#1 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

Hi.

While I applauded the launch of this page, I've submitted very few flies. As I'm writing two new books - Mayflies and Mayflies: Tying, I was going through old photos to see what I could use. Along the way, I came across these shots and thought you might be interested. Seeing the flies rekindles my love for beautiful dry flies - even though I tie them with a Western style.

Perhaps we'll get a little activity here?

Hope you're all well. It is snowing in east Texas.

Thanks for looking.

Dale

Attached File  BluQuill.jpg   122.98K   97 downloads Attached File  LtCahill.JPG   162.79K   113 downloads Attached File  MrchBrnGr.jpg   115.48K   114 downloads Attached File  Quills.jpg   116.78K   98 downloads

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#2 JoshP

JoshP

Bluefield, WV

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 05:33 PM

Beautiful flies Dale! I need to get off my arse and tie some dries. Soon..

#3 mzilliox

mzilliox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:02 PM

sweet dries, loving the quill body.  I also need to tie some trout stuff.  its been too long.

#4 taonga

taonga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:04 PM

Dale i hope all is well......

Here we are back to normal....and try to accept each others, we thoughts...

Your dryes are very nice and i look forward to the season where we can use such flies.

All the best to you and your fam.

Per

Remember to live your life, there are no replay of it!

#5 scnye

scnye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:57 PM

Dale, the flies are beautiful but as far as the snow goes, I have 10ft banks around my house so sorry, no sympathy from me.LOL

#6 Joe Raven

Joe Raven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:11 PM

Dale, my hat is off and my hands are clapping! I like what I see! 

These are the exact type of flies made me keep practice flytying in the beginning. Of course, the wing and hackle was often blended togeather in every direction, the body was 9/10 of the hookshank and everything was stacked where the head should be, and the head was covering up the eye, and everything was out of proportion. The best word to describe my dryflies from back "then" is; Dandelion. haha... The problem of trying to learn everything by yourself is to first fail in every possible way before you get it right.

Your flies looks perfect Dale, they are dandy without the lion. Well proportioned dries with good colors and materials. 

Thank you for sharing this and also make a little life in Classic Dry Flies Forum.

-Joe

Stillwater runs deep  

#7 caddis16too

caddis16too

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:23 PM

Nice set of flies.

#8 squire123

squire123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 12:24 AM

Great snowy day project Dale.

Regards,

Squire

#9 phg

phg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:15 PM

Dale, I like your use of quill bodies. I'm going to have to get off my lazy duff and tie up a few Appalachian style.... We tend to over-hackle too.

#10 Dale A. Darling

Dale A. Darling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:34 PM

Thanks you guys.

I do love dries - tying them is where my heart is. Now, tying them is very hard, though. Like I said, I found these photos looking through files and thought I'd share them. Probably tied these in the early 2000's.

I do hope each of you who say you want to, will tie some up - regardless of the style of hackle.

phg - I like the full hackle. A story you'll enjoy, perhaps. In  the early 80's when I started tying commercially - ten dozen a day, six days a week - I tied mostly dries. Well, as you'll recall, hackle was hard to come by. I found Steve in Lemont PA; he distributed for Bucky Metz. I never knew what I'd get, but ended up with enough to tie the orders. One time he asked me to tie a few dozen dries for his shop's bins, and sent me a sample. Id never seen a fly with  so much hackle! When I mentioned that he was an Eastern shop and wondered  at the fullness, he said he was a hackle distributor, and used a lot because he had it and wanted to sell more of it! So I tied Adams and a few other two-color hackle flies! Ha.

A good memory. Wow - how long ago was 1982?

dd

Dale "Fly fishing: a pleasantly addictive affliction"

My website here: http://www.riverforkpress.com
Voted 2017 sexiest fly tier of the year

#11 geraldsherbrook

geraldsherbrook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,617 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 07:18 AM

Dear DALE,

I know YOU ...YOU are a 'damned' good DRY FLY flytyer !!!...

Ah Western or Eastern ...Northern or Southern...I LOVE THEM ALL !!!

pstttttttttttt and my allwas saying words to 'good' things who come to 'our forum screen'...NO MORE WORDS...than...JUST WATCH AND ENJOY !!!

CONTINUE

Geert

Voted Sexiest Fly Tyer for 2013