• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JerriB

JerriB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:35 PM

I want to tie some small dry flies in some funky colors, lavender, rose, light purple, sky blue... and obviously, those colors aren't marketed. Has anyone tried coloring hackle with Sharpies, Copic markers, etc. and what's your experience been with those?
(Float issues, colors running, etc.) I bought a couple markers to try, but the season is pretty much done for dry flies around here now. I thought about dyes, but that would be overkill because I really want maybe 3 or 4 flies for each color to start out. 

Anyone ever experiment like that?

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:30 PM

Are you coloring quills? If so, try waterproof sharpies. After the quill is dry, apply a thin layer of head cement to seal the quill.

My suspicion is that any sort of water proof coloration will hold long enough to fish the flies. Another of room is but dyed strung tackle and strip to
Make quills.
Have fun.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:51 AM

My experience is markers will "matt" the barbules and probably not be a good option for dries. Heck, try a couple and see how it works. Report the results good or bad.

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#4 Mogup

Mogup

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

I agree with Ronn. I think they will matt. They do when I mark hackle for wet flies but matting isn't an issue so much with wets.

#5 dgotz

dgotz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:15 PM

Jerri:  Here's a thought.  Finish your dry fly with either cream or white hackle.  Finish the head.  The barbules at that point will be fully separated.  Using a true inline rotary vise, set the fly in motion and use your choice of indelible markers to apply the colors.  You've created a lathe.  Just thinkin....

dave

#6 A-ZFlyguy2017

A-ZFlyguy2017

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

Jerri,

Its been my experience that the markers will run a bit if youve colored feathers with them. Ronn is right that it will have a tendency to matte the feathers if you color it prior to tying. Since youre trying to achieve more drab tones, it may work coloring the feather, then rinsing in warm soapy water and brushing them out before and after drying with a toothbrush. This will help with colors running, though it may take a few applications of the marker to achieve the color youre looking for, it would be a good idea to remove any grease from the feather prior to marking. Sounds like an intriguing experiment worth trying!

Shawn