26 replies to this topic

#21 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Thanks Bud!....I've been doing it your way ever since you posted it in the tutorials a couple of years ago..it work great for the Looooong irons of my streamers too!

#22 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,395 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 02:35 AM

Charlie, I don't fish my flies often but those I have fished (highlanders and speys) have never ever had a gut pull , I've taken likely over 100 redfish with flies I have tied this way. my biggest redfish was 32 pounds and the gut held very well. and I had to chase the fish and. dug it out a mudhole after a 120 yard run and couldn't stop it. mahi mahi in the 15 to 20 pound range, claimed to be the fastest fish in the ocean.  redfish not as strong as salmon?  get a 32 pound red on a 7 weight rod and see what happens. better have a couple hundred yards of backing behind your fly line. and a good second man push poling to chase him down

grab a few flies and come on down, I have rods, i'll show you the time of your life, infact you'll get tied of catching fish ole boy.  i'll even let you use a few of my short gutted flies to givem a go. just had two friends from southern Wisconsin spend a week here fishing with me. I can give you their phone numbers if you'd like to verify what my flies can do on redfish

to answer your question why?  with great respect,  because it works

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#23 Swill Gordon -1

Swill Gordon -1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 25 April 2014 - 12:35 PM

One concession to tradition on my flies has always been to add a drop of CA to the legs of the silk gut.  Does not add any substantial bulk, and on the off chance that a wall hanger ends up getting fished I think the additional strength might keep those short gut loops from pulling off of the fly.

Swill

Dave White aka "Swill Gordon"

Stay Thirsty, My Friends...

#24 lucaseabass

lucaseabass

Luca Montanari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 863 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 06:25 PM

Hi Bud, after some months I am tying a new classic salmon fly and to realize the underbody I put in practice the technique described by you. It works better then my previous one and it lets me to realize e better tag!

Thanks

Luca

#25 copcheck

copcheck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:01 PM

With you guys on the underbodies Bud's way.

This way is working the best for me, even down to the thread Bud uses.

I feel this is one step of the process I can produce with confidence now.

#26 Julian NB

Julian NB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:39 PM

Very cool sbs Bud i will try it on one of my next flies!

#27 Downdaline

Downdaline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for the sbs will try this technique. Till now have used floss per Mike Radenich in 20 Salmon Flies to build up underbody and fill underside gap between gut and hook shank.