5 replies to this topic

#1 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 09:29 PM

Some of you may find this blog post of interest:  http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-logie.html

Gary

#2 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 10:14 PM

Nice Gary, I havent tied one for a while so maybe tomorrow. Will let you know how I make out 

#3 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 06:36 AM

Always interesting to look at vintage and antique flies. Look at the long bodied, low water style, as opposed to the extremely long Norwegian version. I think I understand what they were trying to do with those Norsk Lures, but fishing flies like that is forbidden in most rivers these days. Any lure can only have one hook, is the general rule.

At the time of those Hardy and PT flies, there was a general hype around short takes, which made a fashion out of tying ordinary patterns on long shanked hooks, with a large bit of bare shank behind the tip, hoping that short taking salmon would get hooked. Remarkably, this is why low water patterns are dressed like that, too, although low water flies are dressed on small hooks. In my opinion, tying big flies this way makes no sense at all, because a short take suggests a shy fish. What you need with shy fish, is speed. I have found the solution in using smaller flies on doubles. A very cool trick is to switch to a size 10 March Brown when you get a short take on a bigger fly, presenting it the same way you did the big one, and speeding it up as much as possible.

I think that, in our time, fishermen have forgotten the power of smaller flies. Here in Norway, you see guys pack up and go home when the tubes don't take.

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#4 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 02:36 PM

Good thoughts, Robert.  In my earliest salmon fishing days, I was taught to downsize the fly when a fish shows interest but doesn't take.  I and my partner Bridget have taken many fish on size 10 flies.

Stephen, where's your Logie's???

Gary

#5 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 01:55 AM

Almost done buddy. I have a couple more if I can figure out how to work the wifeys phone

Stephen

#6 mfhughesjr

mfhughesjr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:00 PM

Thanks for the interesting article!  Looking forward to more time to go through your blog.

Michael