3 replies to this topic

#1 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 12:12 AM

Just so Dale doesn't feel like he's the only one tying dry flies these days, I thougt I'd post some of my recent work.

Recently, I've been stocking up for my spring fishing trips. Most of them don't involve classic drys, though. However, I'm heading up to the the South Holston in E. TN soon, and needed a few drys for the trip. The SoHo has 2 main hatches, a size 16 sulpher dun, and a size 18 Blue Winged Olive. (There are also midges and blackflies.) Anyway, the attached are a few of the flies I've tied up.

These are fishing flies, and the first "small" flies I've tied this year. Not bad, for an old geezer, but I do need to work on a few things. These are magnified several times their actual size....

The abdomen segmentation could be better....
IMGP3029_zpsrqrnbffk.jpg

18 sulphers ready for some hungry fish.
IMGP3032_zps6qgvpfyu.jpg

The wing could be a bit further back on this one, or the hackle just tighter to the back of the wing.
IMGP3034_zpsmhuxujuf.jpg

The set of 6, ready for the fly box.
IMGP3036_zpspti9zkcf.jpg

#2 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 01:20 AM

Thanks!

These are lovely. A little different style but the trout will like them right up until you set the hook. Then they won't like them at all.

Please post others! My newsy fly tying booklet has a fair few mayfly emerger an adult patterns I really like. Wonder what you'd think of them?

Hope all is well. Have a great trip. I'll ecoect a full report.

Dale
Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#3 caddis16too

caddis16too

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 02:49 AM

These are fishing flies, and the first "small" flies I've tied this year. Not bad, for an old geezer, but I do need to work on a few things. These are magnified several times their actual size....

My motto is that if I can only see the mistake in "macro" it don't count.

Nice flies.

#4 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 04 April 2015 - 08:16 AM

Dear PAUL,

I don't come in often here (I am not even looking each week to this DRY forum...but if do ...I am surprised with each of the 'posters' their work...pstttttttt don't dear to say it loudly (euh mostly the 'inputs' by my GREY enemy of the heart DD hahahahahaha)

Ah it does soooooo heartwarming fine...to 'spot' YOU brought a EASTER bunch of real DRY FLIES !!!

They are gorgeous !!! and please don't listen to DD...TROUT WILL ADORE to 'eat' Your SULPHERS AND BWOoooooooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssss...

Hope everything goes well for YOU and Your wife and family !!!

With lots of respect

Geert and Nathalie

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013