18 replies to this topic

#1 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Just living the dream....

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:28 PM

Flynewsbrunswick (Chris) was looking for a way to mount his JS series of flies. Jim M made a suggestion and I use the same method of small clear glass beads and black wire. I've attached a couple of pictures which illustrate how the finish product looks.

Cheers,

George

Attached File  DSC_0002 (2).jpg   63.31K   243 downloadsAttached File  DSC_0003 (2).jpg   58.05K   253 downloads

Petri Heil,

George

"I've spent many days on the golf course and said I should have gone fishing.

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#2 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:41 PM

Thanks George this seems efficient and simplistic. Will try this method out

Chris

#3 Troutmaddave

Troutmaddave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:35 PM

Great idea, those flies look interesting!!

#4 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:00 PM

Great idea, those flies look interesting!!

Tied by the late great Megan Boyd. I got them while in the UK in the late 70's. One full dress only from her...but it is her pattern...the Brora.

Petri Heil,

George

But I've NEVER been on a trout stream or Atlantic Salmon river and said I should have played golf." - Me

#5 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Thanks George this seems efficient and simplistic. Will try this method out

Chris

Easy to do, inexpensive and effective. No glue...nothing. The beads are less visible on flies like many of us here tie...as in 3/0, 4/0 and up.

Petri Heil,

George

#6 Ronn Lucas

Ronn Lucas

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,301 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 07:53 PM

Excellent and Megan Boyd too!!

Happy Trails!
Ronn

My Website
http://www.ronnlucassr.com/
APPLE FRITTER BANDIT

#7 arkle

arkle

arkle

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

I use a similar method, but without the bead. Just mount exactly the same, but put the wire at the back of the head or through the gut loop, with the latter, mount the head end 1st, then use the rear to tighten it up.

#8 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

I think it was John McLain who told me he uses silver cone heads to mount flies this way...although I think white or even black would be a better choice. To my eye, raising the fly up off the backing adds a certain depth to the whole image...so I've stuck with that for the last few years.

Petri Heil,

George

#9 Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

Classic Salmon Fly Tyer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:47 AM

Excellent and Megan Boyd too!!

I made a trip to the UK fishing to fish the chalk streams in 1978, and long before going I placed an order with her for some flies and had them delivered to my hotel. I never fished any of them and they remained in the original packaging for many years before I decided to finally mount them. After learning from trial and error on my own stuff...well you see the result.

Petri Heil,

George

#10 Matt Inman

Matt Inman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,261 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

I use the same method noted above as suggested by John Mclain.  The silver cone head does tend to disappear and I have always used heavy black thread or wire to secure the fly.  

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is located.

#11 ted patlen

ted patlen

marstons mills, massachusetts....cape cod

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,089 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:58 PM

very clean look.  the flies are the show case and your eyes should be looking at whats in the frame and not the frame and matting. well designed.  Boyds!!!  well done

#12 fingers

fingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 08:26 PM

Most bead stores will have tube like clear beads in various lengths if you want to put the fly farther from the backer board and create a smaller profile.

Cheers, F

#13 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:44 PM

I did a start-to-finish post on my blog about making a shadowbox frame and mounting flies very similarly to the OP's method that you might find useful: www.theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2017/01/shadow-box-framing-start-to-finish.html

Gary

#14 roycestearns

roycestearns

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:59 PM

Hey Gary, glad you're here.  Gary did a lot of the displays while leading the American Museum of Fly Fishing in VT, and ties some very beautiful salmon flies.  I enjoy your blog too.

#15 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thank you very much for the kind words, Royce!

Gary

#16 A-ZFlyguy2017

A-ZFlyguy2017

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:43 PM

Thanks for the link to the blog and posting the steps to a beautiful end result for mounting flies! Perhaps this would be a great post for the tutorials thread. Very insightful and full of great tips to ending up with a great project to enjoy for many years!

Shawn

#17 GPT

GPT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

Glad it was helpful, and if the powers that be deem it appropriate, feel free to put the post on the tutorials section.

Gary

#18 Downdaline

Downdaline

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:20 AM

Hi All,
Here's another option, clear rubber stick on tabs. They are 1/2 in sq x1/4 in thick and are available in many local hardware stores. Other sizes are available for larger flies. They are clean, simple and easy to use. Lets you see the barb and suspends fly about 1/8 in above the mat. Mounting on a beveled double mat really gives depth.
If you really want clear glare free framing, use museum glass. It's amazing but pricey.

Here's what they look like.Attached File  image.jpg   87.4K   18 downloads
Dave

#19 Flynewbrunswick

Flynewbrunswick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 01:41 AM

Since were all throwing out Ideas The first set of flies I mounted, tied by  my son,daughter and I ,then gifted to my mother for Christmas(3 years ago). I used neodymium magnets(rare earth magnets)- these things are so strong. I mounted to a backboard. Flies will never move and you see nothing. Flies have still not shifted. Only problem is if you remove flies,  the hook becomes magnetic. Always wondered if a magnetic field would stop rust?