45 replies to this topic

#21 BobE

BobE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:10 AM

Great tutorial, Bud, thanks for the detailed description. Maybe one of these days I'll be doing it in my sleep too, instead of having night mares about it laugh.gif

#22 Chappy_

Chappy_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 03:15 PM

And to think I used the thread for all of the compression. How silly of me not to think about compressing it with the highest strength and most precise tools I own, my fingers. Duh!!

Thanks Bud - It is amazing how when we are trying to follow instructions written by the masters, we might overlook the obvious.

No more relying on the "Hope" that 0.25" of compression distance of the thread to make the wings work. I figure I will go from 20% converting a good wing to at least 80%.

Nice.

#23 Aileen Ellis

Aileen Ellis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 02:25 PM

Thank you for posting this Bud. I am taking notes....lots of notes.
I'm addicted to fly-tying...road kill will never be the same.

#24 GrnDrake

GrnDrake

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:31 AM

Thanks Bud for posting your tutorial. I would have posted this sooner but I got side tracked looking at your "Fly Box" biggrin.gif. Your Patterns are incredible! I really enjoyed your article in the last Hatches Magazine. Once again, thanks for sharing your knowledge and keep up the great work!

Dave and Amelia Jensen's fantastic website http://www.reddeerriver.com/ My home waters, some great videos of massive Browns. Take a peek.

#25 Cade

Cade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:25 AM

bud this is yet another great tutorial............ smile.gif

thanks for posting it
Cade Guidry

#26 Big Jim Caddis

Big Jim Caddis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

Thanks Bud, great tutorial

#27 gucumatz

gucumatz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Bud Guidry @ Jan 31 2008, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
theres been so many people asking me how i tie on a married wing as of late, so heres the deal, i'm going to go now and try to do a tutorial on this with pictures, it shouldn't take more than an hour. i'll take real close up shots on finger postition and thread position so be back in a few with possibly some questions answered and help for some of you who have asked.

Bud

Hi Bud, I'm from México and a like tie salmon flies, but a have a problem whit the married wings, they ever turn to any side or blend overself what I can do?
I try like your advice but ever blend, I colocate my fingers like the photo, some is wrong in my tying, check this picture

thanks Bud

#28 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 03:38 PM

responded by Pm

Bud

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#29 Yuri

Yuri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 02:46 AM

Thank you so much Bud Guidry ! Great tutoria !

#30 hairyjoe123

hairyjoe123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 08:31 PM

I have been wondering what a maried wing was. I didn't know that what I was already trying to do had a name. I don't tie for art or fishing most of the time. I usually just tie to relax and learn for when I do finely get out to water. That was a great tutorial I must admit. I may have already been doing it; but I wasn't doing it well. I am going to start reworking my "married wings" today.

What material are those black rings on the body? Is it ostrich feather? I resently became aware of classic fly tying. Don't know alot of techniques or names of techniques. I mostly just stumble through my experiments.

Great job!
CHEERS!!!
Hook, set, cook!

#31 fly tyer 27

fly tyer 27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

QUOTE (hairyjoe123 @ Jan 5 2011, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have been wondering what a maried wing was. I didn't know that what I was already trying to do had a name. I don't tie for art or fishing most of the time. I usually just tie to relax and learn for when I do finely get out to water. That was a great tutorial I must admit. I may have already been doing it; but I wasn't doing it well. I am going to start reworking my "married wings" today.

What material are those black rings on the body? Is it ostrich feather? I resently became aware of classic fly tying. Don't know alot of techniques or names of techniques. I mostly just stumble through my experiments.

Great job!
CHEERS!!!

if you are talking about the black fuzzy things, yes it is ostrich herl
ya know yer a redneck if ya bring a fishin pole into seaworld

ya know yer a redneck if da center piece on yer kitchen table is
made by a taxadermist

gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty

#32 Vytas

Vytas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 08:54 PM

Thank you

#33 steelheadr

steelheadr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (gucumatz @ Mar 10 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Bud, I'm from México and a like tie salmon flies, but a have a problem whit the married wings, they ever turn to any side or blend overself what I can do?
I try like your advice but ever blend, I colocate my fingers like the photo, some is wrong in my tying, check this picture

Bud,
I'd be interested in your reply to this image, since mine turn out like that much of the time.
thx!

#34 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

steelheadr, did i send you a PM?

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#35 steelheadr

steelheadr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:28 PM

QUOTE (Bud Guidry @ Mar 31 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
steelheadr, did i send you a PM?

yes you did - thx very much. I still haven't got it all figured out, but wings are getting better... Just keep practicing I guess.

#36 slowpoke

slowpoke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 06:33 PM

Bud,
Usually, there is an under wing to contend with. would this not affect the tying in of the maine wing.
good or bad? Just a thought.
Joe
SELF PROCLAIMED SLACKER KING

#37 Cole Madden

Cole Madden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 689 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:12 PM

QUOTE (slowpoke @ Apr 3 2011, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bud,
Usually, there is an under wing to contend with. would this not affect the tying in of the maine wing.
good or bad? Just a thought.
Joe

That is what usually gives me trouble. I have been having a hard time getting the main wing to sit right on top of the hook with the underwing there, lately. Tippet underwings seem to be especially tricky.

Cole.

#38 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,245 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 02:08 AM

heres the solution, two ways, first, thread control. pay attention that you don't build a bump ahead of the tie in point at the head. the underwing creates a hump there you have to overcome. the second solution is wrapping a few wraps of thread to level off the tiny space right forward of where you tied in your underwing. the trick i use is holding the main wings higher up on the shoulder of the wing. speading the tips of your fingers a tad, this allows the wings to open below, once your ready to position your wing carefully mount it so each side falls along each side of the underwing then you can apply preasure to the main wing with your finger tips, this action closes the main wing over the outsides of your underwing, you can then keep applying preasure to the wing as you make those first few wraps. i'll have to do a visual tutorial with pics to show you guys what i'm talking about. don't try to tie in the main wing directly above the underwing, you need to tie it in along each side

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

#39 angler andrew

angler andrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 03:17 AM

Well ive tried just about every method but this one Bud is what ive had the most sucsess with as i just feel like ive got more control this way and i dont as much wing slippage either doing it this way,id be interested to know if you or anyone uses their middle or index finger of the Bobbin hand as a Keel to help keep the wing up straight and from rolling over as it really works well ive found with this method.

andrew,
another possible inductee into the slackers club

#40 old fart

old fart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

BRAVE MAN
Great series of pics,congratulations.