11 replies to this topic

#1 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:13 PM

I have watched several tyers select loose crests from containers that are labeled by size - tails, 2cm, 3cm, etc.  My question is, what size gradation do you find useful to file your crests?  Do you store crests in a range like 3-4 cm?  Any useful tips on boxes you use to store your crests?

Mark

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 07:54 AM

If you go by the range of hook sizes you use & a few extra's for tails etc, vitually any multi-section type storage box should see you okay.

#3 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:57 AM

I agree with Arkle on this. The only thing I'll add is I try to separate the feathers based on sharpness or lack of same as far as curvature is concerned.

Be sure to use the soft plastic boxes..many of which have removable dividers allowing for various sized compartments to accommodate your needs...and they are impervious to moth balls.

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#4 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:47 PM

Thanks George & Arkle!  I have about 30 odd heads that need plucking, washing and sorting.  Storing by hook size doesn't really work for me since a 3/0 Jock Scott is much shorter than a 3/0 Playfair Limerick.  Do you think storing crests with 1 cm gradatation - ie, 3 cm, 4cm, 5cm etc necessary instead of 3-4 cm, 4-5 cm, etc.   

Mark

#5 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 05:22 PM

Mark,

I just eyeball my crests and store them together that way. When tying a fly I open the box, try this and that until I find what I need. Having a bit of a casual approach to all of this is probably why I do it that way...but it works and I can always find what seems to do the job.rolleyes.gif

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#6 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:37 AM

Sorted crests

Attached Files

Darwin award winner of flytying

#7 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 01 May 2019 - 07:58 AM

It turns out you can't really sort them all that finely.  How do you measure; with rachis flattened?  With  whatever arc you have put in the rachis?  The "length" will vary if you measure with arc applied, but different arcs will yield different lengths from the same overall rachis length.  So,  a range of rachis lengths in five or six compartments works pretty well.  I then sort some for marked rachis curve and some with a shallow curve in different lengths.  Most of the feathers in my larger compartment are those that I played with the rachis curve, then decided not to use at the time I made the modification.

Another thing to consider is whether you intend to use the entire length of the feather right down to the quill end or if a feather that is apparently too long will work better than a full length feather when shortened some.  It is pretty much impossible to sort for this consideration.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#8 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 03:11 PM

It turns out you can't really sort them all that finely.  How do you measure; with rachis flattened?  With  whatever arc you have put in the rachis?  The "length" will vary if you measure with arc applied, but different arcs will yield different lengths from the same overall rachis length.  So,  a range of rachis lengths in five or six compartments works pretty well.  I then sort some for marked rachis curve and some with a shallow curve in different lengths.  Most of the feathers in my larger compartment are those that I played with the rachis curve, then decided not to use at the time I made the modification.

Another thing to consider is whether you intend to use the entire length of the feather right down to the quill end or if a feather that is apparently too long will work better than a full length feather when shortened some.  It is pretty much impossible to sort for this consideration.

Thanks, Jim!  I finally decided to do more or less what you've done.  I have sorted my crests into 4 boxes with a wide gradation in each.  

#9 Zaic Freeman

Zaic Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 11:40 PM

4 sizes of topping a couple sizes of tail. Small tails for big flies are toppings for small flies.

As mentioned by George, I also take a box of formed crests pull out a few and see which I like better on the fly in the vise.

Attached File  9DA58880-C4AF-468C-AD60-C01D4B55D3FA.jpeg   145.5K   12 downloads

#10 alchemist

alchemist

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

Thanks Zaic!  I just saw a youtube video of McPhail forming crests.  I may have a go at that method....

Mark

#11 Zaic Freeman

Zaic Freeman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 05:53 PM

The jar method is perfection for fishing flies. I still use the flat glass method for the display flies.

Attached File  828AE269-8E29-4FDC-9170-943F253E7F8D.jpeg   104.91K   10 downloads

#12 JustWondering

JustWondering

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 12:40 PM

I do it differently and sort by color - deep yellow, light yellow, etc. - and I store mine in Altoid tins if I haven't shaped them in any way, or in a folded parchment envelope if I have. This is mostly for aesthetic reasons and because I am moving away from using plastic generally.