45 replies to this topic

#41 mzilliox

mzilliox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I exploded about 6 wings last night on one fly, trying to tie a married wing over my underwing.  I think i was trying to tie right on top instead of to either side as you mention, however, I am having trouble visualizing how to tie them on the sides while still keeping proper compression?  I was getting confident just tying down strip and married wings onto nothing.  tying when something is in the way leads to leaning wings, but more often, my wing tops busting off.

#42 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

Actually the underwing slips inside the main wing. When you mount the main wing hold it by the very top of the wing and it should tent open for you. Slide the underwing in between the two slips of the main wing and strap it on.

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#43 Robert Verkerk

Robert Verkerk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

It would be easier to get advice if you would post a picture of your fly with just the underwing and with the married wing on top of it.

#44 angler andrew

angler andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:32 PM

Actually the underwing slips inside the main wing. When you mount the main wing hold it by the very top of the wing and it should tent open for you. Slide the underwing in between the two slips of the main wing and strap it on.

Can't say I've ever heard of this way Jim,not to say its never been done but one only has to look at hale,Kelson ect to know the underwing is tied on before the main wing and this is for white tip ect there's a myriad of other patterns that call for slips,bundles of stuff tied in first also.Dave Carne once told me to stay way clear of turkey underwings until I had plenty of flies under my belt as they are one of the harder things to do for sure.
another possible inductee into the slackers club

#45 Jim_Montgomery

Jim_Montgomery

Vero Beach, FL USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Andrew - Yes it is. This was assuming that the underwing was tied on already !

Phlies and Photos
The Ninja Fly Tier

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

#46 angler andrew

angler andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Andrew - Yes it is. This was assuming that the underwing was tied on already !

Oh I get you
another possible inductee into the slackers club