8 replies to this topic

#1 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:38 PM

I'm in a swap with my local forum guys...about the 8th year we've done it.  Typically its always saltwater flies (one can only come up with some variations of a sand eel you know?), but this year we agreed to change it up and decided (my dumb idea) to have a draw to see who would tie flies for various parts of the water column that would make up a fly box for day of trout fishing. 

I prayed for wet flies...I got dry flies, typical.  So i'm way out of the comfort zone here.

I tried some modern things, some CDC stuff, etc...and just didn't like them (like knotting pheasant fibers for hopper legs?  There is not a enough time left on this earth for me to do this hahaha)

I remembered in Bergmans Trout that there were some converted wet flies to dry...and figured what the heck.  I thought it be good to have a little fun with it.  Planning to tie two other patterns;  trout fin and haven't quite decided on the other, leaning McGinty.

I'll probably tie a companion wet fly, or perhaps a streamer with each too.

These are sz10...figured they'd fit the bill as a "stimulator" of sorts lol...lord knows we don't have a lot Grizzly King hatches around here :)

Need to work on my proportions a little...but i'm a bit limited on good dry fly hackle. 

Attached File  dries.jpg   147.91K   68 downloads

-Matt

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

Have fun.
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 03:55 PM

Hey Matt...they tied almost all the wets into a dry .   the coachman with doubled grey mallard wings, dark brown hackles/tail and peacock body is an easy yet excellent dry fly. 

If you're going to tie those old patterns dry , i wouldn't worry too much about the quality of the hackle...they just didn't have the access to the dry fly quality hackle we have today...size 10 is perfect....btw  nothing wrong with the proportions of your flies in my foggy eyes :)

#4 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:12 PM

cool, thanks guys...I figured they probably converted just about everything from a wet to a dry, to streamer etc...

-Matt

#5 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:23 PM

I am with Ted. The flies are wonderful. I also agree on the hackle. I find myself liking the variations you get with the old Indian/Chinese hackles over the newer genitic stuff. I know you can tie a million dries with one Whiting feather but I think it lacks the caracter of the old stuff. I hope that made sense to someone else besides me.lol

Stephen

#6 bags6lax

bags6lax

Stow, MA USA

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 08:39 PM

Makes sense! I have a lot of odd ball old Indian necks that I got from my grandfather. Little tricky to use, but at this size lots too choose from.

-Matt

#7 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Those are great!! I especially like the Grizzly King. I'll have to have a go at that. McGinty sounds real nice. Great job Matt!

#8 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:19 AM

Matt, I dug through a pile last year and noticed all the color variations and transluence they have over most of my genetic stuff so I started using them where I could. Didnt seem to catch any more fish but I felt more vintage doing it

Stephen

#9 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 07:37 AM

Dear MATT,

I don't come in here often...but I couldn't other...with the imput by YOU and STEPHEN and my 'dearest enemy to my heart' (the burbling 'pinkhater' DD)

pstttttttttttttttttttttt   those are 'ONE OF A KIND'...not that I would 'eat them' myself...but for me they are sooooooooooo well tied and are both looking gorgeous ...'the looks' those patterns spread in their 'wet' suit...as here in their 'naked' dry state (hahahahahaha) are gifting them something irrisistible....

ah good flytyers can tie 'every possible typ of fly' without tumbling in the water and drawning...........psttttttttt they simply BOBBER (euh ask DD ...I am good in bobbering hahahahahaha)

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013