#1 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:39 AM

For Dale..

First time tying this pattern and first dries in MONTHS. Foreground size 14, one in back is a 12. Actually a semi tough little pattern, I thought. I'm giving these to someone tomorrow but am going to tie up a dozen for me-self. Hope you guys enjoy. Critiques welcome!

Attached Files

#2 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:56 AM

It's not a "Goddard" caddis, the fly, was co designed by both John Goddard & Cliff Henry & its correct name is the G & H Sedge. 

To get nearer to the original, the underside of the hackle is clipped away, The body seems pretty close, but I can't see the green or orange dubbed/wool stripe along the underside. The horns, which were always a pain, started out life as stripped hackle stems, but more often than not people omitted them, so your mod. seems to be an okay replacement, though the colour was originally light red game.

#3 TKontio

TKontio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

I always thought that if you don't put the dubbing body then it's a Goddard Caddis and if you add the green body it's the original G&H Sedge. Anyway it's a great pattern and I use it a lot, especially a parachute hackled variation which is really popular here in Finland. 

-Timo

#4 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

I didn't add any dubbing to the bottom. And the horns are stripped brown dun hackle stems. I was unfamiliar with the G&H Sedge until now.

#5 caddis16too

caddis16too

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 02:33 PM

I don't care what they are. Nice tie.

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 03:19 PM

Hi Josh,

Good for you! Thanks for tying dries and posting them. I like the little input here regarding what others think the original is - always great to hear that! Yours do look good.

I guess I like this fly tied with shorter hackle, but like all caddis imitations tied that way - so the hackle is within the gap of the hook. The bodies look very good to me - the attention to detail you show is good.

Let's see a photo of the six you tie to fish!

Dale

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#7 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

Dale, I do not "think what the original is" I know what it is.

#8 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 11 April 2015 - 08:37 PM

Arkle, I don't think Dale meant anything nefarious by his comment. It sounded like he just enjoyed the discussion, which I also enjoyed because I was un aware of the original.

Thanks for the input guys!

Dale, I agree with the shortish hackle. I'll try that on my dozen.

#9 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,458 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:22 AM

When I was dressing flies on a pro-basis, the G & H was both new to the market & in high demand.  I did 100's of them, all exactly to the pattern given in Goddard & Clarke's book - which I've since sold/given away & is called "The Trout and The Fly"   http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/the-trout-and-the-fly/author/clarke-brian-goddard-john/

The hackle length is maybe a trifle long, but not overly so, perhaps going down a size should "sort it"

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:49 PM

That is excellent info. Thanks!
Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#11 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Dear JOSH,

Only coming 'in' now and then UPHERE...

ah ah ah  they are IMO definitly ALL very very 'super good' tied !!!...wonderfully tied even !!!...

BRAVO !!!

Geert

PS...and I think that we ALL...when experiencing 'good' things with this pattern CONTINUE to 'use and fish' those patterns...and when discovering or experiencing or noticing things we ask ourselves why 'they the fly or pattern doens't work to what we had attended or felt the pattern would...we do something...

pstttttttttttttttttttttttttttt and the first thing I do with experiencing a to high 'floatation' on any sedge pattern  I am fishing ...is DIGGING OUT my scissors...and gifting my 'sedge or caddis.....aswell also all types of stoneflies' a good coiffure underneath !!! ..........Oh yes I do that when I am on the waterside and notice things who aren't to my expectations or what I feel can and must WORK with this typ of fly on my cast...

psttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt on the other side....I am not looking all to much to WING lenghts when tying sedges or caddis flies...aswell also on 'stone flies'...even better for me a bit to long...so that they can 'SKATE' or DO their 'acrobatic' and sometimes  'helpless' struggle attempts and 'voltages' to 'take flight again' ...or 'clamp themselves' with some luck on some vegetation (weedbeds) ...or on to a nice stonet(part) still partly visbile.   To just bring over that 'even' a overdressed winglenght' HELPS even to produce that !!!

my friend and one of my two Belgium mentors ...the bookwriter Mr.Hugo Martel...pictured a 'OLD' vintage "ALDER FLY" (SIALIS Luteria) in his  (privatly edited) book 'BELGISCHE VLIEGEN' (2003)...and I am sure YOU will say all WOW !!!

Geert

Attached Files

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#12 Bazzer69

Bazzer69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

I don't have the book any longer having lost my copy, but I'm sure the pattern in the book has a body on the underside dubbed on a piece of thread and attached after the deer hair body is clipped to length.  It's a great dry fly pattern here in Northern California