9 replies to this topic

#1 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 01:17 AM

The other day in camp, a fellow and I were discussing fly patterns. He said he really like H&L Variants but no one carries them any more. I said I like Ike's fly, too, and I'd tie him a few. I tied a dozen; 6 ea 12-14. He wanted 14's so I gave him 3 and said I'd tie more when he needed him.

The next day I used a 12. See it?

Hope you're all well.

Attached File  HLVariant.JPG   76.59K   103 downloads

Attached File  HLVariantTrout.JPG   70.69K   93 downloads

dd

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#2 Isonychia

Isonychia

John McCoy, Huntington, West Virginia, USA

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,656 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:36 AM

Nicely done, Dale. That's a great old pattern!

John

Offending the sensibilities of discerning trout since 1955

#3 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 04:03 AM

Thanks John

I've always found it's very effective during our green drake emergences.

Do you know its story? I suspect that Teddy does: YO!! You out there Ted?

Often have I been in shops when old codgers came in asking for Ike's fly, only to receive blank stares from the young bucks running the store. Alas, a lesson followed.

#4 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 02:41 PM

sorry dale...i don't know the background on this one from the 70"s?  give me a little and i'll check up on it...

#5 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,084 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:44 PM

http://www.sparsegreymatter.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&p=40360&sid=5eb941ae7d0614f5601a42a2f5985715#p40360

try this

#6 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 22 June 2016 - 12:43 AM

Thanks Ted. Those links don't seem accurate. It was Eisenhower's fly on the Fraser River in Colorado and at Csmp David while he was pres. Maybe before and after, too; he could see it. Thought you might know more about it.

I taught a few more trout about it today. But they didn't know anything other then they'd made s mistake.

#7 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:36 PM

Dear ENEMY of my heart Dale,

YOU may sleep on Your both EARS (an NOT hear what I will bring over)..I will not come in overhere 'often' ...yes even YOU should 'post' each day a fly !!!...ha ha ha hahahahahahahaha

KNOWING YOU 'my dearest enemy'...YOU can CATCH FISH ON ANY 'GREY' fly...

LOVELY and I am not surprised YOU hooked something WHO had 'hunger' and wanted to say a 'hello' to YOU ...WHO wanted to be a couple of seconds  'in one of Your  big hands'...

Geert and Nathalie

PS...I come in here as I saw my 'friend' ALEC came in saying a 'hello' with a fly...psttttttttttttttttttttt yes I know YOU hate PINK (it's better that ALEC knows this !!! or not ?)

Say 'hello' to Your former blonde...YOU both receives also 'one'  by my Nathalie...isn't that wonderful hahahahahahaha

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Hey Guys,

When I began fly fishing some 50+ years ago I seem to remember a "Hairwing Variant" which was referred to as Ike's favorite fly in the Dan Bailey catalog. I also remember adding a couple to my fly box, but alas they are long gone and what some of the details were are also lost on me. I do remember distinctly what was a variant at that time would be something with a hackle 1 1/2 to 2 times the normal size for the hook, shortish body and slightly longer than normal tail. That hairwing versing was a rather dark pattern as well...something more for the early season in my mind. I believe the wings on the fly were also considered an unusual addition to a variant. I could be wrong about all this...but I'd sure like to know more........

Cheers,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#9 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:00 PM

George
I was never aware of variants re: oversized hackle, on western attractor patterns. Only learned about them when reading Catskill stuff.

This pattern was always tied as a Wulff, very similar to a white Wulff save the body end hackle. And from my first recollection it was referred to as Ike's fly.; folks said he could see all of the white.

I had a decent cutt follow a #14 today, but it rejected the fly when it started to skate too fast. Haha. It gave a good effort, dorsal fin out of the water and all, but wouldn't rise again. I imagined it wiping it's brow with thanks for having been saved a pull through the water against it's will. Another big cutt was less fortunate. Alas, Shan got a photo of him.
dd

#10 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 12:02 PM

Dale,

You are right about the Catskill stuff. I still have some Dun Variants and Gray Fox Variants tied by Elsie Darbee and they are as you would expect...pure Catskill in style. I believe the Dun Variant was a Darbee creation to imitate the Isonychia mayflies...aka Slate Drake. The Gray Fox Variant was to the best of my knowledge created by Art Flick as a Green Drake imitation, along with his BWO which was nothing but a small variant.

The Hairwing Variants I received all those years ago from Bailey's had the white calf tail wings but over sized...almost spider like hackle, and the wings did not protrude outside the length of the hackle...which means they would have been easily visible only to the fisherman. Like I said before the hackle, body and tail were all on the very dark gray side.

Like so many things, without any proper records or paperwork to confirm any of this we will probably never know the true answer. We've seen this in the salmon flies we tie..the changes in patterns from Francis to Kelson to Pryce-Tannatt as examples. Materials, proportions, style...they have changed dramatically over the years.

Great stuff and a fun discussion!!!

Cheers My Friend,

George

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me