#1 James Daly

James Daly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:21 AM

Greetings all,
I ran into a materials wall with the grub project. So, while waiting for some things, I decided to try the hooks I acquired a couple of weeks ago. They are 3455 Mustad Kinsey's and are flatted, which makes a blind eye a little more difficult; As there is a need to remove the 1/8" flatted piece in order to get a good foundation. Hindsight 20/20, I should have snelled it. This little measurement proved costly in the finished head. It is very salmon flyish, instead of the bulkier, more bullet shaped MOM style that is desired with these IMHO (at least to my eye). That said, if I had left enough room for the head, the body would have been really scrunched, so I think it's a fair trade off. laugh.gif Anyway, this is a big swing from the Cassard I did a while back. I'm including a pic of the Lee's kensey, which was the base for the Cassard. There is a huge difference. All told, I'm liking the contrast of colors. It's a pretty little pattern. For your critique and amusement. -Jamie

[attachmentid=14954][attachmentid=14955]

Attached Files

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->And Jesus said unto them, "Come ye after me, and I will make you to become fishers of men". <b><i>The Book of St. Mark -1:17</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who so ever sheds man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed. For in the image of God, made he man. <b><i>Genesis 9:6</i></b>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"There is a pleasure in angling that no one knows but the Angler himself" <b><i>-William Blacker</i></b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<b>I have found, recently, that it is a good move on the flyfisherman's part to invest in a shed, garage or any other structure that is not connected to the main living quarters. Primarily as a respite, but also to quell any beatings, both verbal and physical that come from the feminine co-inhabitor. This, after finding dye, waxes and animal bi-products littered all over the kitchen, as well as the ceiling. A word to the wise.........don't use the good pots. -Jamie Daly</b>

#2 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 06:21 AM

Very nice fly Jamie!!! Those two hooks aren't even slightly the same!!!!! Not close! I wonder what's up with that. Is there a standard by which all Kinsey's are measured by? I have hooks here with it spelled kinsey and kensey
Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#3 Bud Guidry

Bud Guidry

Ragin Cajun

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,415 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

super little fly there jamie, Bud

RAmidbuck.GIF
MY FLY PATTERN DATABASE

FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT OF THE OFFICIAL CLASSICS PAGE SLACKERS CLUB
HONORARY WINNER OF THE 2011 BIGGEST SLACKER AWARD

http://flyfishline.com/art_gallery2.php

My mind belongs to this forum
My heart belongs to my family
My soul belongs to my flies

#4 WaterWolf

WaterWolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:03 AM

Beauty of a Cheney Jamie!!!!!!!

Ronn - The hooks aren't the same... I can show you pics of 4 different hooks of this style from different makers and they were all slightly different but all had the common feature of a shorter shank and wide gape. The Gaelic Supreme hook was replicated from the Allcock kensey 5907.. note the spelling.... Mustad, Woodfield and Sons and Milward spelled their hooks kinsey. When I have time I can photo all 4 (or 5 as Mustad had 2 types of kinsey hooks - one that Jamie tied this on and the other an almost exact mirror of the Allock 5907). Allcock was the only company to spell it kensey... all the rest were kinsey... and don't ask me why laugh.gif !! What was interesting to me was that it was considered an American traditional hook (and pointed out as such by Francis Francis who actually spoke highly of this hook in the book) - but have yet to figure out why it was considered American as not one I have seen was made in the USA - guess they were more in tune with our fish... particularly bass... I have also heard them noted as the American traditional bass hook.

Regards
Lee

#5 flykid

flykid

Alex Hayes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 10:52 AM

In my eyes that is perfect! It looks just like an original probably would.
Alex Hayes

E-mail address- [email protected]

#6 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

VERY VERY Beautiful fly/tye Jamie..............now how come i aint surprised? biggrin.gif You be consistant Bro. Btw, thankx for the recent inspiration........your Grub flies really got me to thinkin'.........you'll understand when you see my next posted fly pic, later today. Btw, the body is Mohair.....Orange, Yellow, and Wine (Claret)..... well..........most of the body..... tongue.gif

Does anyone know if "Any" of the hooks you've been discussing here, ever had an offset point. I know someone who has a pretty darn good size stash (for sale), of some hooks that look just like those, in some rather large sizes..........only the points are offset. ???????

mark wink.gif
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers

#7 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 02:51 PM

from the stuff i'm reading , the kinsey bend was one of the more popular bends form the early 1800's on AND that there were many subtle varities from the many different needle/hook manufactures from the Kendal, Redditch and Limerick boom-towns...not to mention all the other smaller towns...

add to the fact the a number of tyers cut the shanks to varying lengths according to their wants

beautiful fly , nice proportions

#8 bigdan

bigdan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 04:48 PM

Beautiful tie Jamie!!!

#9 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

And I have a unique "Kinsey" from Mustad (3926A) with a "spike bent back"

The shank is marked half way back on the shank, the end is tapered and bent up.

The more you dig into the hooks the stranger it gets.

[attachmentid=14958]

#10 willowhead

willowhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,300 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:06 PM

what about the offset points............did any of them have that?????????????????????
Mark J. Romero
94 Yorktown Road
Roscoe, N.Y. 12776-5017
607-498-9944 or
82 Stone Dog Lane
Lakeview, Arkansas 72642
870-431-8955
www.JazzMarkGallery.com
Swallows Nest Fly Tyers

#11 Mike Boyer

Mike Boyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 09 May 2008 - 11:30 PM

Gorgeous tie, Jamie. Personally, I like a bit longer shanked hook, and have never gotten used to the Kinsey/Kensey
style hooks. I'm just weird that way. blink.gif biggrin.gif

#12 taonga

taonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Hi Jamie

Where did you find the hook Mustad Kinsey? I think it is a perfect hook for tying some of Mary Orvis flies.

Best regards
Per

[email protected]

Remember to live your life, there are no replay of it!