22 replies to this topic

#21 Ciel Bleu

Ciel Bleu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Jeff Dickey @ Jan 18 2011, 09:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are lots of head cements out there; any that offer a "thin" and "thick" version, the thin works. For the thick, I like "Hard as Hull", but there are plenty out there. The more I do this, the more I am convinced it is more about how and how much you put on, especially with thick cement, than the particular brand. I honestly don't know what my thin brand is, I have had it for at least 10 years.

-Jeff

I should have been more specific. I am using most of the time Veniard "cellire" varnish as thin "cement". But I don't know what thick material is "compatible" with it. I've read some are using epoxy. Any other suggestion ?

Thanks,

Ciel Bleu

#22 Jeff Dickey

Jeff Dickey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,775 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:00 PM

QUOTE (Ciel Bleu @ Jan 19 2011, 01:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I should have been more specific. I am using most of the time Veniard "cellire" varnish as thin "cement". But I don't know what thick material is "compatible" with it. I've read some are using epoxy. Any other suggestion ?

Thanks,

Ciel Bleu

I have never messed with epoxy. I have stacked many different types of laquers on each other and never had a problem as long as the are clear or black. I avoid the black in most cases because it is too easy to mess up the fly. My thin is "Griffs" but I suspect anything will do. The only reason I reccommend thin and then thick is that the thin absorbs well, but it takes 50 coats or so to really smooth the head, where the thick takes two. If you can get by on what you have with three or four coats, I wouldn;t bother using two kinds.

-Jeff

#23 gumbo

gumbo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:10 AM

QUOTE (Jeff Dickey @ Jan 18 2011, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are lots of head cements out there; any that offer a "thin" and "thick" version, the thin works. For the thick, I like "Hard as Hull", but there are plenty out there. The more I do this, the more I am convinced it is more about how and how much you put on, especially with thick cement, than the particular brand. I honestly don't know what my thin brand is, I have had it for at least 10 years.

-Jeff

I have been using Griff's Thin and Griff's Thick for about 10 years now. They are made from the same stuff, so they are compatible, and it is water clear, and dries relatively quickly.

I soak the thin into the head threads and let it sit for about 1/2 hour, then apply a second coat. If it still look fairly porus after an hour, then I give it a third coat, and after another hour I give it the first coat of thick. If you don't get it sealed well with the thin, then when you apply the thick, you might get a few little bubbles, which you do not want. Let the thick dry for 1/2 hour, then give it another coat. Let this dry for an hour or 2 then look at it. If it is not glassy smooth, give it a third coat. Let it all dry overnight, then take another look. It should look like a little drop of glass. If it doesn't, then you just did a lousy job of tying your head to begin with.