#41 BSH

BSH

Bogdan Shivrinskiy St.Petersburg, Russia

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:18 AM

Dear Jeff,

Thanks a lot for terrific s-b-s!!! The way you've shown the tying process leads me to start tying classic flies in the nearest future ........ rolleyes.gif

Cheers,
Bogdan Shivrinskiy

www.facebook.com/b.shivrinskiy

#42 slowpoke

slowpoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

Jeff
Thank you for sharing the first chapter of your new book on tying the classics made easy. When you do publish your book,I woud very much like to purchase a signed copy.
All the best
Joe
SELF PROCLAIMED SLACKER KING

#43 nsvalley

nsvalley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:35 PM

QUOTE (Jeff Dickey @ Dec 23 2010, 05:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello all! This pattern is the Mclain, a fly I made up for a project that got interrupted this summer and I am finishing now. The last time I posted it on a 4/0 Phillips Jones, this time on a 4/0 Harrison Hollow Point (Lucas, natch). There are a lot of newcomers to the forum, and myself and others are quick to reccommend Mike R's book for instruction, but not everyone may have access to it. I was feeling froggy and just got a new camera so I thought I would do a complete step by step and put notes on the pictures, in the hopes that it might answer some questions. I did not go through some things (like how to marry and mount a wing) that are already in pinned topics, but there is still a lot of information here (useful or not is up to you smile.gif).

This is not the only way to do things, just the way I do it, but hopefully this helps someone out. Feel free to comment or critique on the techniques - I am always learning and would love other perspectives. Lot of pictures - Originally about 100, but I combined them to make this easier to post. I also included pictures of some mistakes I made and redid, both to emphasize that it is better to re-do than continue if it doesn't look right and to give a comparison of what looks right and wrong to me. I also kept the pictures relatively small so they shouldn't take to long to open on any browser. Hope you like it!

So there it is, if anyone got this far. Pretty happy with the finished fly - would have liked to find a better hackle with a badger stripe (this came from a badger saddle, but this feather didn't have any black, it was just a good shape). Should have put another turn of blue at the throat. Could have done a better job cementing the head. I put less hump than normal (for me) in the wing to try and mirror the bend of the hook. Happy with that. I like the tail, again I think it compliments the bend of the hook well. Hopefully this demonstrated some techniques in an understandable fashion.

Merry Christmas!

-Jeff

tks greatly ... this is a magnificent example to all of the artistry that goes into each and every classic fly

#44 Maks

Maks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

Thanks a lot for good tutition and pictures. I'm just beginner, even worse. But starting slovly to tie salmon classics.

Greetings from Ukraine!!!

#45 Flyfishaholic

Flyfishaholic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 03:59 PM

Hi Jeff
Im brand new to this forum, this is my first post in fact. I'm not sure if you're answering on this thread as it is a few years old now. I'm new to classic tying, i have been tying for my stillwater fishing for close to 20 years now, and have wanted to "take it to the next level" now for quite some time. I've bought a couple Mike R. Books now and have been messing around with techniques for a few months now (i'm very new to this). The fly in this tutorial is AMAZING! I have 1question, (actually way more than 1, but I'll go step at a time here). I've attached a pic of a fly I just tied. Please excuse the tie, as mentioned I'm new and this is a practice fly for tags and married wings. The proportions are all out of wack etc, etc.

In your mounting of the married wing, you have the "hump" on the lower edge of the wing. You mention that is is shallower on this tie, to follow the curve in the hook. If you notice on my fly, the lower edge is completely straight. No matter how much I try, I can't get a curve into the lower edge. How do you accomplish this? Any critiques at all that you have on my pic would be much appreciated.

I notice there is a mentoring program on this forum. If it is still up and running, I would love to be a part of it.

Thanks for taking the time to post this tutorial
Best Regards
Brian H

Attached Files

#46 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:05 AM

This might be a bit late, but is there a recipe for this fly?  Also is there a more detailed SBS on building the wing?

Barry

#47 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:28 PM

Barry.  He names all the materials in the SBS, except the wing.  That is light natural turkey, dyed turkey, golden pheasant tail and bronze mallard as a roof.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#48 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:35 PM

As I was walking away from the computer to go back to work, I realized I had failed to mention the bustard in the wing....

Darwin award winner of flytying

#49 flyryan

flyryan

Ryan Houston

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 04:52 PM

great sbs Jeff

Ryan Houston

to see the rest of the flies i have tied just visit  facebook page and browse my photos or galleries

https://www.facebook.com/Classic-FLIES-A-Z-766762363375794/

https://youtu.be/g8qFgPJD00c

https://www.facebook.com/RyanHoustonSalmonTroutAndPikeFlies?ref=hl