is supposed to be mixed, however I like tippet strands to be put inside and in case many natural feathers are used I just mix them equally with dyed.
Attached File  02 - sandwich!!!.jpg   56.14K   897 downloads

Top view of "sandwich":
Attached File  03 - sandwich top view.jpg   63.15K   861 downloads

3. Now I have both sandwiches assembled and here is my comb he-he... Have to say I'm using this old baby toothbrush with cut/shortened fibers for many applications (body and throat hackles make up, etc) as well as for combing the wing. Note, that the tie-in point must be not closer towards the butts than the shortest fibers of tippet, otherwise you will comb/take them out on a later stage.
Attached File  04 - both sandwiches are ready for combing.jpg   59.78K   891 downloads

4. Grip firmly the tips of the strips and comb them with movements towards their butts.
Attached File  05 - combing one side.jpg   57.47K   925 downloads

5. Got this kind of a fan... looks terrible, isn't it? Note how the barbs are standing out from the fiber stems.
Attached File  06 - fan after combing.jpg   98.33K   955 downloads

6. Switching grip to the butts and make the same operation for the remaining parts combing them towards tips. You can continue to comb as long as you wish until you find the fibers are well mixed. Have to say in my particular example not all the fibers are evenly mixed. That's how one side is looking on mine. Continue all the same operations for far wing.
Attached File  07 - combed side of the wing.jpg   65.82K   972 downloads

7. After both sides are well combed and all the tips are aligned with some humping of the fibers I just put them together side by side. It is possible to secure them on the hook one at a time, but I do both sides together.
Attached File  08 - both sides back to back, firm grip is essential!.jpg   82.7K   1004 downloads

8. Now the mixer is secured on the hook. It is extremely important, that all the butts are really well pressed under the thread by nail. Some saliva on the tie-in area of the wing helps to soften them and to do this properly. Ahhh... the shape is not what we would like to see, right?
Attached File  09 - wing mounted... crazy!!!.jpg   96.17K   1036 downloads

9. Made some more combs to make the fibers straight.... now it's a real FAN!
Attached File  10 - brushed again ... more crazy!!!.jpg   92.2K   1035 downloads

10. But, some management (turning, humping, etc) will get the fibers to grip to each other in a pencil shape. But, this is not, what I was opted for.
Attached File  11 - wing managed to pencil look ... looking not too bad!.jpg   75.73K   1048 downloads

11. I'm adding additional strips of tippet to the sides of the wing. I like to add a bit more natural color into the wing. Okay, it is bright, but still natural not like dyed goose. Just slightly shorter than the rest of the fibres, IMHO not a problem - see further.
Attached File  12 - more tippet slips added to the sides.jpg   77.38K   1044 downloads

12. Combing tippet fibers and get them be gripped in the wing. It's very easy to achieve. Now the wing is looking much better, but not perfect anyway.
Attached File  13 - some more management... and tippets sides melted into the wing.jpg   77.65K   1057 downloads

Top view just to show the wing is not pencil or round shaped, but more or less flat:
Attached File  13a - view from top... not a pencil anymore.jpg   59.79K   1046 downloads

13. Adding on the sides of the wing slips of pintail. Same as with main components from right side of feather to near wing and from left side to far wing. Some strokes with pressure makes pintail sides merged into the wing.
Attached File  14 - pintail added to the sides.jpg   85.66K   1016 downloads

14. Selecting first set of mallard strips. Application from sides is still same. Have to point here, that taking mallard strip from right side of feather and tying it in near side of the wing helps to keep the natural curve as well as to keep all the wing fibers under control so to say.
Attached File  15 - first set of mallard slips.jpg   77.08K   1036 downloads

I want mallard is to be almost of same length as a wing:
Attached File  16 - first set of mallard slips added.jpg   78.7K   1101 downloads

15. Second set of mallard strips to cover already installed. I like two sets, it's just keeping everything firmly much better and giving more distinctive natural color to the wing. As a note here, as you see I cut the strips from the stem. I just pressing butts at tie-in point with wet fingers. This makes them to stay more narrow at this area and helps while securing by waxed thread.
Attached File  17 - second set of mallard slips ... note the butts shape.jpg   87.35K   1147 downloads

Second set of mallard secured and slightly broken by fingers at the tips. Now this wing looks different!
Attached File  18 - second set of mallard slips added and slightly broken at the tips.jpg   87.51K   1198 downloads

Top view of the wing before attaching topping:
Attached File  19 - front view before topping is added.jpg   59.69K   1148 downloads

16. It is crucial to have many toppings ready for the job. It's best what you can do to spend one evening to sort the toppings, soak them well.... maybe overnight if they are heavily twisted (but this is not always helps unfortunately) and put them on a flat glass surface for complete drying. Advantage of this method is that you can make many desired shapes for various applications... curved, straight etc. This is possible to do even for certain flies, which you want to cover with some particular shape of topping. Which one to use, ahhh... they are all looking slightly long to me, but I will try to manage.
Attached File  20 - choosing the topping... quess which I take.jpg   69.47K   1207 downloads

17. After topping selected, sized and mounted... finishing the fly.

Green Parson completed:

Attached File  Green Parson resized.jpg   102.3K   1083 downloads

Hope, this all may help to understand it is not that difficult to do the mixed wing and this is one of the ways to achieve it.

----
PS... big thanks to my daughter, who provided me with her new camera received for her 8th Birthday today from her parents (wink). I can do hundred times better photos with her 130 bucks compact camera, than with my more expensive and bigger one... think about it before you look for a new camera.

Cheers,
Bogdan Shivrinskiy

www.facebook.com/b.shivrinskiy

#2 whiskeyjin

whiskeyjin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,257 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Hi Bogdan

This is excellent SBS !!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing for us .

Regards

Jin

#3 dave08

dave08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

looks great and thanks Bogdan,this sounds like a farely easy method.although i'm sure it will take some practice to make wings close to yours

David Elzea

#4 flifiklaus

flifiklaus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

wonderful job and thanks for this Bogdan !

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Classic Salmon Flies

https://www.facebook.com/klaus.woggon

#5 phil j

phil j

preston , lancs, uk.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

brilliant sbs bogdan  cracking fly too really informative  thanks for doing this

phil

#6 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,309 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:00 PM

Tremendous work Bogdan, a real tour-de-force.

#7 Vytas

Vytas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Excellent fly and superb job on SBS ! great stuff, Bogdan. Thank you !

#8 lukas

lukas

John Taylor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Great going like the fly like the sbs

John

Lets fish the Clyde

#9 Luc

Luc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 623 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thank you for the very informative post Bogdan !

#10 @ndrey k

@ndrey k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

Bogdan,
thank you very much for your time and for sharing your knowledge!!!

With best regards,
Andrey Krasota

#11 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,899 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:02 AM

Fantastic fly and tutorial Bogdan!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#12 BCBound

BCBound

Scott Norris, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:35 AM

Great work Bogdan. Wonderful SBS and such a great looking fly.

Thanks,

Scott.
Scott Norris

The sunken pool is nice and cool....

#13 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,466 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Dear BOGDAN,

Absolutly brilliant what YOU did yesterday evening (yes I still had the chance to gift Your input a 'look' before I switched off my computer !!!)

I am sure one of the moderators will put this in the 'tutorial section'...A MUST doing !!! and I am sure THEY WILL !!!

YOU have my fullest respect !!! and what YOU show is CLASS !!!

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCHHHHHHHHHHHH MY FRIEND !!!

Geert

PS  and be assured that I will try out Your method in the forthcoming months !!! (euh at least once !!! or twice !!! hahahahaha...even I can't assure YOU it will be on my 'first' mixer ...but I will do my best !!! wink !.   YOUR way of doing 'mixers' is indeed a 'mix' of this method and that method...and Your own way of doing them...and that's a WONDERFUL thing...in 'our' flytying !!!............................and besides Your way of doing 'mixers' is gifting fantastic results !!! so why not !

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#14 Nice One

Nice One

Sven Axelsson

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

Very nice SBS and fly, will def try this way some day .Thanx Bogdan

ATB

Sven

#15 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Bogdan...thank you for taking the time and effort to share your Wisdom and Craftsmanship for the members!

Very very Helpful step by step!

Thanks again!

Dave

#16 yoke

yoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:48 PM

Great job, Bogdan!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!

#17 Oleg-x

Oleg-x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

Great!!!!!

Thank you Bogdan!

#18 SC Fly Tyer

SC Fly Tyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:40 PM

Beautiful fly and fantastic tutorial! Thanks.

#19 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,728 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Bogdan - Much, much appreciated!

#20 S FONTINALIS

S FONTINALIS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:12 AM

Many thanks Bogdan. that is a great SBS!, now, how did you finish that head so neatly?!?!wink.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Irish fly