6 replies to this topic

#1 leighs52

leighs52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:47 AM

Did I miss something? Mike Connor's wonderful material was being hosted on this here website when last I looked. Now it's gone. Did I fall asleep and miss something. I know Mike has felt misused on some other sites, but was hoping he had found a safe home here.
Leigh

#2 Trad

Trad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE(leighs52 @ Mar 21 2008, 08:47 PM) View Post

Did I miss something? Mike Connor's wonderful material was being hosted on this here website when last I looked. Now it's gone. Did I fall asleep and miss something. I know Mike has felt misused on some other sites, but was hoping he had found a safe home here.
Leigh

Hi Leigh,

no you didnīt miss anything, I had some problems transferring files, ( most likely due to net congestion) the last time on Wednesday, and broke the website index completely. It was taking a very long time to transfer even small changes, often most of the night. I am unable to fix it right now, ( maybe itīs not even fixable! The backups also seem to have the same problem. This may also be due to software limitations), and the website just didnīt work any more. This is often a problem when using remote servers in other countries

I will have to rebuild the site, which will take quite a while, and so I asked Will to cancel the FTP account, which only ties up his resources.

There are a couple of free providers operating here now, so I am going to try a new CMS system on a local free provider I found. It was becoming more and more difficult to manage the old static HTML site anyway, the site has too many very large pages, and there were also image compression problems. This means that even small changes, like correcting typos etc, was taking hours to accomplish.

Have to see how things go.

Regards and tight lines!

Mike

#3 leighs52

leighs52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:03 AM

Just glad to hear you are working on it, Mike, and not going away mad. If you wonder why so many people downloaded your entire old web site back before you joined FTF, now you know why. As with many internet resources, they can be gone in a flash. I have to admit I wish I'd downloaded yours. Think I'm going to download all of Han's site one of these days, so it doesn't vanish into the ether and another great resource is gone. There is something about the printed page that, although old-fashioned and fixed in time, is very comforting. Unless you have a fire, you've got it essentially forever.
Your fans hope you'll get back up on the web one of these days.
Leigh

#4 Trad

Trad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(leighs52 @ Mar 21 2008, 10:03 PM) View Post

Just glad to hear you are working on it, Mike, and not going away mad. If you wonder why so many people downloaded your entire old web site back before you joined FTF, now you know why. As with many internet resources, they can be gone in a flash. I have to admit I wish I'd downloaded yours. Think I'm going to download all of Han's site one of these days, so it doesn't vanish into the ether and another great resource is gone. There is something about the printed page that, although old-fashioned and fixed in time, is very comforting. Unless you have a fire, you've got it essentially forever.
Your fans hope you'll get back up on the web one of these days.
Leigh

Certainly not! I am very grateful to Will for hosting it, this allowed a lot of people to download the info they wanted.

I have no idea how long it will take to rebuild it. The index on my local machine is also useless. I am pretty sure now that this is also due to software limitations. I have just tried to re-compile the site again today, and it breaks off after about six hours or so with various warnings, and the index does not work, which makes it fairly useless!

Add these problems to the problems which occur anyway when transferring that amount of data to a remote server, and the whole thing becomes impossible to manage.

Hopefully the new system will obviate many such problems. Have to wait and see.

Other people asked about books etc, but I wonīt be trying to make a book of it, it would probably take years, even if I managed it.

Regards and tight lines!

Mike

#5 Snowmass Angler

Snowmass Angler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 12:57 PM

leighs52, what is "Han's" site? I'm always on the lookout for new ones...
SB

#6 leighs52

leighs52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 02:58 PM

Sent you a PM. For anyone else who hasn't been there, Hans Weilenmann's site is
Hans' website
A fantastic resource, though not focused on classic patterns (though there are certainly some there).
Leigh

#7 t.z.

t.z.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

in my search for Mike Connor I found this forum. I had visited him frequently while I still was living in Germany, but lost contact in 2008 when I moved to Scandinavia. Anybody aware of Mike's whereabouts?

Cheers,

Thomas