25 replies to this topic

#21 jgogg

jgogg

Jim Goggans

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

I should also mention that is says right on the bottle of Veniard's that the solvent is toluene, rather than acetone.  It appears you can have gallons of that mailed here in the US.  Not sure why the gummit got a hard on about 1 oz bottles of head cement.  You might think they wouldn't want you to send the equivalent of gasoline through the mails in gallons, however.  If it weren't forty bucks a gallon, it would make a fine replacement for gasoline.  In fact, it was used as fuel in F1 racing for a while.

Darwin award winner of flytying

#22 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 10:43 AM

Here are a couple of links you may find worth a quick scan over, obviously relating to industrial use etc   http://tinyurl.com/osfcs3w       http://tinyurl.com/7ckfen6    

#23 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 11:26 AM

Just get the Veniard's.     http://www.ebay.com/itm/VENIARD-S-CELLIRE-NO-1-HEAD-CEMENT-3-BOTTLE-FOR-12-95-LOW-COST-OF-SHIPPING-/281689514512

If sellers balk at shipping to the US, it should be pretty simple to arrange for one of your facebook buddies to pick up some in the UK or Canada and mail it along to you.  The stuff hasn't blown up the mails in the last several decades; it is unlikely to now.

No doubt nail polish works fine.  It may well be the exact same chemistry.   However, Veniard's is the tradition....

It costs more than nail polish, but how much can you use??  I've been using the same two bottles for over a decade now.  And I tie a lot of flies!  The only reason I opened a second bottle was establishing a second tying location.

Thank you sir !!! Within minutes of seeing your post I placed my order. Should keep me happy for a little longer.

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#24 Marc LeBlanc

Marc LeBlanc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for the link Jim. The link you provided is to a local fly fishing shop. The owner's name is Luc Gagne, hence the name of his shop. I have known Luc for about a decade and you will be hard pressed to find a nicer gentleman anywhere. He offers great products and service. Marc

#25 redfishrflies

redfishrflies

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 03:29 PM

What about just straight black hobby/ model paint?

#26 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 01 June 2015 - 08:43 AM

If it's black you're after, you can get black nail varnish (goths a.o. use it) from £/$ shops.