#1 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 10:40 PM

Hello,

The most estimable Dr. Vestal, my dear Colorado friend and Cotinga Club member and mentor, mentioned he was collecting donations for a box of steelhead flies the club would donate to a club in the Pacific NW for a fund raiser. It might be our friendship club that hosted the tying festivities in Renton last June.

Anyway, we talked about patterns. I mentioned that the only flies I'd tied in months were a few Humpies to teach a class and do a demo. He thought that would be fine. So I tied 3 each in 6 and 8. Finding hackle was a chore.

I sure hope they all end up in fish jaws. If Geert fished them, they'd all get lost in trees or bridge abutments. Sad.

Dale

Attached File  Humpy fix sm.jpg   136.21K   69 downloads

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#2 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:45 PM

Very nice Dale, I forget about this side of the forum, being a wet fly man!! I occasionally drift a dry pattern, but the whole messing with floatant does my head in. This looks a great fly to chuck at some brownies.
Seasons greetings
Dave

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 23 December 2016 - 11:48 PM

Thanks Dave!

I'm the opposite. All that I fish are dries, with the exception of swinging a classic wet now and then. Haha.

Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones.

Your new year resolution is FISG MORE DRY FLIES!

Haha.
Dale

#4 DAVEL

DAVEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:02 AM

I fished some dries this past season, but they were the bigger stimulator and some klinkhammers...I gotta fish'em more though...like you said, ain't nothing like see'n the take!..Nice ones Dale!

Merry Christmas to you and the family Dale.

Dave and the Girls

#5 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 01:51 AM

Thanks Dave. I'm happy you fished some dries. It is fun. And what u find us thT you can usually force feed trout dry flies.

These are pretty big, in theory sort of October caddis, which are large and active in Oregon, Idaho and Washington. Apparently steelhead take them. I'd fish these. But I wouldn't really want to tie very many of them. The tail hump and wing are all made if elk mane. Fabulous material fir tying dark humpy patterns. Good for billet heads too.

Thanks. Merry CHRISTMAS to you and the girls! We need to gab.

Dale

#6 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 826 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 03:43 AM

I like them Dale. I do fish dries alot for trout and salmon although most of my trout fishing is on a #12 adams. I think these would take salmon in some of the faster pocket water, they should float well

Stephen

#7 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

My dearest 'enemy to my heart'

PLOP...that is a once in a while 'sound' when I dive from a 'rock' (no not a bridge) into that famous DRY FLY POOL 'overhere' !!! hahahahaha

They are 'eyeing' soooooooooooooo well tied....realy they 'eye' SUPER ...a proof that with Your 300.000 dry flies YOU tied allready in Your longlife career ...YOU know how to tie them 'properly' !!!

Ah ah ah 'hours' only away of Christmas eve...I may for once putting some 'honey' on Your 'grey beard' hahahahaha....and making over that YOU are a 'SUPER somebody' and 'SUPER friend' for me (but I know also for many many others overhere)

psttttttttttttttttttttt those flies will be 'jumping' out when they will see them upthere in the North West....wink !!!!

psttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt and now I must to manage to see to 'crawl' out of this pool again...ah ah ah I SEE that 'rock' (no DD no 'bridge' for me hahahaha)

Geert and Nathalie 

Merry Christmas and stay safe on the roads...and profit of Your wonderful family !!!

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#8 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 12:22 PM

Stephen, thanks. The Adams is an all timer for a good reason. I'm with you. On the Boneventure I used s #4 Irrisitable Wulff in pocket water and landed a 20 pound salmon. It sipped the fly like a trout does a #16 PMD. Cool beans.

Mon Ami! Thanks. It was fun tying these. I thought about Adrian C and Aaron O because they fish dries for steeheading. I must say you are the finest enemy of the heart an old tall fat grey bearded burbler could have!! Being on the forum is worth the friends HEERT.

Merry Christmas! We're heading out on the road now. In eight or nine hours we will be at our daughters home in central Louisiana!
Love dd

#9 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,879 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

Beautiful flies Dale. I fish the same waters as Stephen using the same flies as he explained. Your humpies would work brilliantly for our large sea run brookies and salmon! Our smallies would devour them too!

Merry Christmas Dale. I look back fondly on our discussions last June!

Marc

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Hi Marc

Thanks! I long for more long discussions with you, but with one of these tied to our tippet, and Geert tied to a tree with an ant hill at his feet. We'll need to speak up to hear over his crying and shouting, telling us where to cast. When follow his instructions we'll find our dry flies snagged in trees. Oh well. He'll still need to participate.

Your fishing sounds great. Can Stephen come?

Merry Christmas to all of your family. My best to you in the coming year.
Dale
PS: we just arrived in Louisiana after an 8 hour drive. It's too hot and humid to be outdoors for long. HAHAHAHAHA