13 replies to this topic

#1 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:18 PM

March demands a little change up in the menu ... so its Mongolian Grill and tying tonight.

I might have to give the Lucas "six feather wing set" a try tonight.

Will post an update tomorrow, but it won't be anything like "Hollywood Dave"'s video

#2 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 08:48 PM

Royce,

Three things...1) Thanks for your input on the Red Weaver feathers. 2) "Hollywood Dave" - Knowing Dave...Heaven help us now rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif  3) Looking forward to seeing whatever you guys work on tonight...or should I say cook up tonight. laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#3 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:09 PM

"I might have to give the Lucas "six feather wing set" a try tonight."

I'm wondering which fingers you are counting.  You need two to hold the wing, two to lift and hold the butts, and two more to pull the thread tight.  Then, you have to do some dodging around.  Once you get the collapse started in the right place so it won't shift forward, you can hold with your left hand over the tie down, holding both wing and butts while you use your right hand to properly lash down the wing.  Of course, you have to move off the butts for each wrap.  Then hold tightly as you tighten the thread.  I still invariably wish I had another hand to tie in wings. When I have used a third hand, typically for wings of 30-50 barbs, I hold the wing with three fingers, lift and hold the butts with three fingers and have someone else wrap and tighten the thread.

What winging really needs is a third hand routinely.  Charlie Chute once built a third hand device.  A weight with a  wire loop attached.  As I recall, you held the wing normally with your left hand, lifted the butts to localize the tie down, then set the weighted wire loop down on the tie down.  Then it was a simple matter to lash the wing down next to the wire loop.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#4 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:52 PM

Jim -  Lucas "six feather wing set"  is a full feather wing of 3 pairs, like a Ranger, set all at once instead of in pairs.

#5 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:06 AM

Jim -  Lucas "six feather wing set"  is a full feather wing of 3 pairs, like a Ranger, set all at once instead of in pairs.

Thanks for that.  I just misread what you had written.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#6 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 03:19 AM

Look at these veilings
[attachment=60931:IMG_20180326_201543.jpg]

#7 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 05:15 AM

"Mongolian grill"? Are you going to cut a hole in the ceiling to let the smoke out? Haha :D

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#8 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:02 PM

Hole in the ceiling, pretty much! The process is, you select meats, seafood, vegetables, noodles add whatever sauce ingredients you like (seasame oii, hot oil, garlic, soy, sherry, etc) and take them to a 4-5 ft round flat grill where a couple of cooks grill your mix and plate it for you.  And yes right over the grill is a large exhaust fan to a hole in the ceiling.  The octopus/squid was very fresh and tasty and when grilled quick didn't turn into pencil erasers!

As for the tying ... Ronn finished up another beautiful creation.... and then we both attempted the "Lucas six feather set".  My first attempt landed perfect, I then dismounted the feathers to try it again.  Interesting, we both found after messing around with the stems and trying to reset them it became more difficult to set them as a group.  Interesting when I moved the feathers where the thread was hitting a new spot on the stems it seemed to set again... I'm planning to play around with it this evening and see what happens.  I'm interested to know if the inner feathers are more likely to pull out when set as group.

pictures from last night to follow.

#9 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Tying ... Ronn describing a new veiling idea ... see previous post. 

[attachment=60932:r1 sm.jpg]

the 6 feather wing set in action, arrange the six feathers keeping the stems in line

[attachment=60933:s3 sm.jpg]

set wing with a 4-5 turns

[attachment=60934:s4 sm.jpg]

boom bang it's done

[attachment=60935:s5 sm.jpg]

[attachment=60937:f2 sm.jpg]

Hilda gives her approving inspection

[attachment=60940:h1 sm.jpg]

new RL completion

[attachment=60936:f1 sm.jpg]

Any ideas on how to share drawers and drawers of art work (30 + drawers like this)?

[attachment=60938:d1_sm.jpg]

[attachment=60939:d2 sm.jpg]

Food, flies, conversation, technical discussion, inspected OR indian long bows, and finally pawed through some old bamboo sections - maybe a piece to restore a tip on a 1907 CF Orvis rod, and March T&T was over.

#10 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 06:30 PM

And I agree....the food was good too. Thinking about the difficulty of remounting all the feathers, Royce got a indent on the shafts and I got one too, not from the thread but I showed Royce how after I mount whole feathers I lift the waste ends 90'  to "break" them prior to finishing the fly. I think the problem we both had after the first mount was the difficulty in lining up all six shafts without any crossing the others for the next mounting. I have successfully remounting the feathers two or more times without "breaking" the feathers.  

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#11 Barkworth

Barkworth

ClassicFlyTying.net

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 08:07 PM

Awesome, Royce. Ill have to try that!

Rv-

www.ClassicFlyTying.net

the reference guide for traditional salmon fly tying...

#12 Tidal

Tidal

Val Kropiwnicki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,841 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:50 AM

Love the body on that new fly Ronn!

#13 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 01:45 PM

Thanks. I need jealousy pills. Where's Geert when he's needed? Beautiful flies. Thanks for the story and pix
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#14 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 07:03 PM

Not only do I love the flies and the tying lessons...it looks to be just plain fun!!

I think Dale's right...I could use those jealousy pills too.

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me